Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Cash or plastic

Old 03-13-2012, 03:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2004 Tib
Default Cash or plastic

I almost never have cash on me. I use my bank card for 99% of all my purchases, and I've gotten really good at keeping track of my purchases so I know exactly how much I have in the bank at any given time. Anyone else use their bank cards mostly than cash?
Old 03-13-2012, 03:04 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

I replaced my bank card with something that gives me rewards. I saw zero benefit in using a debit card when I could be using a credit card that gives me something in return. For the last 6 years I've been paying everything I can on my credit card and simply paying it off after I receive the statement.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:41 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

^ this.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:18 PM

Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

I feel a little uneasy paying for things on credit though, even though I know I've got the money to pay it off. I just hate the idea of owing somebody something, it hangs over my head.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:59 PM
Super Moderator

Shoot, you should have been me, writing a check for $3600 last week to the CC company. Depending on how you look at it, you don't "really" owe them . . . for a while. You can change your thinking to increase peace of mind. Get a card with a month-long grace period and pay it off every month, you never pay any interest. It's like writing checks and they're all post-dated a month. I guess this is how the next generation learns how cool it was to float checks. Assuming you don't spend more than you make, just this liberating "float" is worth using a card you pay off every month.

And then, in the worst case scenario if you have some sort of an emergency, you have a few bucks of interest to pay, when you get back in the regular swing of things.
Old 03-14-2012, 07:43 AM
Administrator

I buy what I want, what I can afford, and what I need. If I can't afford it, I don't buy it. $3,600? I've doubled that a few times I'm typically around $5k/mo. but that includes all expenses, and some is company reimbursed.

Credit cards offer amazing benefits. Cash back, airline miles, hotel points, etc.

I'm flying to Belize this summer and I covered roundtrip airfare for myself, my wife, and 4 other friends. Over $4,500 in ticket savings because I use credit cards Now, I need to figure out how to maximize cash back instead, and whether it'll net me more than my int'l travel savings.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:55 PM
Super Moderator

Hey not everyone gets paid based on their HA reputation score there buddy! I pay my bills with CHECKS (yeah that's right PAPER ones) or else it'd be a lot higher.

I remember when we were first starting with this card and I almost choked over that $1500+ first check.
Old 03-15-2012, 08:11 AM
Administrator

Electronic Fund Transfers. One of Bank of America's biggest strengths is its online banking. I have zero reason to use a check book, unless donating to a charity that doesn't take a credit card or electronic payment (understandably) simply for the purposes of paper trail documentation for tax deductions.

Old 03-15-2012, 08:26 AM

Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

I use one of these for most of my purchases:

It is a credit/debit card, so I can still use paypal/eBay etc, but otherwise it acts as a normal eftpos card. It is just more convenient than carrying lotsa cash around.

Having a chequebook would be really badass, but these days most shops don't even accept cheques due to the long clearance times.
Old 03-15-2012, 09:59 AM

Vehicle: 2004 Hyundai Accent

credit card all the way. i'm quite good with keeping a rough idea in my head so i just pay it off in full every month. i have not payed a penny of interest in years. then i also get the returns for whatever card it might be (small % cash back, points, etc.)