Nitrous Oxide (NOS, Zex, NX Express, Venom, etc) This forum is for Nitrous Oxide discussions, and an area for folks to ask questions about Nitrous Oxide and related parts.

Would this zex kit be ok for my elantra?

Old 04-12-2011, 11:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Elantra GLS
Default Would this zex kit be ok for my elantra?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ZEX-82357

Seems really cheap compared to other kits. I've seen this kit advertised for $240-250 in other places. My turbo project wont be finished until the end of the year probably so I'm thinking nitrous for the time being.
Old 04-12-2011, 12:18 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

That should be fine. I would want a wideband too, but that's just me I guess.
Old 04-12-2011, 12:37 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

No. Do not buy that kit. You need a wet kit unless you are doing some serious work to the ECU. A dry kit will lean out your fuel ratio and kill your pistons.
Old 04-12-2011, 12:47 PM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

A 35 shot wont lean you out enough to cause problems. There are people who spraying a 55 dry shot with no issues.
Old 04-12-2011, 02:34 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

You can say that there are no problems, but you are leaning out your fuel mixture. The ECU compensates it's air/fuel mixture slowly. You can see this when you run a monitor of your o2 sensors using an OBD-II unit with mode 1 capabilities.. It takes about 2 seconds for the engine to switch from rich to lean normally. Even if it could compensate quickly enough, there is ABSOLUTELY NO MONTIORING OF THE AIR FUEL MIXTURE AT WIDE OPEN THROTTLE. Take a look at your O2 sensor values flapping all over the place during WOT if you don't believe me. Your air/fuel mixtures are set and monitored during closed loop and wide open throttle is calculated. There is no way to get a proper air fuel mixture with a dry shot on our vehicles without a replacement ECU.

It's not going to explode your engine, it's going to wear it until the extreme heat goes away. Extreme heat is generated by burning fuel in a lean state. This heat is well outside the tollerance that our engines are designed for. "Now, me and the mad scientist got to rip apart the block... and replace the piston rings you fried"... k, maybe not that severe, but you will have pitting, warpage, and wear on the piston walls.

A wet kit should not generate excessive heat. The proper amount of fuel is added in relation to the nitrous. This keeps your engine running properly while burning more fuel and air. A dry kit will just burn leaner, hoter and faster.
Old 04-26-2011, 03:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon

What DTN said ^^^ ... Using a dry-system is like throwing a turbo on your car without upgrading injectors and tuning. Ask yourself this. Would you do that?
Old 04-26-2011, 10:19 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

It can be done. Can it be done safely? That all depends on your definition of "Safe". Will it blow your motor the first time you try it? No, Probably not. You might even get away with 10 or 20 runs and be fine. But. It's going to do some damage eventually. Speaking as someone who Helped Jaws_021 replace a spark plug @ the drag strip @ 12:30am...his DRY Nitrous (ZEX) system caused it.

He was LUCKY. He lost a spark plug ceramic electrode(it actually shot out of the metal threaded section and was still connected to the spark plug wire), and the spark plug metal threaded part was melted, but intact enough that we could remove it. There was no permanent damage to the engine. A trip to 24 hour walmart got him new plugs and back on the road. But it was a "oh crap" moment for him. He was 80 miles from home @ 12:30am on a WEDNESDAY night.(LACR used to have Wednesday night open drags for $10).

Now....if this was YOUR Car...and Your SOLE means of transportation. Are YOU Wiling to risk YOUR motor to save $50/$100 vs a wet Nitrous kit?