Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Attention Dslr Camera Users!

Old 07-27-2009, 06:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

I am looking to buy a new camera here in a week or two and was looking for opinions. I am really looking at Nikon D40 or D60 right now but am open to opinions of course. I like the D40 due to its price and reviews all over say its a great dslr for more of a beginner. For about $500 you can get the body and 18-55mm lens.

So please share experiences and reccomendations with me! Thanks guys.

I got started looking at Nikons because my mom said we had some Nikon lenses around but after reading I dont think they are compatible anyway.
Old 07-28-2009, 07:58 AM
Banned

i just picked up a d40 about a month ago..

at target it was 449$, then i signed up for the target CC, which i will pay off in a payment, got another 10% off.. got a 3 year extended warranty on it, 2GB memory card, and a camera bag for like 515$ out the door.

so far, i REALLLLY like it. i picked up a 2X telephoto lens (not nikkor, just a thread on) and some UV, CPL, FL filters for like 50$ which made a good difference in things. the UV filter can stay on ALL the time protecting the lens.

the ONLY thing i don't like about it, is the 3X zoom, when you can get non SLR p90 for about the same price with like 24X optical zoom and double the MP. its really expensive to get a high zoom, quality lens for an SLR. I will probably pick up a good standard digi cam in the future with a high zoom (l100 or alike) for the zoom pics and use the d40 for closeups and medium range pictures.

there are a TON of manual options on both the d40 and the d60. I haven't even begun to go through them. i picked up a 'digital field guide' book to help me along the way though.

i believe the image sensors are the same size in both cameras though. but unless you plan on cropping new images out of the original, 6MP on the d40 should be plenty.

they both have a 2.5" LCD. the LCD on these cameras is really nice.. very easy to review your pictures, zoom, edit, get photo details, etc. they are also the same size.

im pretty sure the only benefit to the d60 is the 10MP sensor as opposed to the 6MP sensor in the d40 and a min ISO rating of 100 instead of 200.

also, if you have read up anything on the two. if you see anywhere about the D40x that IS what the D60 is, they renamed it, and updated a couple things, but nothing major as far as camera stats go.

heres a good review of D40 vs. D40x (D60)

D40 vs D40x (d60)

i would personally save your $ and get the D40 with some accesories for the same price of the D60.

with the ~100$ you would save, you could get a case, SDHC card, camera 'armor', set of filters, 2X telephoto lens, and possible a .45x wideangle lens.

also, in reference to the lens' you have laying around. theres all sorts of adapters to put old MF lens' on new cameras and use them.

all these were taken with the d40 in auto (no flash mode) 100% point and shoot with auto focus.. nothing special about these. just showing what the basic snapshots will yield from the camera without filters or anything attached (obviously the 18-55 lens is on the camera)
Old 07-28-2009, 08:34 AM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

Nikon and Canon are the best and most liked by nearly everyone it seems.

I got a Canon Rebel XTi because my dad had lenses. Go to Best Buy, try both Nikon and Canon and see which you like. Pay attention to the menu abilities, features, weight, and feel. They're both going to have pretty damn good quality pics.
Old 07-28-2009, 09:27 AM
Banned

on the canon note. i would have bought a canon but they are more $$$. the real nice thing about them though, is the automatic sensor cleaning. the nikon seemed a bit easier to use imo and was cheap enough for a beginner.

if i get real into the whole DSLR scene, i will probably upgrade to the D90 with its 720p HD recording and 11 area focus
Old 07-28-2009, 11:05 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Ya I love the D90 but its to expensive for now. The D40 is about $100 cheaper than the D60 now and most reviews say to go for the D40 over the D60 and use the extra money for upgrades. Ill probably go pick one up this week.