Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Before You Track Your Car...

Old 11-04-2006, 10:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

consider the following... (and get yourself some INSTRUCTION!)

the rest of turn 5's pictures...

(notice the 7 concrete wall barriers that were moved...)

the damage:

the skidmarks:

the crowd:

and of course, the culprit! shock.gif (only kidding...)

Old 11-04-2006, 11:30 AM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

Remember to go around the track a few times slow first even if youve done the track. Always do slow laps, I do 3 usually, and stay safe.
Old 11-04-2006, 01:12 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Same thing applies in a straight line too. First pass shouldn't be full out but learning how the track reacts to your car.
Old 11-04-2006, 01:34 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Yikes!

Definitely need to take it slow if your just starting out..whether in a straight line or when doing laps.
Old 11-04-2006, 05:16 PM

Hmm..i cant seem to figure out what the hell hapened? Was the a turn and he lost control going out of it? How do u know it was his first lap? Or is it your car? Im confused (as usual)
Old 11-04-2006, 05:32 PM

Vehicle: 1992 Honda Accord EX

QUOTE (brian01tib @ Nov 4 2006, 02:30 PM)
Remember to go around the track a few times slow first even if youve done the track. Always do slow laps, I do 3 usually, and stay safe.

+1

Tracks change every day. People need to be more conscientious about the tracks they are on. Who knows what is on that track, even if it's been run all day long
Old 11-05-2006, 07:47 AM

Looks to me like they got on the power too soon and had the rear end step out. Over correcten and the car snap rotated to the right and ended up head-on into the wall.

But that is just my educated guess. cool.gif
Old 11-05-2006, 10:33 AM

I was on this track recently, and let me tell ya, it was one bumpy ride! I wish I would have researched first!

Old 11-05-2006, 03:30 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

you know what though, no offense to the owner but that's a RWD BMW. look at it though, sure you've got a rollcage and some drag radials but it looked like he tried to make it more japanese than anything. looks like a honda mixed with a BMW.

poor guy i mean sure that's a lot of money lost and i hope he's ok. i do understand that even pros can have mishaps.
Old 11-06-2006, 11:00 AM

Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

HKC, that is one helluva car. I have a new found respect for it, and would LOVE to be in nothing else when I crash a car at 95mph+ into a concrete wall. I mean the guy was unscathed, pissed as hell, but not abruise on him.

Hmm..i cant seem to figure out what the hell hapened? Was the a turn and he lost control going out of it? How do u know it was his first lap? Or is it your car? Im confused (as usual)

Here's a picture of the track we were racing on.
The turns were already labeled in black in the image for NASCAR's track. the infield track uses their own turns, and 3/4 of the NASCAR track (excluding the portions between NASCAR's Turn 1 and the infield's Turn 9).

This was a race on the infield track. The crash is in red on the 1st straightaway between the infield's turn 4 and 5. The turn's with boxes around them are where workers are stationed. I was at turn 5. I know it was his first lap because I green flagged the damn session. you can actually see me in some of the initial photos taken in a ugly tan shirt and tan pants (NASA colors, LOL), the driver in orange.

This crash was extremly avoidable. It was due to a lot of circumstances, the first being a bad start. When you start a race you first let all the cars loose from grid onto the hot pits where the pace car is waiting to go. They follow the pace car around the track at 40-50mph for 1 and sometimes 2 laps, when they come around NASCAR turn 4 and the pace car exits the track the starter (across the track from race control) is to green flag the session IF AND ONLY IF the cars are still in grid formation (side by side) and somewhat evenly spaced, no stragglers. The decision was initially made to start with a late green by race control, and then noticed the started gave an early green (we were training him) and the cars bunched up REAL quick at the start tower, into NASCAR Turn 1 and through the infield's turn 2 and 3.

When it came to Turn 4 I'm sure tensions were high and everyone was trying to seperate themselves from the pack the only way they know, forward... The bmw was taking turn 4 at WAY to high of a speed and as he came raging through turn 3 into turn 4 (no brakes, just thottle control) he POWERED himself into an oversteer condition where he started heading for the wall, breaks! steer! no help, he continued to oversteer and actually twisted his car around almost halfway (with "over-traction" alone..). See, Turn 4 is a left hander, he hit the wall on the LEFT side of the track after Turn 4 with the PASSENGER side of his front bumper, then his momentum "rolled" his car sideways along the wall until it came to rest BACKWARDS, and facing the track...

I do not have $80,000 to spend on a weekend racecar, so no that is not my car. 02.gif