Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Best Time To Quit?

Old 06-24-2008, 10:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So my Permanent Residency in Canada was approved, and I should have my visa by the end of July. I'm planning on moving back up there the first week of August, which is 6 weeks from now.

My question is, when and how should I tell my boss that I'm leaving? I know 2 weeks is the standard, but would 6 weeks notice be too early? Everyone here is aware that I would be leaving at some point, just I never knew when until now.

Also, how should I approach him about it? When is the best time? Should I jump on him first thing in the morning, or what? I've never had to quit a job before. And the thing is, my boss isn't really the approachable type, kinda hard to deal with. And he'll have to find a replacement for me, I know that.
Old 06-24-2008, 11:22 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon

you should let them know right away for several reasons I think. I have had to put in notice many times and most bosses don't think two weeks is enough time. The guy that just quit here gave his notice on the 12th. His last day is on the 3rd. He already has a replacement but there is a lot of information that he needs to relay to the new guy. There really never is enough time for that (because were talking years of info) but the more time given the better chance the new guy can retain info. Or in your case the better chance a replacement can be brought in before you leave.

I have quit jobs for a better opportunity four times and each time I was hesitant to approach the boss and let him know. Don't hesitate, and don't worry about how to say it or any of that. Just get it out because once you do you get the best feeling of relief. You get 6 weeks of that 2 week notice period, which if you ask anyone that has had those two weeks they will tell you is easy street. Your work becomes practically stress less and everyone begins to acknowledge the change of you not being there before your going. So basically you start to just "hang out" at work.
Old 06-24-2008, 11:33 AM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

If he were to fire you tomorrow, how would that affect you?

Do you feel that he would let you go as soon as he found your replacement? Before he found your replacement? Or would he let you finish your time there?

Number 1: Protect Yourself
Number 2: Don't burn any bridges (don't piss anyone off)

You don't want the boss man to find out from anyone except you, and you want him to be the first to know (or at least feel that he was).

Since you know so far in advance, I would give him at least 4 weeks notice, and be prepared to let him know, "I'll need off on 7/20 to help facilitate the move" or "My last day will be 8/1, but I will need to take off 3 days some time before that to help prepare for the move."

The more professional you are about it, the more information you can provide to him to show that you're organized and have everything planned out, the better the discussion will go. And of course, try to catch him on a good day. You don't want to spring this on him the same day his wife files for divorce.

It really depends on your position, how long it would take to find a replacement, how long it would take to train your replacement, and how much you rely on being able to work out your remaining days there (do you need the paycheck?). I would tell him as soon as possible, but there's no harm in waiting a week to think about the situation and get it together in your mind. 4 or 5 weeks is more than adequate and professional.

In my department, we just had a lady give two weeks notice, and she had known for 3-4 weeks that she'd be leaving (she was pregnant and had no desire to return to work). It's especially hard in our situation because it's a specific job, requiring a CPA certification and specific work experience. We still haven't filled the position and it's been 5 months, but it's not something that we would need to train someone to do once they were hired. Every position is different, but the more notice you provide the better it will be received.
Old 06-24-2008, 12:07 PM

Well, all he'll have to do to find a replacement is put an ad in the paper. It's a $10 an hour admin assistant job, so not a huge deal.

I'll tell him on Thursday. Should I tell him in the morning when he first comes in? I mean, I don't wanna barage him first thing when he steps in the door, but after he has come in a settled in. And I assume telling him face to face would be better than over the phones (his office is far from my desk and sometimes he doesn't come out for hours, and Im not really allowed to go back there unless he asks me to). He's just a difficult person to deal with, not very approachable at all. Sometimes he comes in and walks right by without even acknowledging me at all, no hi how are you or even eye contact sometimes.
Old 06-24-2008, 12:22 PM

Well if he is like that then just give 2 weeks. Do you have others who depend on what you do to do their job? If so you may want to start writing down how you do stuff so that you can give them at least a little more. If your job is directly tied to the boss then 2 weeks. If he were human (aka more then just strict strict professional) I would give more time, but seeing as he does not even say hello some mornings I doubt he would miss you. Your not on his radar. Sounds hard but face it its just professional with him.
Old 06-24-2008, 12:29 PM

Well, the situation is that I'm a secretary, and there are 2 other secretaries who work on my days off and at night. And we switch shifts sometimes, so they would be the ones missing me more than anyone, since i have been so flexible with my schedule and have always covered for them if they needed. The both know I will be leaving soonish. I think I will tell them first tomorrow, and then him on Thursday. They wont say anything to the boss before I do.
Old 06-24-2008, 01:00 PM

I think Thursday is a good idea. Probably a little before lunch but face to face for sure. I would ask him for a few minutes to discuss something personal. Then lay it on him. Your boss doesn't sound so strict, more busy and professional. A lot of people think you have to make small talk to be nice but many avoid it just because of their already busy work load or just because their not into small talk. I do and I'm not strict at all.

Besides your boss can not fire you for putting in your notice. He can not fire you for the amount of time you give either. He can not fire you at all unless you are doing something against company policy or you are not doing your job. I'm sure someone like you has no worries with either so being fired is not likely. Plus even strict assholes, and I have worked for them and quit on them, will not fire someone just because they have a different opportunity or future goals (such as relocation).

People think you burn a bridge when you quit but as long as your professional its very rare to burn a bridge. I actually went back to work at a place I quit two years previous and got my old job back and for more money even. And now that I'm considering relocating, I may go back and ask the CEO if he can hire me where I relocate. I still consider that bridge not burnt after quitting the same job twice already.
Old 06-24-2008, 01:02 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

I think the best thing to do is to advise him as soon as possible so that it gives him adequate time to not only run the ad, but to set up interviews, select someone, then train them.

When he comes in first thing, just ask him if he could spare a minute at some point during the day because you would like to talk to him. Don't go into detail, just kind of make an appointment with him. As his secretary, you know his schedule, so you have an advantage that way. When you sit down with him, let him know the situation, what you're plans are. Make sure that you offer to fully train your replacement, that way he won't have to worry about jumbling the schedule to cover when you're not there. He may even decide that he really doesn't need 3 people.

Be as professional and curtious as possible. Everyone is approachable, you just have to know how to get through to them.

Make sure to use a line similar to:

"I've enjoyed working here, and out of respect for you, I feel that I should give you more notice that what is typically required."

If I were to even start looking for another job, I would let my boss know. I know that it wouldn't be held against me, and that I would be supported because he's like that. If I can't reach my full potential here, he'd rather see me do it elsewhere than stick around here wasting my time.
Old 06-24-2008, 01:32 PM

Vehicle: 2001 hyundai tiburon

for jobs i didnt like = 2 weeks

for jobs that i loved being there everyday = as much as a month or more

ive had unapproachable bosses before liz and sometimes you just gotta grab them by the ear, spread them shoulders wide and just look them in the face.

I had a boss one time that didnt like me from the get go cause i was family of his supervisor. it was not my fault, my mom got remarried but it was a big chip on his shoulder cause he thought i got special treatment cause i started at a higher rate in welding compared to all the other poens. he didnt take the fact that at the time i had 10 years of experience under my belt, i was the same age as them.

I finally cornered him one day and told him, looking in his eyes, that just because i was related to the boss didnt mean crap, look at my work record or call my prior jobs, and he did. after that, we were buddy buddy and he actually told me the reason why he didnt like me.
Old 06-24-2008, 02:03 PM
Banned

im going to leave a 2 weeks notice when i quit. i would do more, like a month or so, but i have been very disappointed where the place i am working at handles things. the job itself is pretty good, but the office politics is crap.

if i was happy with my position, i would leave around a month or so notice.