Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

being too knowlegable/intelligent is a bad thing

Old 09-15-2010, 07:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Elantra
Default being too knowlegable/intelligent is a bad thing

someone raised a point during a discussion: people who are intelligent or who do a lot of thinking - even if this thinking results in them making better judgments and less mistakes - usually lead an unhappy life or are less happier than the average joe down the street who just gets on with his daily life using instincts.

this person explains that people who think a lot tend to have both positive and negative thoughts fighting in their heads, plus self doubts, frustration and constant struggles between their thoughts and reality, etc . all of which take their time and mind away from truly enjoying life and contribute to their unhappiness. its like you cant fully appreciate and enjoy a movie if you spend all the time judging the actors' performance, makeups, finding flaws in the special effects, etc.

although i dont completely agree with this argument, i think it brings up a lot of valid points. what do you think?
Old 09-15-2010, 08:15 AM
Administrator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

I always have 20 thoughts going through my head. I think all the time, but I am truly one of the happiest people I know.

I think a lot, both positive and negative, but overall have a general optimistic view. I think a person's thoughts are one of the least contributing factors towards their happiness. I have a good job, a great house, and an amazing wife. I have a cool family (except for my sister) and life is good.

I think the argument could be that this may apply to certain mental situations, like schizophrenia. Consider Jim Carrey in "The Number 23" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Number_23 or Russell Crowe in A Beautiful Mind http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0268978/
Old 09-15-2010, 01:24 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Ignorance is bliss . . . until you are evicted from your house and your car is repossessed and you get fired, all for being a dumbass. The more you know the more you understand you should be upset about, but if you have a positive outlook, there is no reason to be sad.

If constant happiness is a personal goal for you, be an ignoramus.