Nitrous Oxide (NOS, Zex, NX Express, Venom, etc) This forum is for Nitrous Oxide discussions, and an area for folks to ask questions about Nitrous Oxide and related parts.

Why Don't You Have Nitrous???

Old 06-03-2005, 04:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

I'll have to get on Artic's side on this one (least most of it).

Nitrous and turbocharging can both be dangerous, both can cause severe damage to your car. If you install them both correctly (and plan the turbocharger setup correctly) than they really have no effect on longevity of the engine. Turbocharging does require maintenence, but personally I don't mind checking things for 20 mins before I take a car out for a drive. Thats not a big sacrifice.

Really, you guys make turbo lag out to be some vicious demon that stalls your car for 30 secs, then whams you back in your seat. As Artic said, 20Gs are laggy, but if I slam the throttle down with my 20G on the GSX, turbo lag is only a second or two for me. Its all about your setup. wink1.gif

And yes, if your diligent you could probably put together a kit for around the price of a nitrous kit. The problem is identifying good parts, getting all the small things (gaskets and such) to replace things, etc. You could probably make a kit for $1000, but it would take several months of searching for optimum prices and parts.
Old 06-03-2005, 04:24 PM

you are a funny guy.

Man once you turbo your car it never stops, you need to take extra super care of it and check what's under your hood after and before each drive you take. You sure can install the kit yourself, but how reliable will it be? How reliable will your car become once you install the turbo? I wouldn't even dare to take a turbocharged car that I did myself anywhere further than 200mi area from my home...

Nitrous is not safe? Since when??? Did you even read the 1st post? I didn't know our gas tanks leak?? rolleyes.gif

Nitrous is safer than turbo 10X! It's cooler and you don't use it for more than 15 seconds at a time. You don't stress your engine unless you press the button. With turbo your engine is contantly under stress...

Yes, you don't have to refill the bottle with the turbo, but you gotta do way more other things and pay for a lot more things!!!

Once you make a kit for $300-500 and make it work on your car I will believe you, before that please don't even give me this lame excuse! Dweet spent $1000 on his kit claiming that he had all he needed... and then what happened? It didn't work! DUhhhhhhh!!!! rolleyes.gif

I feel offended you calling drag racers "lame-ass redneck". It's something I and thousand of other people do and like a lot, so keep the "lame-ass redneck" comments to yourself.

OP
Old 06-03-2005, 05:44 PM

QUOTE (OdessitPashka @ Jun 3 2005, 10:24 PM)
I wouldn't even dare to take a turbocharged car that I did myself anywhere further than 200mi area from my home...How reliable will your car become once you install the turbo?...

They have something called boost controllers. That means you can turn up or down the boost...so you don't have to always drive at 20+PSI. Reliability always comes down to how much you torque a stud or purchased the correctly gasket thickness...small things like that. These small things are what make up the reliability of an engine. So it's up to the tuner to be patient and focused make these adjustments to prevent unreliability.

Once you make a kit for $300-500 and make it work on your car I will believe you, before that please don't even give me this lame excuse! Dweet spent $1000 on his kit claiming that he had all he needed... and then what happened? It didn't work! DUhhhhhhh!!!!

Dweet's the same one who though DSMers did swaps with the 4G64 head on a 4G63 block. Sorry...but I had to. tongue.gif It's just a slap in the face when a DSM tuner hasn't even heard of that swap...kinda like Evo owners. wink1.gif

I feel offended you calling drag racers "lame-ass redneck". It's something I and thousand of other people do and like a lot, so keep the "lame-ass redneck" comments to yourself.

Drag racing is red-neck. Ever watch those drag races on the ESPN/2? They all have southern accents, and they drag race a lot. The only skill you need is know how to shift...or if you're driving an automatic...just do a brake stand up to 3k RPMs and then floor it. And not to mention, a fast drag race car is mostly wallet tuning, unlike road courses where you have to tune your suspension for some negative camber on really twisty roads, or adjust the weight distribution for racing on a closed circuit course.

Sure, being impatient and getting a bottle of nitrous for a drag race at the back lot of an industrial complex might be fun for a few seconds, but if you think that getting a little nitrous kit, installing it, and hitting the local ricer dragging hangouts is considered real tuning, then you're sadly mistakened. But hell, you guys don't care about being tuners, just whatever gives you the edge. Have fun. rolleyes.gif
Old 06-03-2005, 05:55 PM

QUOTE (ArticChill)
a fast drag race car is mostly wallet tuning

And how do you figure going turbo isn't? It costs more than nitrous...
Old 06-03-2005, 06:03 PM

i dont want it cuz.......

i dont want to have to buy my hp and keep it in the trunk and actually have the power after i press the button (i dont know when i should press the button [and dont tell me when cuz i dont want to go buy a setup])

i want hp from the press of the gas, not a switch on the console...

its illegal.....

i dont want a high pressure tank sittin behind my rear seat.......
Old 06-03-2005, 07:07 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Roller, we don't use switches on the console to activate nitrous. tongue.gif Tooo much 2F2F... LOL.

