Nitrous Oxide (NOS, Zex, NX Express, Venom, etc) This forum is for Nitrous Oxide discussions, and an area for folks to ask questions about Nitrous Oxide and related parts.

What to get before getting ZEX

Old 01-31-2003, 09:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to get before getting ZEX

Alright ya'll, I have a 2K1 Tib, custom catback, cai, muffler, getting SR GT Cam and OBX 4-2-1 Headers by the end of March. I wanna get either a 50 or 75 shot of Zex. What should I do. I know next to nothing about nitrous... oh yea, i have an automagic. Thanks
Old 01-31-2003, 02:37 PM

you might need to get a new fuel pump. i don't know if our stock fuel pumps can provide what you need.
Old 02-01-2003, 12:50 AM

You Ricer... go to HP.com and search in their N2o Forum.. You will learn alot there.. (HP.com STILL sucks, but knowledge is knowledge) Oh.. OR you can call me.. I know a little bit for some odd reason.......... rolleyes.gif
wiggle_m wiggle_m
Old 02-01-2003, 02:30 AM

Vehicle: 2005 MINI Cooper S

Choopi:
You Ricer... go to HP.com and search in their N2o Forum.. You will learn alot there.. (HP.com STILL sucks, but knowledge is knowledge) Oh.. OR you can call me.. I know a little bit for some odd reason.......... rolleyes.gif
wiggle_m wiggle_m
Choops, we have our own nitrous expert here, Jaws021 knows a lot about hooking it up, as well as the best brands to use.
Old 02-02-2003, 11:22 AM

HP.com sucks? Isn't Jaws on HP.com as well? rolleyes.gif
Old 02-02-2003, 02:31 PM

Choopi:
You Ricer... go to HP.com and search in their N2o Forum.. You will learn alot there.. (HP.com STILL sucks, but knowledge is knowledge)

AccentMangaGL:
HP.com sucks? Isn't Jaws on HP.com as well? rolleyes.gif
YES I AM

I moderate the nitrous forum their along with 4 very intelligent moderators...

Now please stay on topic...

Cleanshark:
With a 50... youll be alright stock...
Get copper plugs (ngk vpower)
if you want to be extra safe... ask for NGK vpower spark plugs for a 95 mitsu eclipse RS (non turbo)
Plugs are like 1.25 each

If you want to go with a 75... you MUST upgrade plugs and you MUST upgrade your fuel pump

If you want to get something higher than a 75... get an NX kit

you should be ok between 75-90 with an NX kit

[ February 07, 2003, 12:01 AM: Message edited by: JAWS 021 ]
Old 02-03-2003, 01:16 PM

Ok well being back on topic...I don't think you can run those cams with nitrous. Reason being is they ADVANCE timing while nitrous needs to be RETARDED. I believe people have caused serious damage to their motor due to this. So I think you'd have to go to stock cams or you'd have to retard the timing somehow further back then normal.
Old 02-03-2003, 01:50 PM

Regarding the cams, With N2O your concern would be ingition advance causing an increased likelyhood of detonation. Long duration performance Cams will sometimes run some advance but if a different kind. Mechanicle valvetrain advance. This affects opening and closing of vales relative to piston stroke as opposed the the point of ignition relative to piston stroke. This typically does not have any dangers or adverse affects when running in conjuction with N2O. However ECU tunning to optimize operation of cams or and ECU tunning in general can. Usually ECU tunnning has some advance timing thrown in at the lower RPM range. This is very bad for running Nitrous. As for ignition If you are running higher than 50 shot in an NX kit I would recomend some aftermarket ignition system in order to retard timing some.
Old 02-03-2003, 03:27 PM

AccentMangaGL:
Ok well being back on topic...I don't think you can run those cams with nitrous. Reason being is they ADVANCE timing while nitrous needs to be RETARDED. I believe people have caused serious damage to their motor due to this. So I think you'd have to go to stock cams or you'd have to retard the timing somehow further back then normal.
This is not true.. and its not many people... just brendan

Theres a difference between cam timing and ignition timing.. just look at gs-r's post

Youll be fine with the GT cam
Old 02-09-2003, 07:01 AM

change cam timing? change ignition timing??? FOOOGGEDDABOUDIT.

you can safely spray 75 hp with the stock fuel system on your 2001. (and you can spray lots more safely with the proper fuel upgrades)...

and i suggest a wet kit not a dry zex kit. they SUCK. If you forget to use clamps on the vacuum lines to the FPR they pop off while spraying and then the engine leans out.. KABOOM ! LOL

funny to pull off the head and see the valves melted in half. hahaa

so, get a wet kit and you dont have to change any timing or mess with the engine or do any other super expensive stuff .. change the spark plugs to NGK part #BKR6E-11, and then just bolt on the nitrous kit and fill up the bottle and spray ! (be sure to use premium fuel)...

Now if you really want the Zex kit, go for it. It will work just fine if its installed right.

for more info see my website, lots of pics and info, http://www.nitrousworld.org

[ February 09, 2003, 02:03 PM: Message edited by: FordFasteR ]