Hyundai Aftermarket

Hyundai Aftermarket (https://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/forum/)
-   Nitrous Oxide (NOS, Zex, NX Express, Venom, etc) (https://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/forum/nitrous-oxide-nos-zex-nx-express-venom-etc-27/)
-   -   Why Don't You Have Nitrous??? (https://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/forum/nitrous-oxide-nos-zex-nx-express-venom-etc-27/why-dont-you-have-nitrous-28938/)

JonGTR 05-25-2005 06:53 AM

Just post your reason. I want to hear it EVERYONES reason.

It's a very easy mod to install and will give you anywhere between 180-210whp. You will see anywhere from high to low 14 second 1/4 mile times. I ran a 14.1@99mph with a 60 shot.
It might not be there all the time, but at least you can wax most of the cars on your local streets.
Like Random's post said, we want Hyundai to get out there and create some competition. I would love to see threads on other boards saying "A Tib just kicked my arse!"

So:

Is it because you can't afford it?
You can buy a used one off ebay for around $300 or less. I bought my NX kit for $350 shipped and it came with a 15lb bottle upgrade.

Is it because it's illegal on your streets?
Well, that's a good reason, but how many cops have searched your cars after getting a ticket? You can easily take the bottle out during the week and put it back in during the "track" sessions.
I can't be certain about your laws, but around here, it is only illegal if you have the nitrous hooked up. So disconnecting the nitrous line from the bottle is the only thing you need to do.

Is it because you are affraid of it?
Nitrous is VERY safe. I'm not going to go into it right now, but you can read about it more in other threads, or create your own.

Is it because you are affraid to install it?
What if I, or the rest of us experts, gave you our phone #'s. That way you can call us at any time during your install, and you will always have someone "at your side". You will have no problems installing it, and it will only take you a few hours, not even a full day like some claim. It doesn't take any special tools and I'm sure it can be done in your apt. complex. If not, just go to an abandoned parking lot and do it. tongue.gif

BuuGieWuuGie 05-25-2005 07:05 AM

dont want it to **** my car up

javageek 05-25-2005 07:20 AM

For me personally the reason I didn't install nitrous was I was confused about the build up to get my car where it could handle it. If you could look at my mods and tell me what I should do before running nitrous that would help. Maybe a DIY on how to build up a stock 2.0 Tib/Elantra to run a 75 shot of nitrous would help everyone out.

Here is what I have:

AEM CAI
SSA 4-1 Headers
OBX Underdrive Pulley
Magnecor Wires
Apexi N1 Catback Exhaust
Apexi SAFC2
Splitfire Oil Pressure Gauge
Splitfire Oil Temperature Gauge
AEM UEGO Wideband - On the Way
RSide AirRam IM - On the Way

I think alot of it has to deal with people getting confuse. I often hear get one or two steps colder on the plugs, get this, get that. Maybe if we had a list of part numbers, etc.

Great post by the way!

JonGTR 05-25-2005 07:31 AM

For a 50 shot or less:
NGK #BKR6E plugs ~$1 each.

That's it, no other aftermarket mods needed. Not even a filter. This is the low, easy, and SAFE power that will get you 14 second 1/4 mile times. This is mainly what I would like to see everyone doing so that the Tibs can be very well known.

For a 60 to an 80 shot:
Eclipse GST Fuel Pump ~$25 used
NGK #BKR7E plugs ~$1 each
Clutch ~$250-400 (psst, don't buy Spec)

It is STILL safe, only this will get you LOW 14's in the 1/4 mile. The fuel pump is also very easy to install and I can help with that too. Takes less than an hour. I could help with the clutch, but I would recommend you have some experience though.

javageek 05-25-2005 07:37 AM

With the 50 shot, is that on a STOCK Tib or one that is slightly modified I/H/E?

JonGTR 05-25-2005 07:41 AM

You DO NOT need any kind of mods, other than NGK plugs, to run a 50 shot.

I was running an 80 shot Direct Port with only a K&N filter.

I'll also be on CHAT during the day for questions. http://www.rdtiburon.com/flashchat/flashchat.php

Dmitry 05-25-2005 08:24 AM

I don't want to run nitrous cause it's not constant power. Only at WOT and with pressed button.

How long can you run on 1 bottle, lets say with 50 shot?

javageek 05-25-2005 08:34 AM

Most systems do not require you to press a button. They are activated at WOT by a micro switch or the TPS.

supercow 05-25-2005 08:41 AM

i'm not interested because it's not power thats always there and because it only legal on the track and there is no track around here... well at least for a couple hours.

zoned019 05-25-2005 08:56 AM

I don't have nitrous because I want to have power ALL the time, not just on the track. I'd rather spend that money saving for another N/A mod or going in my turbo fund.

BuuGieWuuGie 05-25-2005 09:02 AM

^^^^^^ that reason too laugh.gif

silvertibbs 05-25-2005 09:02 AM

^ Yup, my reasoning too.

