Nitrous Oxide (NOS, Zex, NX Express, Venom, etc) This forum is for Nitrous Oxide discussions, and an area for folks to ask questions about Nitrous Oxide and related parts.

would this be safe (nitrous)

Old 03-08-2005, 06:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

at times nitrous is safer than a turbo why? cuz nitrous only puts a strain on the engine when your actually spraying when your not spraying the engine remains in a naturally aspirated mode

if you know what your doing and keep it on the safe side you should be ok for a long time

some helpful tips

never spray longer than 10 sec

if you plan on spraying use premium fuel only with a minimum octane rating of 92 if you have regular unleaded in the tank dont spray walkin away from one race in order to avoid having to walk to work is worth putting your pride aside

ngk v power plugs are cheap($8 a set) replace them often if you spray

lol i have it and i never have ran it but this is some helpful advice i have come across while researching

turbos, nitrous, superchargers are not "fool proof" when it comes to reliablility they can all blow engines if something malfunctions or when someone gets risky with the engine

in my opinion a supercharger is the safest though but like i said there is no such thing as the "perfect fool proof" way to make your car faster

to bad there isnt a good beta supercharger out there
Old 03-08-2005, 07:54 PM

make it 12 seconds of spaying because you wanna spray all the way of 1/4 mi
Old 03-08-2005, 08:01 PM

huh?

12 sec?

no because you want to stop spraying before you shift and not until your in second gear besides we cant spray the entire time cuz most of us run like in the 15-17 second range
Old 03-08-2005, 08:18 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

It automatically stops spraying before you shift.... and you can spray in 1st gear as well if you get a window switch (which I recommend with any nitrous system) as long as you don't slam the gas on the launch and wait till you get a little traction.
Old 03-08-2005, 08:18 PM

True that.... I totaly forgot that solenoid turns off when you shift!!! dummy!
But what about auto trannies? You can shift from 1st up until you are done racing with no pauses!

I think spraying in 1st is pointless because most of the people can't get traction NA in 1st! with nitrous you should not be in 15s anymore... unless the rest of your car is stock.

It would be PITA to start spraying once you shifted into second because you have to turn the switch on and it has to be mounted in a good position, and it still takes time to do it.

ham, window switch is a good idea. I will buy one eventually. If you are spraying by hand then it won't stop up until you let the button go.
Old 03-08-2005, 08:54 PM

I think its more people need to learn to launch than anything... still your probably right, a progressive setup would probably make a 1st gear nitrous shot more appropriate.

I like window switches because they make hitting fuel cut and blowing your engine impossible. Set it @ 6150, well below fuel cut, and it shuts off the nitrous before you run into the cut. Virtually eliminates the risks of nitrous.
Old 03-08-2005, 09:07 PM

it's the hardest part of the race to launch right, and when you have an additional 50-70hp it makes it even harder. how much are the window switches go for?

you can f&*k up by spraying at low rpms too man. Nitrous in a hand of a stupid person can lead to bad things!
Old 03-08-2005, 09:30 PM

yup you can spray in 1st gear the reason i said spray in second is cuz you would be able to spray in a area where you have traction and be able to use it to its full potential plus you would be in your powerband which would further optimize the nitrous and no the solenoid does not automatically turn off when you shift you have to take your foot off the gas (some people for some reason like to keep it floored when they race even during a shift) a window switch with a good set of pills on ebay costs like 45 you can set it up to not start spraying until 3200 rpm and turn off when you reach 5800 rpm if you wanted to

oh and OP with me ill be lucky if i hit 15s with my 50 shot....
i ran a 16.9 here......at 5800 feet high
Old 03-08-2005, 09:35 PM

QUOTE (faithofadragon)
some people for some reason like to keep it floored when they race even during a shift

Dunno why people do that... especially on newer cars.

If its got a WOT switch like most setups (NX wet, NOS) then yeah, the solenoid has nothing to do with it. A few setups can run off a solenoid, kinda rare though.

Still don't see how you guys have traction problems with a 120whp car. I need to start teaching Launching 101 or something.... ROFLOL.

And you need to move down here with me. I'm... 100 ft above sea level, inland, with a decent track tongue.gif Ideal conditions. tongue.gif
Old 03-08-2005, 09:35 PM

You are right man, spraying in 1st is almost like launchin at 5k rpms... pointless and stupid!

Solenoids do not shut off automaticly, ham meant when you take off your foot off the gas you diactivate your WOT switch and it turns off the solenoids.

People that do power shifting must have a lot of money because their clutch and tranny will not be very happy too long!

I will look into the window switch.

thanks

Ham, what was your best 60' time on your 5sp tibby???