Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Car Meets

Old 04-19-2015, 04:52 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring
Default Car Meets

I really haven't been to car meets in about 7 years. There's only one that I occasionally attend and that is because it is run by a tight group of friends, is legal, and the people who attend are older with classier cars.

The reason why I don't go to other "popular" meets is because they are mostly "illegal gatherings" and there's always a few that do burnouts, haul ass through the lots, bring guns, start fights, and attract the cops in less than an hour. It used to not be this way. The car scene has gone so downhill that I wouldn't want to risk my car or life at a meet.

Is it the same everywhere?
Old 04-19-2015, 10:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 84 VW Rabbit, 01 Audi A8L, 08 VW GTI

I'm sure other cities have "The Lot", where people go to hangout on weekend nights, these aren't usually organized, and usually attract the people that do half***ed burnouts and donuts. The same type that usually leave trash all over the pavement when they leave. People pulling guns on each other (happened a handful of times last year) That behavior gives the community as a whole a bad reputation.

^That's why I tend to avoid "The Lot."

I'd say a lot has to do with the people organizing the meet (if anybody is)

In my car group I'm fairly strict about reckless driving. Anything posted on our group page, like burnouts, donuts, or anything not normally accepted in the Community gets deleted.

When we do meetup we try to drive respectably, we don't want The Group to get a bad reputation. We don't want to cause damage to each other or anybody around us if something does go wrong. There are the occasional highway pulls, I can deal with that, because the people are usually smart enough to not do it around other cars.
Old 04-20-2015, 05:10 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Tuscon

This is true everywhere. The meets I attend the median age is above at least 30 and it shows. Any one that tries to act a fool will be confronted and told not to come back.
Old 04-20-2015, 06:30 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

Same here...most of the meets that are formed are young kids just being idiots. The older crowd doesn't go out much and mostly just sticks to actual shows where the illegal asshat shenanigans don't happen, nor do you have to worry about cops meeting their monthly quota's in one day/night.
Old 04-20-2015, 06:59 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

The car shows/races are where I try to hang out now, however they are dwindling away here. Race tracks are closing down all across the country leaving no venue for shows/racing. We had a local track close down 10 years ago, and now the only one left also closed a few months ago. The word is that NHRA may buy it, but I'm not getting my hopes up.
Old 04-20-2015, 03:59 PM

Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

Most of the meets in this area are organised by a local crew of youtube street racers. You do the math.

2 years ago before the one in my area dissolved, the Tuesday night meet was booted from 4 different lots in the course of 6 weeks. After that I gave up on the meet scene and only go to shows and our local Caffeine and Octane/Exotics shows. From time to time ECKDM has a few, but the Genesis crowd is quickly becoming as immature as the GK Tib group.
Old 04-21-2015, 01:26 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

I don't do many anymore and pick and choose which I go to. I haven't organized a meet in over a year after the knuckleheads in the area made it impossible to keep them under control.