Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

This Is For Anyone With Children

Old 06-16-2008, 05:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

This happened about two weeks ago to me and my wife..........

So, it was a normal day, just like any other day, me sitting on couch, my wife cleaning the kitchen, and my 4 year old(Noah) watching some cartoons. My youngest one at the time(Cole, 3 days shy of his 1st b-day), was crawling around on the floor playing with some toys. My wife and I then began cleaning up some stuff on the kitchen table so we could feed them(Meanwhile, we put the baby in the play-pen). Noah was still watching T.V, then, after we was finished cleaning, she put the baby in the hi-chair to feed him. While I was getting something to drink in the fridge,she began to feed Cole, and then I heard the baby gag, no big deal, both my boys gag real easy, they get that from their mother. Then, I see my wife, saying his name over, and over, and saying "c'mon baby, c'mon"...repeatedly. Then I started to ask her what was wrong, the situation hadn't escalated to something major yet, Until she yanked him up out of the hi-chair , and said he was choking,and crying and screaming for me to call 911.

I started freaking out, because I couldn't find the phone, I found it after what seemed like forever, and called them. In this time, we are both hysterical while trying to get him to throw up what ever he was choking on. We were both trying that maneuver you use on children for it. But it wasn't working, at all, the dispatch said the squad would be there in 10 minutes or so, I knew we didn't have that long. Cole was going limp, his eyes were rolling up into his head at times, he was turning blue, and just not able to breath. Finally after what seemed like an eternity(which turned out to be about a minute or two), he finally threw up. We don't know to this day what he had choked on, whether it was our 4 year old who threw something in his playpen or on the floor. Noah has a tendency to go around ripping up papers. Maybe the baby had either took something he had ripped up, or he found a piece of one those spiral wood cone trees that we have with lights on it. We just don't know.

We come up with this scenario---He got something off of the floor, had it clinched in his little fist(like he does with everything) and we didn't see it, we aren't sure when he could of put whatever it was in his mouth, because we had both been keeping a pretty close eye on him. Neither of us at any time noticed him with anything in his hand other then toys. But when she began to feed him(it was the first bite she fed him, when he started choking)what ever he had in his mouth, when he took his first bite, he swallowed it, and started to choke. It kills me knowing that we could have lost our little baby Cole. Even if accidents happen, this was our fault for not watching him better then we could have. It made me realize, that at anytime, anyday, I can lose my sons, or my wife. Since then, we have vaccumed the floor when he hits it to play. Got the plastic plug-in covers, threw away anything that looked like he could choke on it. Baby proofed the whole damn house. This was the most horrible day in my 26 years of life.

Moral of the story is this............This was a life changing experience for me, it will change my daily routine, how i look at things, I will drive safer, so I don't jeopardize my life, and possibly leave my wife raising two kids by herelf. Every thing I do will change.

Cherish your children every second of the day, for they can be taken away any second of the day.

Kiss them and tell you love them when you leave, or when they are leaving, it could be the last moment you ever see them alive.

Don't be the parents who choose to sit on the computer, when you have a chance to hop on the floor and play with you children, or take them places.

------Tony-------
Old 06-16-2008, 07:36 AM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

it really cant be more true. i lost my little sister in a car accident at the end of november last year and while i am by no means over it, i can get through most days fine and can sleep ok. i dont know if my parents are ever going to be able to get through a day without breaking down. just called my dad yesterday to wish him a happy father's day and he sounded like a wreck.

never feel like you or your loved ones are out of harms way, tragic things can and do happen all the time. cherish every moment you have with them, and don't take one second of your time with them for granted.
Old 06-16-2008, 07:42 AM

Vehicle: 2004 Volkswagen Jetta GLI

I am truly glad everything turn out in excellent way...

I truly cherish both my wife, son, and dog...main reason is because you never know when your time is up...so i make it a point not to go to sleep upset with my wife or leave out the house without giving my family a kiss and telling them i love them
Old 06-16-2008, 11:13 PM

It truly was the most horrible feeling in the world going through that, for days I felt different, anxious, nervous whatever. I am finally feeling normal now. But still, will never forget that day
Old 06-17-2008, 04:27 AM

Vehicle: 2001 hyundai tiburon

I've got two sons also bro, a little older at 12(13 next month) and 10. though i haven't ever had to deal with what you did with them I do rememeber one little incident with my oldest son.

we had just moved into our new house when i was married and my son was one wek away from his first b-day party. in this week mind you i was working 12 hour shifts, moving into a new house, remodeling the living room, and planning my son's 1st b-day party all in that same week.

we got the living room painted and the new carpet down, cool i thought, time to get the floor moulding back on. I had pulled it out from the wall with the nails still in the wood since I thought it would be a time saver. little did i know for that one second my son was walking around and got out of my sight for a brief moment I heard a scream and turned around. there he was with a 8 foot section of floor moulding stuck to his foot cause the nail was inbedded in his foot.

the wife, totally freaking out, couldnt watch me pull the nail out of his foot. I felt every one of them ribs on a ribbed nail come out of his foot. it bled for just a minute and of course he was trying to maintain his cool. looked at his shot records cause he just went in and got some and good to know his tetanus shot was done just the week before. poured a little isopropyl alcohol on it and in one hour he was running around again.

yeah man, it happens but it made me realize I needed to space things out more and not try to do everything all in one week. you try to with all your might to keep them out of harm but sometimes it just doesnt work.

glad your boy is ok bud, buy bigger toys! fing02.gif or whatever he choked on.
Old 06-17-2008, 11:28 PM

Trust me, he has plenty of big toys

And I've been working 60 hours a week for about 4-5 months now (12 hours shifts also), needless to say I am working a little less now