Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

10 Confessional Stories from Debt Collectors

Old 08-17-2010, 11:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 00 elantra
Default 10 Confessional Stories from Debt Collectors

This is a really interesting read if you have a few minutes of your time

http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2010/news/1...tors/index.html

I did debt collecting a few years back as a part time job and had to get out of it because of how shitty I fealt at the end of the day. I know some people were really ruthless on the phones towards people in debt and the company I worked for used to get sued alot by people because of the unethical practices they did. I couldnt deal with having all that on my conscience so I quit after only being there for a couple of months. The money was great but it was way better for me to sleep at night knowing I wasnt putting people through hell or working with a sketchy company.
Old 08-17-2010, 11:27 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

Some people are deadbeats and deserve the harrasment, but not everyone is like that. Some lost their jobs, and some just lost their husbands for f---- sake! I agree, debt collectors are the scum of the earth.
Personally, I wouldn't mind getting a nasty call from them as I would put them out of business. Texas has some VERY good debt collection laws. I used the Texas Finance Code to not only get some a**holes off my back, but to also delete from my reports, and get rid of the debt completely. It really wasn't mine, but I still had to go that far. I was actually sitting on a $10k lawsuit against them in damages for failure to investigate, failure to validate, failure to notify, innacuracies, harrasment calls, letters after notification.....
But I was happy just to get them off my back and didn't see the lawsuit as worth the time and effort to procede.

My point is, once you know the laws, you'll find that they actually help to protect YOU, not them.

And for those of you who "just need a job" and are looking to work for these a**holes, I highly suggest you don't for your own sake.