I wouldn't get a use out of it. Closest track is about an hours drive from here so I wouldn't use it that often. And because it's illegal I wouldn't want to risk my car being impounded. (Yes they can do that here - illegal vehicle)

Though it is surely the best bang for the buck though.

shark2 05-25-2005 09:06 AM

I don't have nitrous because

1) I'm trying to get a stick tib.
2) I'm still really inexperienced with cars in general. Example: What does wide open throttle mean?
3) The only nitrous stories I hear are cars catching on fire and there are many of those. If they are tuners with experience how can that happen?

Still it'd be nice to have the potential power like that at any time. And 300 or so really isnt that much, it's one paycheck for me.

zoned019 05-25-2005 09:22 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shark2 @ May 25 2005, 03:06 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>I don't have turbo because</div>
We're talking about Nitrous, not a turbo.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shark2 @ May 25 2005, 03:06 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>1) I'm trying to get a stick tib.</div>
You can run Nitrous on an automatic tib

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shark2 @ May 25 2005, 03:06 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>2) I'm still really inexperienced with cars in general. Example: What does wide open throttle mean?</div>
Wide Open Throttle (WOT) is pretty self-explanator man lol.gif it means when you have it floored, aka Full Throttle

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shark2 @ May 25 2005, 03:06 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>3) The only nitrous stories I hear are cars catching on fire and there are many of those. If they are tuners with experience how can that happen?</div>
Most are from idiots who don't know what they're doing .. they're not experienced.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shark2 @ May 25 2005, 03:06 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>Still it'd be nice to have the potential power like that at any time. And 300 or so really isnt that much, it's one paycheck for me.
<div align='right'><{POST_SNAPBACK}></div></div>
ditto, but I don't go to the track, so I guess it would just be cool for bragging rights.

shark2 05-25-2005 10:34 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zoned019 @ May 25 2005, 03:22 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>We're talking about Nitrous, not a turbo.
Lol. Typo.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zoned019 @ May 25 2005, 03:22 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>You can run Nitrous on an automatic tib
I know. But I was talking money factor. Right now my money is being saved for a 5-speed, so what would be the point in putting nitrous in my current car?

faithofadragon 05-25-2005 10:49 AM

brk6e-11 it thought...

JonGTR 05-25-2005 10:52 AM

The -11 refers to the gap size. You can gap it yourself. The -11 usually isnt available in my area, so I just get the standard plug.

12SecRD 05-25-2005 10:56 AM

Had zex 75 shot ,,,,then tried boost....i like boost better tongue.gif

TibRacer01 05-25-2005 11:04 AM

I haven't gotten it because I was saving for a turbo.

However, I just received a sponsorship through Venom, so we will see what they can do for me.

paperstsoapco 05-25-2005 11:20 AM

well i dont really plan on drag racing, and i dont really see the point of gettin nitrous otherwise.

hamhead 05-25-2005 11:44 AM

Well, as you said, its illegal here. Talked to the local police, and the nitrous has to be unhooked as well as solenoid wiring and some other stuff... complete garbage, but its a small town, and word that someone has put on nitrous/turbo/etc. goes around fast... they follow my GSX everywhere. They already follow the Tib enough...

I'll probably get it after all the bolt-ons if I still feel a little need for some added fun.

rallyman 05-25-2005 12:35 PM

I haven't really given it much consideration but certainly the power increase for dollar outlay is very good. If it weren't illegal for street use I would be much more likely to get it.

OdessitPashka 05-25-2005 12:48 PM

Simply because I'm too lazy to get it out of my basement and spend a few hours to install it :blush:

It should be done by the end of June though.

And I wanted to add that FordFasterr was running 90 shot on his custom kit with a new fuel pump and colder plugs on his beta1 J2.

I also, plan on hitting 13s with my nitrous kit. Seeing that I'm running flat 15 with I/H/E and I plan on adding a few more things, and then adding 80 maybe 90 shot with my NX kit, I definitely see myself in mid 13s if I get traction right!

Viper966 05-25-2005 02:38 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (paperstsoapco @ May 25 2005, 05:20 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>well i dont really plan on drag racing, and i dont really see the point of gettin nitrous otherwise.
<div align='right'><{POST_SNAPBACK}></div></div>had it... got sick of filling up bottles.... went to a big turbo instead.... i think i mad the right choice

01blacktib 05-25-2005 02:41 PM

how much does fillin up bottles cost? and where can it be done? i've thought of that as a natural con to NOS

OdessitPashka 05-25-2005 02:54 PM

$35-50 a bottle

JonGTR 05-26-2005 06:47 AM

It's usually $3-3.50/lb. There should be someone in your town that sells it. Not every shop does, but more and more are doing it these days.

A 10lb bottle should last about 10 runs on a 50 shot.

