Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Another school shooting today in Houston

Old 01-22-2013, 02:23 PM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T
Default Another school shooting today in Houston

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2013/01/22...ege/?hpt=hp_t1

Old 01-22-2013, 02:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2016 Tucson Sport AWD

I think if the media stopped glorifying these shootings then maybe they will stop. The shooters are just doing it to get attention and that's what the media is giving them.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:15 PM

Vehicle: 1991 Impulse RS

Imagine that, the media is reporting news! Someone stop them. How are they "glorifying" these shooters? Should they just not report the story? Do you think theses shootings would stop if they didn't report them? Blaming these shootings on the media is just ridiculous.

As a Canadian I can't help but feel sorry for my American neighbours. I just don't understand how people can watch all these horrible things happening and not think that MAYBE just MAYBE, guns are the problem (or at the very least PART of the problem).

Check this out - http://www.torontosun.com/2013/01/21...lls-brother-16

12 year old shot and killed his brother (in the head) "by accident" with a gun. If this family didn't own any guns or have any guns in the house (yes they should have been locked up), chances are they would still have 2 sons.

No guns in house = 0% chance of an accident like that^^^ happening.

I await the retorts from all our gun nuts
Old 01-22-2013, 03:48 PM

Vehicle: 2003 Hyundai Tiburon i4

I dont know man, there are lots of guns in Canada too...We arent a perfect country but it seems the US is leaps and bounds behind us.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:30 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

Originally Posted by pas1216
Imagine that, the media is reporting news! Someone stop them. How are they "glorifying" these shooters? Should they just not report the story? Do you think theses shootings would stop if they didn't report them? Blaming these shootings on the media is just ridiculous.
The names of the shooters get plastered all over the media. It's a way to become instantly famous. It doesn't apply to all cases, but it is one of the most likely reasons that these things have been happening basically every week for the past few months. Most of the other likely reasons involve conspiracy theories, so either way there is no logical reason I can think of that these acts of violence would suddenly start happening constantly without a conspiracy, copycat mentality, or people wanting to be famous.

If they covered the event but left the identity of the shooter(s) unstated that would probably help. Te media is blatantly anti-gun and pro-sensationalism, more shootings are good business for them.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:32 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

Shootings happen every day in Los Angeles. They don't even get attention on the news anymore. Everytime something happens at a school or large public area it makes the news. Especially schools.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:01 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Name three of the FIVE HUNDRED people murdered in the GUN FREE CITY of Chicago LAST YEAR, and then we'll talk about gun control some more, okay?
Old 01-22-2013, 06:22 PM

Vehicle: 1991 Impulse RS

ok, so if guns or some sort of gun control isn't the answer stocker, what is? We have plenty of guns here in Canada (on par per capita with the US) and MINIMAL gun crime/deaths. Why? Could it be our strict gun laws? These laws take many, many YEARS to work, not 1 or 2.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:26 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

The US homicide rate has been in steady decline since its peak in 1991, and gun crime has been no exception. The last time the rate was lower was 1963. To me, that means that for the most part things are working very well. The homicide rate is less than half of what it was in 1991. Canada does have a significantly lower rate, below half of the US rate. To that, well done, but it is comparing apples to oranges. The US population is nearly 10 times larger and the population density is much higher. As you crowd more people into a smaller space tensions get higher and violent crime rates will go up.

Hammers are used to kill someone much more often than a rifle of any kind, including "assault rifles".

Bias comes in when the media successfully terrifies parents of children going to schools which they now feel are unsafe, but the child is astronomically more likely to be killed in a car accident, or even ten times more likely than that to be killed due to medical malpractice.

Old 01-22-2013, 08:54 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

And, lest anyone forget, most colleges in Texas are "Gun Free Zones" including this one, where TWO people had guns and started a fight . . . in the freaking LIBRARY.

Don't they know there's rules against loud noises in the library? Also against assault with a deadly weapon, Assault causing bodily injury, Reckless dischard of a firearm, and oh yeah Having a gun in a gunfreezone?

Fear the tool all you like, but as for me I limit my exposure to . . . doctors!