You do realize most sub 12 second cars have suspensions totally setup for tuning. I'm near the point where I have to start spending the cash to start tuning the suspension moreso than tuning the engine itself. If your a true drag racer, you adjust the toe/camber and weight distribution just as much as a drifter/autocrosser.
Old 06-03-2005, 08:02 PM

QUOTE (hamhead @ Jun 3 2005, 08:07 PM)
You do realize most sub 12 second cars have suspensions totally setup for tuning. If your a true drag racer, you adjust the toe/camber and weight distribution just as much as a drifter/autocrosser.

See this Arctic... I guess you need to learn a little more about drag racing!

Also, once you put a turbo in your tib you will have to be in the same class as cars that you can't really compete with at the auto-x, so good luck!

The only skill you need is know how to shift...or if you're driving an automatic...just do a brake stand up to 3k RPMs and then floor it.

WRONG!!! Do some search before talking about drag racing! Drag racing is a piece of art! I will outrun you easily with the exactly the same mods just because you can't race and I bet you can't.... shifting fast isn't everything... rolleyes.gif

Once you build a 200whp car for $500 I will talk to you about this again...

They have something called boost controllers. That means you can turn up or down the boost...so you don't have to always drive at 20+PSI. Reliability always comes down to how much you torque a stud or purchased the correctly gasket thickness...small things like that. These small things are what make up the reliability of an engine. So it's up to the tuner to be patient and focused make these adjustments to prevent unreliability.

Unreliability starts with putting a turbo. Once you've done it you might have no idea what's going to happen to the car. Boost spike? How about blown coupler? Short or something with the electrical part? Overheating? Want me to name a few more thousand reasons why a turbocharged car is not reliable?

Gaskets and torque are important, but are far away from making a car reliable...

Ask anyone, they will tell you that once you go turbo you don't stop putting money and labor into your car because you just must!!!

Nitrous is a way to go for anything under 220-240whp and don't plan on rebuilding your engine.

Once again Arctic, please the "red-neck" comments to yourself. I told you that I feel offended that you are doing it again? Do I need to warn you?
Old 06-04-2005, 01:17 AM

I would love nitrous, but just can't afford it right now. I sprayed my car on the dyno at school and got it to 210whp. So yeah i would love nitrous. Just wondering how much does it cost to fill up a 15lb bottle?
Old 06-04-2005, 03:47 AM

$3.50-5.00 pel pound. you do the math.
Old 06-05-2005, 02:45 PM

And how do you figure going turbo isn't? It costs more than nitrous...

...which was in response to my quote:

a fast drag race car is mostly wallet tuning

You people need to learn to read. Never did I say that a drag race car doesn't involve turbochargers. Drag racing is wallet tuning, and that includes any F/I method or simple N/A. Don't assume what isn't stated. And my argument made no implications either.

See this Arctic... I guess you need to learn a little more about drag racing!

Also, once you put a turbo in your tib you will have to be in the same class as cars that you can't really compete with at the auto-x, so good luck!

Again, you assume such a car would have a stock suspension setup. And anyone who thinks that slapping on a turbo on their Tib would help them win auto-x venues, then they're sadly mistakened. Suspension is the key to that, and overlooking it would be for the guys that go behind the backlot of an industrial complex, or a vacant street, and street racing fellow ricers.

If your a true drag racer, you adjust the toe/camber and weight distribution just as much as a drifter/autocrosser.

You people seriously need to read and re-read. He said "true drag racer". Typical drag racers are the kids who have a sound system in the back, or have various shades of primer stuck on their cars. True drag racers normally have a roll bar/cage setup, and their suspension would only help the travel in a straight line without swaying left or right. Furthermore, they even disable the power steering so that they can shave off seconds on their 1/4 mile times.

However, I disagree with you, hamhead. One of the biggest factors in auto-x/road courses is having a low and desirably fixed roll center. Granted, it would help a drag car to have that type of suspension (mostly because of the lowered suspension provides better aerodynamics) but that's only when you need to gain fractions of a second on a powerful engine.

I'm not really referring to swapping out the stock strut susp for a set of coilovers and slapping on strut and sway bars. More like making the right adjustments in the type of bushings (choosing between polyurethane and nylon bushings) to find the best compression rate for the springs, depending on whatever the situation of the road course is.

ONG!!! Do some search before talking about drag racing! Drag racing is a piece of art! I will outrun you easily with the exactly the same mods just because you can't race and I bet you can't.... shifting fast isn't everything...

Wow...so many fallacies in this entire thread...I'm sure I'm missing some. First off, I never said shifting fast is a skill you need for drag racing. I said you need to know how to shift...primarily pertaining to the best shifting points...not the fastest. Second...how about instead of running your mouth and actually prove yourself by going to the S3 competition (in Ohio) on Aug 28-29th? You live in MD, so that gives you absolutely no excuse for you not to go. Neither is school or work. I'm from MA, and school starts that week for me. Skierd's from MD, and he's going, so I'm sure you can tag along with him.

Oh, it's a road course at S3, so you probably can't race and I bet you can't. lol.gif