Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Any New Zealanders Here?

Old 08-03-2007, 03:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000/Hyundai/Tiburon

OK, so I've decided to change my major form education to graphics design. Still not the brightest move in the world considering how tight the job market is in that field also, but I love the work. smile.gif So, I have been looking at schools and my ideal school would be an arts college.

The price tag is $25,000 a year. eek2.gif

Well, that includes room and board, but still... Who the hell can afford to spend $100,000 on a BACHELORS degree in a highly competitive field that pays about $30-35k a year? You'd have to be stupid! Thank God I'm spending two years at community. I could transfer to a regular University, but most of my credits wont transfer and it requires a portfolio, where the art school is much more lenient on transfers. I plan on visiting both schools and comparing.

Now to my point.... I joined a Graphics Design forum and was looking through the education section. It has been mentioned a couple of times that with the high cost of college in the US it would be wise to consider going to school in New Zealand or Australia. The cost for a Bachelors over there is about $12,000 USD and the cost of living is less comparatively. Much better than spending upwards of $100,000 for the same degree at an art school here, huh?

Just wanted to see if anybody from here is in New Zealand, as I may HIGHLY consider this route in about a year. I figured it would b e good to start making some connections, figuring out transportation, etc. (Poor tibby will be locked up in storage for two years if I go. 02.gif ) I would LOVE to take this opportunity, as it would be a much better life experience for me than forking over $50,000 for two years of school in town here.
Old 08-03-2007, 04:25 PM

There are a couple of Kiwis on the forum.. but most of them time they are busy with their sheep nana.gif
Old 08-03-2007, 09:42 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Hyundai Fx Coupe

Alz99 is a Kiwi. There might be one or two others.

I have a friend over in New Zealand doing something like that too: she's just wanting to be a teacher of some sort but it's cheaper over there than here in Sydney & she'll be qualified in a year as opposed to 2 or more years here in Oz. She's a Kiwi though.

I'd forget about doing the course here in Sydney: it's ridiculously expensive here these days. Rent, petrol, food, taxes, etc... Beautiful place though fing02.gif
Old 08-03-2007, 11:28 PM

Vehicle: 2000/Hyundai/Tiburon

Well, If I go this route I think the game plan would be to go to school in NZ and vacation in AU durring the summer. Sounds like a blast really!