Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Can Someone Hold My Hand Again?

Old 07-06-2006, 07:56 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

I just want to make sure I'm getting the right thing and a good deal. I'm looking for a computer case. As far as I know, they all have the same stuff except for the power supply wattage.
I was browsing Ebay and saw this one that seemed pretty cool. I liked the temp display on the front and how many bays it has.
http://cgi.ebay.com/712-Mid-Tower-ATX-Blac...9QQcmdZViewItem

I'll probably throw a HD fan in there somewhere. Does this case have enough for cooling? My current one only has the simple fan on the front. So I assume anythings better.

Also, am I correct to say that all new motherboards are ATX's now? And that the case will fit my new Gigabyte board?

SATA!!! What exactly is SATA? At first, I thought it was a data transfer cable. My motherboard has an input for it like this:

But then I saw that there was a powersupply with a SATA connection. I was WTF? So now I'm confused on what SATA really is for (data or power). dunno.gif
Old 07-06-2006, 09:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2015 Subaru WRX

Often abbreviated SATA or S-ATA, an evolution of the Parallel ATA physical storage interface. Serial ATA is a serial link -- a single cable with a minimum of four wires creates a point-to-point connection between devices. Transfer rates for Serial ATA begin at 150MBps. One of the main design advantages of Serial ATA is that the thinner serial cables facilitate more efficient airflow inside a form factor and also allow for smaller chassis designs. In contrast, IDE cables used in parallel ATA systems are bulkier than Serial ATA cables and can only extend to 40cm long, while Serial ATA cables can extend up to one meter.

Got that from here: http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/S/Serial_ATA.html
Old 07-06-2006, 09:33 AM

Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon SE

the sata connector on the powersupply would be for a sata harddrive. they often have a different power connector then the old pata drives.
Old 07-06-2006, 10:02 AM

Ahhh, I was looking into the 500GB SATA drive they have at Best Buy. I didn't know that I would need a special power supply to run that one.......or do I? sad.gif

Here it is: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?sk...d=1142294266760

I don't see anything about power supply requirements.
Old 07-06-2006, 10:37 AM

Thats a big harddrive.
some of the SATA drives allow you to plug the old style of power connectors into them, but there is a new standard for power connectors on SATA drives. There are also adapters that switch between the 2 styles. maybe one comes with that drive. if not I have like 1 billion here I could mail ya.

I can probably get you a Western Digital HDD 500GB with a 3 yr warranty (not 1) for $280 plus shipping to wherever you are and could ship it with an adapter if you want. Let me know if you are interested and I'll get one from my supplier.
Old 07-06-2006, 11:07 AM

Thanks for the info! I'll have to go read the box to make sure it has the proper connections, or ask WD.
I'm actually getting that one for about $50 cheaper from a hookup. But thanks for the offer.
Old 07-06-2006, 11:12 AM

no problem. if you need that adapter let me know.
Old 07-06-2006, 11:21 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Just so you know on the case side of things. I have purchased many cheap cases with the power supplies in them. When you buy a cheap cool looking case with a power supply its normally a cheap power supply, and all of the cheap cases that I have bought, all 4 of there power supplies went. I would suggest looking into a little bit more expensive case with a better power supply. Antec for instance makes a pretty good power supply and there cases are not that expensive
Old 07-06-2006, 11:29 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

^^^Or stick with the cheap case and upgrade the power supply.
Old 07-06-2006, 12:16 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

my suggestions man, which are coming from a guy that has built 1 computer. so im a newbie still.

dont get a case with a front temperature display. they are innacurate(you have to tape the temperature sensors where you want them), chances are you wont be able to see the weak lcd display from a normal looking down angle, and are really more of a bother with the blue than cool. thats coming from a led guy too. for reference, here is the one i bought:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16811162027

it was pretty solidly built and the power supply(although loud) is still going strong after 1.5 years.

i thought the blue stuff everywhere would be cool, but if i build another one it wont have any led fans or blue displays on it. id go with getting super quiet components and just a plain black aluminum case with good ventilation, bunch of bays, and ports on the front.