Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Is college worth it? 57 Percent Of Americans Say Nope

Old 05-24-2011, 02:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2004 Accent GT
Default Is college worth it? 57 Percent Of Americans Say Nope

The majority of Americans think that college is not worth it. 57% of the general public thinks the U.S. higher education system fails when it comes to providing students with good value for their money, according to a new Pew Research Center study.

http://www.businessinsider.com/is-co...#ixzz1N1dyJnqb

http://www.businessinsider.com/is-co...orth-it-2011-5

Wish I knew this before enrolling into school.
Old 05-24-2011, 02:54 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

I fully agree. If used PROPERLY you can get a good education that is useful, but most people don't.
Old 05-24-2011, 02:57 PM

Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

Yeah, they must have specifically poled people who are satiated with their walmart careers

I have been suffering for years with BS pay, always getting passed over for the good jobs due to my lack of degree. Now just being back in school all sorts of opportunities are available. It's a total crock deigned to keep the masses ignorant. Get educated, get a real job and stop listening to this kind of nonsense.
Old 05-24-2011, 03:55 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

I have a degree. 5.5-year B.B.A. with a double major

My wife does not. She's working on completing it - will have her B.S. (or B.B.A.?) completed within the next 12 months.

I make only $5,000 more than my wife, and she had to bust her ass to prove herself and get promotions. I've been promoted only mildly, but it's more of a years-of-service related status/pay.

In today's economy, it seems like having a degree doesn't matter at all. I know so many people with degrees who can't find a job. I know a few without who are doing great as their own entrepreneurs.

Hard work pays off more than a degree. HOWEVER, for some careers like mine, a degree is the only way you can hold those positions and an advanced degree is the only way to advance into upper management.

Our interns who haven't even graduated yet make $15/hr. That's equivalent to a $31,200 salary. That right there tells me a degree provides more opportunities.
Old 05-24-2011, 08:01 PM

Vehicle: 1991 Impulse RS

Screw the degree and get into a trade! I'm an HVAC-R mechanic (heating, ventilation, a/c, and refrigeration). I LOVE my job and all the perks that come with it. And the 80K/year salary is pretty sweet too!
Old 05-24-2011, 11:04 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

although a degree might not seem worth all the trouble and endless loans and will not provide the benefits it used to, i know people who do not and will never obtain a degree and i never in my good conscience EVER want to be like them.

there are a lot of bad people that have little brains with degrees too, but college separates the good ones from the ones that stir trouble and the world (society) will put them in their proper place instead of school.

there are smart people without degrees, but they learned things themselves or have had some kind of outside help. someone who is smart enough will have the desire to make some sort of living.

a degree gives people some status. it addresses a level of competence, and like Majik said it will offer easier promotions. i know that most (NOT ALL) of the graduates at my university are highly respected and have a good wealth of knowledge and sharpness which is partially why i chose to go.

college is used mostly for starting your career and building apprenticeships. some colleges offer poor internships, or poor education and funding, so it's not possible to move up. some colleges put students down. some professors are hired off the street. it varies so much on so many levels that i believe there is barely a proper answer to this question.