Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Amazon offers Prime discount to those on government benefits

Old 06-06-2017, 10:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra
Default Amazon offers Prime discount to those on government benefits

June 06, 2017 07:28 AM

NEW YORK (AP) - Amazon is offering a discount on its Prime membership for people who receive government assistance.

Amazon says customers who get benefits such as through the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, or food stamps, can pay $5.99 per month for membership, which would include free shipping and unlimited streaming of movies and TV shows with Prime Video. The regular annual membership is $99 per year. But those who cannot afford to pay up front have to pay $10.99 a month for the same benefits.

Amazon's Prime program, with the perks it brings, has created strong habits among shoppers as competition is keen. Amazon says it wants to make the program more accessible. Walmart, which has the second-biggest share of online sales, has been trying to close the gap with Amazon.

Anybody think this is kind of messed up?
Old 06-06-2017, 10:41 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

If people on gov't programs can scam the gov't then I would not have any issue scamming Amazon to get their benefits. I wonder what proof they need?

Do I even need to state the obvious that people on gov't programs should not be spending money on prime services in the first place?
Old 06-06-2017, 02:31 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

Originally Posted by JonGTR
Do I even need to state the obvious that people on gov't programs should not be spending money on prime services in the first place?

Lots of stuff costs less on Amazon than in a retail store, even if you include the $5.99/mo. Seems like it makes a lot of sense to save money wherever you can if you're on assistance.