Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

100 years of income tax

Old 10-16-2013, 05:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Accent
Default 100 years of income tax

100 years ago, Woodrow Wilson signed the Revenue Act of 1913 which re-imposed an income tax following the [controversial] passage of the 16th Amendment.

It was passed under the promise that it would be a relatively low tax on only the wealthiest Americans...
Old 10-16-2013, 09:02 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

Have fun driving on 1913's roads and you don't EVER wanna see a doctor that graduated med school in 1910.

In related news, bananas taste nothing like apples.
Old 10-16-2013, 10:50 PM

Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

Yes, let's remove all taxes actually. That will definitely sort out the debt crisis.
Old 10-17-2013, 04:54 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

Still no need for our ridiculously high tax rate for the amount of services provided. There is no way in hell there should be any tax deficit in this country at the current rate.
Old 10-18-2013, 09:45 AM

Vehicle: 2010/Hyundia/Genesis Coupe 2.0T Track

Originally Posted by i8acobra
Have fun driving on 1913's roads and you don't EVER wanna see a doctor that graduated med school in 1910.

In related news, bananas taste nothing like apples.

There was little need for smooth roads in early 1900's, so that would have been a waste of money back then, and it would have cost a lot more with there limited technology. I am also sure a doctor of 1910 is just as smart as the docs of today (relatively speaking). Maybe they don't have the technology or discoveries of today, but if they did, they would probably be just as if, if not more capable than todays docs. So both of those are terrible points to argue your point.

Rocky's post and point is very valid. We waste our money on way too many things we don't need to have our hand in.

Govt grants are ridiculous. The govt shouldn't invest in ideas, they should spend money on results. Let the private sector battle, try to become rich, innovate, and when they succeed, buy their results. As opposed to hiring one group of guys with limited views, throwing money at them and more money because they have an idea and think they can get x results if you throw more money at them.

And soc sec is another thing. Telling us we need to be dependent of the govt, we can't do it ourselves, so just give us a little bit of money....or no, we will take your children's money to pay for you. As opposed to you saving, relying on yourself or your family to take care of you. The govt doesn't need to be in our business always.

Little and big things like that add up, and that is why we are in a debt crisis, the govt has basically convinced us we are pathetic feeble individuals and we need them to hold our hand...and they charge us way too much for that service.
Old 10-18-2013, 10:04 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Whatnot
There was little need for smooth roads in early 1900's, so that would have been a waste of money back then, and it would have cost a lot more with there limited technology. I am also sure a doctor of 1910 is just as smart as the docs of today (relatively speaking). Maybe they don't have the technology or discoveries of today, but if they did, they would probably be just as if, if not more capable than todays docs. So both of those are terrible points to argue your point.

Rocky's post and point is very valid. We waste our money on way too many things we don't need to have our hand in.

You are an idiot. Seriously... If I need to explain how my points are 100% valid, you have an ideological fault that cannot be corrected with common sense.
Old 10-21-2013, 09:38 AM

Vehicle: 2010/Hyundia/Genesis Coupe 2.0T Track

Originally Posted by i8acobra
You are an idiot. Seriously... If I need to explain how my points are 100% valid, you have an ideological fault that cannot be corrected with common sense.

You don't need to explain how your points are 100% valid...you can't explain that....As I showed you how they are 100% invalid. And you show that you can't....by resorting to insults and subject changing rather than actually backing up your points.
Old 10-21-2013, 04:36 PM

Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

Factory workers and sick people had a _______ quality of life in 1913

factory workers and sick people had a _______ life expectancy

Chimney sweeps are only poor because they're lazy! All they want is to suck welfare...
Old 10-22-2013, 12:21 AM

Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

Its a simple equation:

In 2011 the federal government collected 1.1 trillion dollars in income tax alone. That's more than 15 times the net worth of Carlos Slim, the most wealthy person in the world. Imagine the entire income of the federal government and the fact that we still have to borrow money at an alarming rate. In fact, the national debt is higher than the average house hold income. THAT IS DISTURBING. The money to pay the hundreds of billions in interest comes from somewhere. Federal spending is out of control, and we're all footing the bill. Get ready, because before long we'll be forfeiting 2/3 of our money to government in one form or another regardless of who is in office. It's not far off if you include all forms of taxation, registration, etc.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:30 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Whatnot
You don't need to explain how your points are 100% valid...you can't explain that....As I showed you how they are 100% invalid. And you show that you can't....by resorting to insults and subject changing rather than actually backing up your points.

1913 isn't 2013. That's all the explanation needed. If you can't figure that out, a Thesis length explanation isn't gonna change your mind, so why give myself finger cramps? I'd rather watch TV.