Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Bad idea?

Old 02-23-2005, 08:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad idea?

I dont know if this is possible? or a bad idea?

But I was thinking about the ram air hood. I know a lot of you dont like them.. so please dont comment about that. but what i was thinking was routing the CAI to right in front of the nostril on the hood. then cutting off the other end of the intake manifold so its open and putting another CAI coming off of that directed to the other nostril. Then I thought if i did that, wouldnt i need a throttle body on the other side? Would I? Is that possible? and you would have to somehow keep both sides insync right?

Would this do anything for horsepower? Would it let in too much air? Is it worth it?
Old 02-23-2005, 08:30 AM

If you put a filter near the opening on the hood, it would not work as well as having a filter in the fender. The reason being, you would suck up hot air from the hood itself as opposed to having the filter in the fender (where the air will be cooler). There was a test done on this a few years back on a SS camero vs. a camero that had a CAI option that placed that filter in the cool location away from the motor. The SS made slightly less power due to the air warming up around the hood area.
Old 02-23-2005, 08:40 AM

Thank you for that information.

But even so. What about one in each fender?
Old 02-23-2005, 08:51 AM

You have to look that you would need 2 MAFs and 2 TB. Then somehow get the mafs to give a combined signal to the ecu. Not quite sure how practical it would be.
Old 02-23-2005, 09:07 AM

hehe I remember a while back I though of an intake that wrapped around and came out near the back of the car, getting it as far away from the engine as possible. It was a pretty silly idea, but the diagrams were cool lol.

In theory, it would work because the air near the rear of the vehicle is definitely cooler than the air up front by the engine bay. But because the piping would be so much longer, the additional distance might create enough friction to actually heat up the air and reduce the gains of this.
Old 02-23-2005, 09:09 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Anything is possible, the question is would it be practical? I think it would be more of a hassle to set up than it is worth. It would be more bennificial to just use one CAI and get a bigger throttle body.
Old 02-23-2005, 09:14 AM

QUOTE (Casper)
It would be more bennificial to just use one CAI and get a bigger throttle body.

Agreed, with the addition of an AirRam. You would get enough gains off of those that it would not be worth messing with the other.
Old 02-23-2005, 04:51 PM

A bigger problem would be water. You'd have to find a way to drop the water from the air when you were driving in the rain. Also, for a ram air to work, you would have to create a pressurized airbox, where you turn air velocity (forward momentum) into pressure. You're never going to get 60mph worth of air down your intake, but if you can create/modify the setup so that the 60mph air gets "packed" into an airbox, you will then have higher than atsmopheric pressure to stuff down your TB.

It's a lot harder than it sounds. You've got to figure out a way to drop the water, yet retain the air speed so you can convert speed into pressure. Now you know why they are so rare on production cars, and why they are so rare in the aftermarket.
Old 02-23-2005, 05:07 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Random is el-righto on the Ram-Air idea. With your ideas, the problems created outweigh the benefits in most instances, especially on a street car.
Old 02-23-2005, 10:07 PM

When i was first getting into modding my car I thought the same thing about dual intakes. I then thought about it more and realised that with a 3" pipe and a 62mm-ish TB the air can flow so freely, you almost cant get any more air into the engine without turbo. I mean the engine itself can only pull in so much air without help, so by going with 2 intakes you really arent getting that much more air.