Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

$80,000 slow

Old 04-18-2003, 12:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

damn that nissan is awesome. jaw_drop
Old 04-21-2003, 01:32 PM

let me revise my comment. street racing is stupid on crowded streets, where others are endangered. but i've seen bad sh*t happen on a drag strip, and i knew a guy who died on a drag strip, in a track-only car with a rollcage and all of the precautionary measures. sh*t can happen anywhere. if two guys wanna go out to a road in the groves, by themselves, why shouldn't they be able to, just as long as no one else is endangered.
Old 04-21-2003, 04:24 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

turbulence:
if two guys wanna go out to a road in the groves, by themselves, why shouldn't they be able to, just as long as no one else is endangered.
Uh, you became psychic when? How are you going to know if a wild animal is going to cross one of the cars paths causing them to veer and cause an accident. How are you going to know if someone decides to make a left hand turn in front of the racers? How are you going to know when the "unforseen" happens and be prepared for it?

As you put it so correctly.
turbulence:
sh*t can happen anywhere.
At least at a sanctioned event there are emergency medical personnel nearby, saftey precautions have been taken (that Siliva wanna be and that NSX didn't have roll cages).

**** can happen ANYWHERE, but it is 100000000000 times more likely to happen ON THE STREET. Count how many drivers and "bystanders" die/get injured in street racing accidents vs how many pro drivers and "bystanders" die/get injured at sanctioned events. No contest.
Old 04-21-2003, 06:15 PM

turbulence:
if two guys wanna go out to a road in the groves, by themselves, why shouldn't they be able to, just as long as no one else is endangered.
Maybe because it's ILLEGAL? Huh? Ya think? thumbs_d

Apples and oranges referring to track and street racing.
Old 04-21-2003, 07:08 PM

"No man lives on an island"

meaning no one is truly alone... no one dies without making some sort of impact. When you street race even in the best conditions where you can't hurt anyone but yourself, you STILL increase the odds of you getting seriously hurt over the odds of the same event on a track by a whole lot. Fortunatly for selfish you, there are people who care about you. Ever consider them whilst engaging in such foolishness? From the second you are born, you start affecting people. (actually, you start affecting someone from the moment you are conceived....)

Funny that the same arguments for convincing someone NOT to commit suicide apply so greatly to street racing as well. Just when you attempt suicide, at least you aren't so ignorant of the outcome. It is still just as stupid.

[ April 22, 2003, 02:11 AM: Message edited by: TibGrrl ]
Old 04-22-2003, 07:51 AM

TibGirl's right. frown
Old 04-22-2003, 08:32 AM

yes, and everything we all do affects people. by not trading in my tiburon for a hybrid vehicle (producing less harmful exhaust) and putting a non-carb approved turbo on it, i'm polluting the air, ruining the envirionment for everyone. now everyone breathes dirty air because of me. when we all drive 5 mph over the speed limit, we are being wreckless, because the city has deemed a certain speed the LIMIT for that particular road, and we, in our selfish hurries, have decided that we know better and have better control over our cars than the city thinks we have, so we can go a little faster. oh, wait, what if i'm going 5 UNDER the speed limit and a kid rides his bike out from behind a bush and i hit and kill him. then the argument could be made that if i had been speeding, i would have passed that point in time before that kid came out from the bush, thus preventing his death. all i'm saying is, those guys in the video are stupid for racing on a crowed street, but in fl, at 2 in the morning, when the street racers gather on the roads way out west of town by the groves, there are about 10 people per square mile, and they're not out and about. sh*t can happen under sanctioned circumstances, under normal circumstances, and under any circumstance. i only advocate street racing when the conditions are most appropriate.

tibgrrl, how's life in america junior? poke

[ April 22, 2003, 04:20 PM: Message edited by: turbulence ]
Old 04-22-2003, 09:12 AM

Hey, look, turbulence is making valid points.

Every little thing you do, from getting out of bed in the morning to driving your car is causal in both your own death and the death of everybody else. If you don't want to get killed by street racers, and if you don't want your friends and family to get killed by street racers, then don't leave the house. The racer is no more infringing upon your life than you are his by telling him not to race.
Old 04-22-2003, 09:18 AM

Random:
How are you going to know if a wild animal is going to cross one of the cars paths causing them to veer and cause an accident. How are you going to know if someone decides to make a left hand turn in front of the racers? How are you going to know when the "unforseen" happens and be prepared for it?
who's seen both wild animals somehow get on drag strips and cars from the other lane on a drag strip go out of control and cross into the other lane? i have...
Old 04-22-2003, 02:48 PM

Vehicle: 1999 Tiburon

The points that are being made both for and against street racing are valid. Yes, it does kill people. That is an undisputable fact.

I want to make it clear at this point that I do not promote street racing, but it does happen and will continue to happen as long as there are cars on the road.

My personal take on things comes in with the mentality that I have during a race (be it street or track). During a race, my focus and concentration on my suroundings are much more hightened than they would be under normal driving conditions. Usually, the music goes off, and all of your attention is focused on the functions of your car, and more importantly, the road ahead.

Of course, I cannot speak for all drivers in this matter, as there are many who do not understand the limits of their cars, and that of themselves, and are therefore an even greater risk to the whole situation.

Yes, street racing is dangerous. Is it acceptable? In most cases, probably not. However, I consider distracted drivers (ie: talking on a cell phone) to be just as, if not more dangerous to the general populace.

Sorry for the ramblings... just my thoughts...

[ April 22, 2003, 09:50 PM: Message edited by: blue_streak666 ]