Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Computer question... (Power)

Old 03-23-2003, 10:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul
Default Computer question... (Power)

I'm having huge problems with my puter here. I've got it hooked into a power supply that changes the local 220 to 110.

Sometimes though as soon as I turn it on it goes off. Now, sometimes it'll stay on and I don't have any problems for an hour or so, then it just shuts off.

I have a heavy duty power supply also, one I use for our Microwave and stove. I drug it in here and hooked it up and the computer doesn't shut off or have any problems whatsoever.

Now, does this mean my power supply is going bad?

Second, I know the power supply has a switch on the back that says 220/110, is there a plug I can get to fit the Korean outlets and switch that to 220?

If so, do I have to worry about anything internally?

I'm running a AMD 1.1 GHZ and a 300W power supply.

Thanks ahead of time, good answers will recieve 5 stars, and if I've allready rated you, I'll send you some Kimchi!

LOL
Old 03-23-2003, 10:23 PM

It means your 220/110 adapter is underrated for what the computer requires, which is usually full rated power for a half second or so as all the hard drives spin up, CD-ROMS get initialized, fans spin up, etc.

Most computer power supplies will deal with anything along a 30 volt range from their rated voltage and any given frequency from 50 to 60 hertz.

You just need to go to a local computer store and buy a new power supply cable, with a korean end, and flip your PS switch from 110 to 220. The power supply can handle it from there. Your monitor is likely already 110/220 autoswitching. All the equipment will be labelled on the back or where the FCC ID label is kept as to what the power supply can handle. The IEEE plug on the machine end of the power cable is always the same, so a handful of new power cords should get you running with no adapters smile.gif

[ March 24, 2003, 05:41 AM: Message edited by: Random ]
Old 03-23-2003, 10:28 PM

Great.

One question on that since you sound like you know power...

How the hell does Grounding work on these outlets here? I'm wondering because don't the outlets on the back of the power supply (Computer) have 3 terminals?

I should also prolly note that the computer was working fine with the monitor, printer, USB powered hub, VDSL modem, AND my 4 port switch all powered in one. When I switched it to just the computer and monitor on one 220/110 transformer, and everything else on another, I still have the same problem. I was almost positive it was my Power Supply until I tried the Heavy Duty (I mean this thing was made in like 1962) transformer and had no problems.
Old 03-23-2003, 10:36 PM

Yeah, the computer itself is going to pull 300W. The big old one is likely just a transformer... the smaller converter probably tries to do frequency conversion, meaning there's silicon in there, and it just can't dump the heat fast enough to stay with your machine. Those usually are 50-100W max.

As for grounding... (googles for pics of korean outlets)... yup, 240v/50Hz. The PS should handle it fine, but you're *ungrounded*. Welcome to 1954 smile.gif Shouldn't hurt anything, but you'll find out real fast if you have a ground fault in any of your equipment. BTDT, I got a nice 110V flow through my hand once from an ungrounded machine that had gotten damp.

So essentially find an adapter or new cable, and keep the coffee cup away from the power supply, and you'll be fine. Just make sure the power supply is marked as being able to handle 240/50 before you plug and play, or you might let the smoke out.

I worked at RadioShack for 5 years, the one in the closest mall to the local airport, and we got a *lot* of internationals looking to do exactly the opposite of what you want, and locals getting adapters before going overseas.

[ March 24, 2003, 05:41 AM: Message edited by: Random ]
Old 03-23-2003, 10:37 PM

If you can afford one, try getting a UPS (Uninterruptable Power Supply) to regulate your voltage.
Old 03-23-2003, 10:40 PM

240/50?

Uhm...

I see it's got a red switch for 220 and 110.

Same same?

Skitzo, I found one at work that no one is signed for, it's not even on the books. I may bring it home.

5 stars each though. Thanks alot.