Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Cross-state Car Registration

Old 02-11-2007, 11:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need advice/tips/information on what it takes to register a car that was bought (from a private seller) in a different state (specifically, purchased in VA, will be registered in MD). Has anyone had to go through this? Any info will be GREATLY appreciated.
Old 02-11-2007, 11:35 AM

Vehicle: 97 Tiburon

pretty sure all you'll need is the title
Old 02-11-2007, 11:44 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

ya man you should be fine. ive done it many times from illinois to wisconsin without a problem. even florida to wisconsin
Old 02-11-2007, 12:34 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

If the title is not in the persons name that sold it to you, ie a creditors name make sure you have an original signed copy of the lien release. Otherwise you are going to run into problems.
Old 02-11-2007, 12:37 PM

Thanks for the advice guys. The one thing I should say about registering it in MD, is that it needs to pass inspection before it is registered......doing this will be a problem since it will be plateless. I am looking into getting a temp registration or trip permit.
Old 02-11-2007, 01:20 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Volkswagen Jetta GLI

more then likely if the seller signed over the title to you inwhich it is a clean title, all you would have to do is take it the DMV and get it titled in your name...it might cost you 10-30 bucks for title and just pay the register fee, also you might have to pay sales tax on it because it was brought in a different state...

the best people to ask about this stuff is the DMV for Maryland...just tell then your situation and they will let you know what exactly you have to do...

if you can't wait until Monday to talk to the DMV...then just do a search on the internet for there website(if you dont know it) and search there website...I am pretty sure they would have some information that you need to know about...
Old 02-11-2007, 01:30 PM

I have no problems with waiting until tomorrow, but who would you rather ask first: a group of people that love cars and love driving cars, or an organization that seems to hate all drivers nana.gif
Old 02-11-2007, 01:57 PM

I am actually going to do the same thing, (currently have PA tags, but will register in MD next month after I get my O2 sensor fixed so i can pass emissions. Yes you're right in MD you need to have it inspected before you get registered. I'm from VA and will actually move back in a couple of months but since both PA and VA require yearly inspections and emissions and MD only requires one for the life of the car, my choice is pretty simple.
Old 02-11-2007, 02:09 PM

some states are worse than others.. PA has to be one of the worst. When you buy a car out of state and bring it in (unless you owned it previously out of state and moved in state with the car and transferred the title) you need to bring the car to the statepolice first so they look it over and check to make sure the vin is correct and legal. Then they run the VIN (A process that takes a couple of days to a couple of weeks for some reason) and after it clears with them.. you can title it in PA
Old 02-11-2007, 02:29 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

I think NJ is one of the easiest to register(not talking about inspection though lol). You fill out a piece of paper, go to the desk, give the person your title (if its in state and your putting it in your name, it prints out right there) (if its out of state you get an NJ one in about 2 wks), pay the fee and your done. Dont even need proof of insurance, you just write down your insurance co. on the paper.

Sorry about the little OT.

But all you should need is the title, and youll be set from there man.