Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

anybody ever try to dramatically change careers?

Old 09-02-2010, 08:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra
Default anybody ever try to dramatically change careers?

well after working in the automotive repair industry almost my entire life (i worked at a call center for 4 months when i was in high school) and being fired for no apparent reason (very common might i add) ive decided im done with it

im planning on going to school finally but am gonna work for a few more months to save up some cash. the wife gots a kick ass job and for us to break even i gotta bring in 600 a month (and if i could ever sell my effing house i wouldnt even need to work!!) so a career change isnt gonna hurt us.

as some of you may know im currently in north dakota and there is a metric shitload of oil production here. there is a local place who is willing to PAY for interested people to get a CDL if you promise to work for them for 3 months driving oil trucks. its the same amount of hours im used to, and it remains local and brings home about what i make now if not more. im still debating if i should do it or just get some bullshit job at like best buy or something and relax a bit(60-70 hours a week for 8 years messes you up some...a 40 hour a week job would be wierd)

the economy here is GREAT might i add which is why we are here in the first place put it this way....mcdonalds has a sign on bonus, promise to work there 90 days and they will pay you like 600 bux extra lol

i look in the paper and a good 5/8ths of it is job offers for local CDL drivers

Old 09-02-2010, 08:50 AM

Vehicle: 03 Hyundai Accent

I'm in IT, but seriously thinking about becoming a Cargo Pilot for Cathay Pacific Airlines.
Old 09-02-2010, 09:36 AM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

If you're going to make a career change, I think that's a very ambitious move. It sounds like you're looking for something with more job security, less headache, and a change of pace. A CDL would be great, and a company willing to pay for it is even better. There are many routes you can pursue and industries you can get into with a CDL, and it can be a normal 8-5 job.

Locally, we have a very large food distributor that can't hire enough drivers. They're always hiring, not because of turnover but because they're growing consistently year over year. They pay their delivery drivers $80,000 average, and over $100k in some cases - and they aren't allowed to work overtime. Getting a CDL can offer many different jobs types - cross country, local delivery, maybe even UPS/FedEx.
Old 09-02-2010, 10:03 AM

Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

1.) Get the CDL
2.) Install smoke stacks on the 'lantra
3.) Drive semi-'lantra during final CDL driver's test
Old 09-02-2010, 10:12 AM

it already has a diesel turbo!!!
Old 09-02-2010, 01:03 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

In the middle of a depression, if you can find someone willing to GIVE you the training for a CDL in exchange for a short contract, and don't mind a few months of that work, seriously consider doing it. A driver with a CDL is a HUGE step up from non-CDL when it comes to all sorts of driving careers.
Old 09-02-2010, 08:46 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

Get the CDL.

I have dramatically changed careers 4 times. I hate it, but except for the first one it's all been driven by the local job market.