Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

The Car Debate.

Old 07-26-2007, 07:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Elantra

After a lovely week of totalling one truck and another car being pretty banged up, my girlfriend and I were discussing what we are going to do about are transportation situation. Both cars we have, a 2000 Elantra and 1994 Chevrolet Cavalier are both in decent mechanical condition, nothing wrong with them, just some scraps and bumps on the body of the Elantra. The Cavalier was in excellent shape until the accident. It has 46,000 miles on it, sat in a garage for most of it's life and was owned by a old man. With the extent of the damage though, we may think insurance will attempt to total it out, leaving us with one primary car. We have been tinkering around with the idea of getting something alittle newer and more comfortable for us.

Since I drive a work truck Monday-Friday, I don't need a second car most of the time. She works odd hours, but we still rarely need that second car. I've been looking around and it seems that it would be 400-600 to repair the Cavalier with parts from a junkyard. If we do this, she would have her vehicle again, and the Elantra would sit more then its driven.

The insurance on the two cars for six months was around 700 dollars. If we were to get a new/newer car, are insurance would be about the same for full coverage as opposed to liability for two cars. Of course, we would also have a auto loan for a car, which we can afford around 400ish a month for a loan.

My question, what would you do, would you keep the two current cars, fix the Cavalier, and wait a few years until they start to fall apart? The more I think about it, the more I don't think we NEED two cars, but again, both are paid off and low on the insurance.
Old 07-27-2007, 05:06 AM

Vehicle: 2004 Volkswagen Jetta GLI

what i would do is not get a car note, thats money that stays in your pocket...i would fix that Cavailer and let her drive that...

thats my opinion...but do what's best for you
Old 07-27-2007, 06:19 AM

Fix the Cavvy and put that $400 into savings each month. I prefer Treasurey bills, I put $50 aside every week
Old 07-27-2007, 06:51 AM

Vehicle: 2000 tiburon

if you dont really want a new car then dont get it. i guess you could pick up a used second car that cost under 10k that way it dosent have a hefty car note to go with it.

if you think you can fix the cavy i would do that then sell it, then sell the elantra and get a new daily for the both of you. have the money from the cars as either the whole amount of one hell of a downpayment on a new new car.