CyberShark 05-26-2005 08:59 AM

I have been tempted to get nitrous in the past, but I don't do any racing at all so it's just not practical for me.

Mad_john 05-26-2005 09:36 AM

got no loot at this time. i want a better kit. my old one has had it. :blush:

faithofadragon 05-26-2005 09:46 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JonGTR @ May 25 2005, 04:52 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>The -11 refers to the gap size. You can gap it yourself. The -11 usually isnt available in my area, so I just get the standard plug.

well i can almost guarantee that bkr6e-11 is near you

go to a nissan dealership ask for part number
22401-50y06
list is 1.92

if you want the stock heat (bkr5e-11)
ask for 22401-50y05
list is 1.92

hehe i work for nissan
i cross checked the ngk part number to nissans

JonGTR 05-26-2005 10:23 AM

I'm running a turbo, so I get the BKR7E. They have them at the parts store.

Kiltman 05-31-2005 08:28 AM

i would so a lot more to my tib but i the next oil change i do i will break 150,000 miles. to many to be doing much engine work. i would love haveing a turbo or nitrous though.

JonGTR 05-31-2005 09:17 AM

Get another motor. It only costs $300 for a 15k motor at a junkyard and you can swap it in yourself in less than a day. wink1.gif

jToIeB 05-31-2005 09:36 AM

I don't really see a point in having nitrous unless you drag OFTEN. Plus, I want power that I don't have to "refill" every 10 times I use it.

'treezy 05-31-2005 09:40 AM

I want to do Nitrous for "track" use but am patiently waiting for my cf hood to arrive so I can begin the body work on my car (not really adding anyhting just fixing dents and scratches and then painting, then hood installation). I've been saving $$ for the paint job and only after that will I consider Nitrous kit. I may want to get clutch first, then run a higher shot of Nitrous instead of being stuck on 50 shots for the first few months (then end up re-filling, I'm guessing, twice a month).

So, time is why I haven't gotten a Nitrous kit yet, and I'd want to get used but don't trust just anyone's used kit. I'd want say your used kit or just go brand spankin new.

oh yeah, Jon, do your over the phone/"by your side" kinda walkthrough installation thingy come with a warranty? Say I phuck up the solenoids and nothing works......lol. like, 2 minute/2mile warranty, whichever comes first?

majik 05-31-2005 10:04 AM

I didn't read everyone's replies, but here are mine.

I'd really like to get it installed, but...

1. I know nobody who has it around this hick-town called nashville.
2. I know nobody around here who has any knowledge on it.
3. I know very little about it (lack of understanding brings fear)
4. I don't trust my engine/auto tranny to hold up to it
5. I'll be addicted to the button and get myself in trouble :blink:
6. Tibby is my daily driver... my only car.. I can't afford to mess something up and not have it the next day for school/work.

I'm at the 100,000 mile mark on my 00 Tib. I drive it everywhere. I don't have the money to get a new engine and a new tranny just so I can spray. I'm trying to pay off college loans, going to be getting engaged within the year, going to be buying my first house and try to put as much of a down payment as possible on it... there are too many other things that need financial attention before I can look into swapping engines and trannies just so I can have some fun with a button

Spiffywerks 05-31-2005 10:08 AM

My Reasons...

I messed up an engine without any forced induction....

but really, my main reason...

I know Jaws021 personally. That should be enough explaination alone. tongue.gif

buffbentley 05-31-2005 03:06 PM

I don't have nitrous because I'm still waiting to recieve mine from fedex. Should be here this week though....... tongue.gif

01importshark 05-31-2005 03:20 PM

Here are my reasons..

Well i just spent a whole sh!t load of $$ on a forced induction setup.. I may be using nitrous later on to cool it tho with the NX "ntercooler" system.

I was going to go with nitrous, but i cant use much hatch space as it is with my sub box.

I have no doubts that the tib can handle it from talking with jonGTR and seeing his results. Dweet also said nitrous was really nice and safe.

I like the constant power idea alot more. i would be refilling my bottles on a weekly basis which would get really expensive. in the long run turbo will be better descision.

i want to be original. and anyone can slap on a nitrous kit, but not anyone will have a turbo setup like me smile.gif

'treezy 05-31-2005 04:09 PM

If I were to use Nitrous, I'd use it to have a higher top speed faster. I like the way my car accelerates now with NA mods (of course it can alwasy be faster...) but I am not happy with the rev limiter at 6750 and my top speed of low 130's. I'd like to push my car to 150 for short periods of time and Nitrous should help. First I need to do my research and find a way around the rev limiter and maybe look into a fuel management system (logic tells me I'll need one if I disable the rev limiter). That involves time and I don't have any until June 15th.

anyone care to enlighten me if my plans are attainable?

getting rid of rev limiter
do I need safc or anything of the likes?
fuel pump upgrade
colder plugs
50+shot