Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Advice On Driving A Convertible In The Winter....

Old 10-18-2007, 11:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey, well, recently I have come across a car that I have been wanting to buy for sometime. It's everything that I want, a 2000 Ford Mustang GT, 5spd with tan leather interior, Red paint, this car is mint. Only thing holding me back from purchasing this car is it is a convertible, Sailcloth Single Texture Vinyl top. Does anyone know if it is harmful to the top to drive such a car in the winter months. I've googled the subject and not a whole lot has come up. I live in Ontario Canada and the winter months seem to be getting shorter every year. Last year I think we only got about 2 or three good dumps of snow. I do not have a garage so the car will be parked outside in the elements. Is there any sort of prep that can be done to the top to protect it in winter? Maybe I'm crazy for thinking of driving a convertible in the winter but my funds are limited and I will not be able to pay to have 2 sports cars on my insurance (tibby and mustang) Let me know what you think guys, all advice will greatly be appreciated, thanks.
Old 10-18-2007, 12:20 PM

i'm not sure about protectig the top but if you open the top during the winter on those weird sunny days we get, and you go to close the top...it won't exaclty work it will shrink and not close tight haha, not a good thing cause the next day is useually freeze your balls off cold.
Old 10-18-2007, 03:48 PM

Yea i would basically just plan on not taking the top down at all during the winter. I dont have any scientific answers for you, but i guess try to prevent water (snow) from getting in there. Plenty of people in my town drive convertables with their tops up during the winter.
Old 10-18-2007, 03:54 PM

When I had a running convertable, I used to drive it all year round with the top down. As long as their was no percipitation falling and it was above freezing, the top was down. I still do it with the sunroof, I use it all the time, even in winter.

There is not much you can really do to protect the top. I do not know if the mustang uses a plastic rear window or not, but what kills those is repeated creasing and exposure to the sun. Try to always park the car facing south (if you can) to keep the sun off of the rear window (even in summer) and never ever scrape snow and ice off of it.

If the Mustang has a glass rear window.. forget the above.

Generally, convertable tops are pretty stout. As yours is canvas and not vinyl, it should not shrink too much in the cold weather (especially if already worn in). They may not last as long as a metal top (duh) but they can survive plenty of cold weather without complaint as long as you keep them clean, keep the mechanism lubed, and do not force it either up or down if it starts to bind.

and the looks you get in the middle of winter with the top down are priceless. People who would never give you the time of day, will talk to you.. especially those brave souls on motorcycles