Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

camera memory card

Old 02-19-2010, 04:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX
Default camera memory card

I just got my camera for my graphic design stuff. but i didn't buy the card because i need to have some suggestions. Can you give me some suggestions on memory cards? i've read that a higher speed class memory card (like a 4) is better for HD video.

i have a Canon 780 by the way: . i'm going to be shooting a lot of video, so i'd like a lot of memory. price isn't really an option since it's tax deductible.
Old 02-19-2010, 04:24 PM

Vehicle: 03 Hyundai Accent

Newegg.com smile.gif

Check what your owners manual recommends and go with that.
Old 02-19-2010, 05:10 PM

^ahh smart. thank you. smile.gif
Old 02-19-2010, 05:38 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

Owner's manuals are usually a little behind when it comes to recommending storage media. Newer, faster stuff has probably come out since the manual was written. If the camera takes SD, go with the fastest you can afford. Speed matters for video, not so much for pictures.
Old 02-19-2010, 09:19 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

Taking HD video probably will be pretty sensitive to your SDHC card speed.

You'll HATE your 3x optical zoom within a week. Especially when taking video. You would have been a lot happier with the PowerShot SX120 IS for a similar price if you could live without the HD video capability, and WAY happier with the PowerShot SX20 IS if you could have stepped up a bit in price.

1X zoom video:
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Tg9EMxCpkvw"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Tg9EMxCpkvw" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

12X zoom video same camera same course
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/LQv9e6EwK9M"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LQv9e6EwK9M" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Canon Powershot S2 IS camera BTW
Old 02-19-2010, 10:53 PM

Vehicle: 03 Hyundai Accent

QUOTE (i8acobra @ Feb 19 2010, 04:38 PM)
Owner's manuals are usually a little behind when it comes to recommending storage media. Newer, faster stuff has probably come out since the manual was written. If the camera takes SD, go with the fastest you can afford. Speed matters for video, not so much for pictures.

True, but it's like buying a USB 2.0 device for your computer's 1.0 port. Not going to provide you any benefit to overpower your device.
Old 02-19-2010, 11:24 PM

Vehicle: 2002 Accent

+1

at least you got a cannon though, good on you haha. cannon for life
Old 02-20-2010, 01:10 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

QUOTE (03-accent-03 @ Feb 19 2010, 09:53 PM)
True, but it's like buying a USB 2.0 device for your computer's 1.0 port. Not going to provide you any benefit to overpower your device.

Any camera made in the last 2 years can use the current fastest SD cards.
Old 02-20-2010, 05:15 PM

the good thing about this camera, is it uses the same cards as the Rebels XT's. i don't think they won't be updated anytime soon.

they recommend SDHC (high speed) i just read some reviews and they recommended the Lexar and Skandisk brands as the best cards, however the Transcend brand showed the fastest megabyte transfer rates and it was rated at speed 6 which they recommended for the 780 so that's finally what i ordered. so i got the 16 Gig. i wanted the 32 Gig card for $90 but 16 Gigs is enough for about 2 and a half hours of filming.

You'll HATE your 3x optical zoom within a week.

i already do, it's so __tty! but i needed something very compact and high quality, since i will be doing some interviews. you couldn't be more right about the SX120 IS though, it's a powerful machine better for film. what a difference between 3x and 12x! however i have had a similar camera (i forget what kind i don't have it now) and it was too large and noticeable when traveling.

+1

at least you got a cannon though, good on you haha. cannon for life

i went through 5 printers. three hp's (scanner would scan crooked, and computer would lose the connection) and two Lexmark. all of them ended up in the trashcan. bangsign.gif ever since i bought my Canon, my life became simplified. they're dependable and easy. cartridges even light up when they need replacing.