Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

14 stabbed at Lone Star community college

Old 04-09-2013, 12:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Accent
Default 14 stabbed at Lone Star community college

14 stabbed, more coming in. Ban all high capacity exacto knives!

http://abcnews.go.com/story?id=18915596
Old 04-09-2013, 01:10 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

OMG!! BAN BAN BAN !!
Old 04-09-2013, 01:39 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

It's a tragedy, for sure, but at a very good time. Proves the point that people go to other measures once one tool is taken away.

One place banned guns altogether because they were responsible for so many suicides. What happened to firearm suicides? They dropped drastically. What happened to the overall suicide rate? Just about nothing. They just started hanging themselves instead. Suicides by hanging skyrocketed, and pretty much made up for the drop in firearm suicides. Removing a tool doesn't stop the problem.

Similarly, 2 kids (I think age 10 and 11) were arrested for throwing a 5 year old out of a 14 story high rise in the projects because he refused to steal candy for them. The govt's first idea was to construct only 1 story buildings to prevent that from happening again. Like that would ever fix the problem! The kids would have just strangled him or done something else. Removing a tool doesn't stop the problem.

If I want to put a nail into the wall, I'll use a hammer. But if my hammer is taken away, do I walk off and forget about putting a nail in the wall?? Of course not! I'll use a board, or a big screwdriver (or even an electric screwdriver... but don't tell anyone). Removing a tool doesn't stop the problem.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:51 PM

Vehicle: 1991 Impulse RS

Removing the tool doesn't stop the problem, i agree. But something/anything has to be done about this problem, things are getting out of hand. WTF is going on!? People getting shot/stabbed/attacked. What happened to respect your fellow man?
Old 04-09-2013, 02:51 PM
Administrator

Things are getting out of hand? Such as what? I ask so that I don't assume you're saying something you're not
Old 04-09-2013, 05:11 PM

Vehicle: 1991 Impulse RS

People are going crazy. 10 or 15 years ago you didn't see or hear about all this crap. YES, the media is reporting it more often, but why are these people doing all these horrible things? (shootings, stabbings etc..) What is wrong with people these days? Why injure or kill a bunch of innocent people? What are you trying to prove? What exactly are you thinking? I just can't believe some of the things I see on the news and read in the paper.

There was a shooting at a Daycare near me a few days ago. A husband threw gas on his wife (who worked at the daycare) and tried to light her on fire. She got away, but the husband shot another worker then killed himself. All the details of the story aren't out yet but no kids were hurt.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:27 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

People are under more stress and emotional imbalances in todays society. Unemployment, high costs of living, expensive healthcare, etc. Its easier to set someone off today than it was years ago.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:31 AM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

It's also an eroding of standards and morals. The modern philosophy of everything goes, everything for yourself has started to tear people up. Victimization of the perpetrator, aiming at the symptoms rather than the root, anything goes, YOLO, all of it has contributed.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:56 AM

Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

0 or 15 years ago you didn't see or hear about all this crap.

Old 04-10-2013, 07:08 AM
Administrator

^ I can't see wheel's response, image blocked, but this sh*t was happening 10, 15, 20 years ago. Look at the L.A. riots in 1992. I don't think much has changed at all in the last 15 years except for the awareness. Social media and technology has made it easy for anyone to start recording video within 5 seconds, 15-20 years ago nobody have video cameras on their cell phones.

Perhaps I have a different perspective, growing up in Los Angeles with my dad being in the LA Sheriff Dept., maybe I was more aware of the problems or maybe L.A. just had more to be seen than other places did at the time.