Nitrous Oxide (NOS, Zex, NX Express, Venom, etc) This forum is for Nitrous Oxide discussions, and an area for folks to ask questions about Nitrous Oxide and related parts.

Safe shot

Old 09-05-2010, 01:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1997/Hyundai/Coupe 2.0l SE
Default Safe shot

I'm about to order my nitrous kit. I have a Gen 1, 97 model, and I'm after a bit of knowledge. The only mods I have done under the bonnet is a CAI and throttle body heater bypass. It's a 2.0 beta engine that's done 109k miles. So how big a shot can I safely use without a progressive controller? Which spark plugs should I fit? Is it worth fitting a purge kit? And which is safer/better wet or dry shot?
Old 09-05-2010, 02:01 PM

Vehicle: 1998 Hyundai Tiburon

wet shot, 55 hp shot from zex is okay for casual use, 2 times colder plugs.
Old 09-05-2010, 02:06 PM

Vehicle: 1997/Hyundai/Coupe 2.0l SE

Sweet cheers. Sounds dumb but how noticable is a 55 shot gonna be? I've had a mooch on the Zex website and can't see what the postage would be to get it to the UK. I can get kits over here(Wizards of Nos and Akamoto) but Zex is a VERY well known and trusted kit so I'd lean more towards them smile.gif
Old 09-05-2010, 03:44 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

55 is a good way to go. You can up the jets to 75, but I wouldn't push it past that. You can't do dry shot without some sort of fuel tuning or you will just ruin your engine. You pretty much need a purge kit, or you'll be very rich towards the first part of the spray. Purge, bottle heater, and pressure gauge are pretty much required acessories, and you NEED a safety blowdown because you share the same airspace with the Nitrous bottle. Just get the "Nitrous Racer" kit to go with the ZEX kit.
Old 09-05-2010, 06:37 PM

Vehicle: 1997 hyundai tiburon fx

Well this summer I installed zex wet kit. With mods listed below without the zex and springs and struts the car went 16.1 in the 1/4. With the springs, struts and 55 shot zex wet kit the car went 14.5 at 94mph in the 1/4. I have time slips, but I'm still working on how to put pictures up. So you do notice it. I hope that helps.
Old 09-07-2010, 01:11 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

Go with Nitrous Express. They're the leader in the industry and have better parts. I've used different nozzles and theirs sprayed a better pattern by far.
The single nozzle fogger kit comes with 35, 50, and 75 shot jets. If you want anything different, then you can buy the jets on Ebay for about $3 each.

You don't need a purge. Yes, you might get a delay of power for a split second, but think of it as an alternative to a progressive controller.

A heater is also optional but it helps you get every bit out of the tank when it's less than half empty. A full bottle will have the appropriate pressure, but as it gets the ntrous runs out, the pressure gets lower. You DO need a pressure gauge though.

I used an NX single fogger kit back in 2002 and ran a 14.3@99mph on a 60 shot. Then went to a direct port 80 shot and ran a 14.1. The Tiburon no longer needs nitrous, but I now have it in my Turbodiesel. wink.gif
Old 09-07-2010, 01:15 PM
DTN

^^ That's not an alternative to a progressive controller. The fuel will shoot in first and bog down the vehicle, then the nitrous catches up.

What makes a spray pattern better? How are the parts better?
Old 09-07-2010, 01:39 PM

NX has a better warranty on the solenoids and are known for their durability. The spray pattern was wider and finer on the Shark nozzle than any of the other brands. I literally took them out of the intake and watched them spray.

You will NOT bog down the motor as much as you say. You will still get nitrous and a boost, but it will not be as harsh as a full instant shot. So I say yes, it's a cheap alternative when using 75+ shots. You act like the car will nose dive when the unpurged shot hits. Doesn't happen!

I had a progressive controller before:

Old 09-07-2010, 01:45 PM
DTN

All I said was it will bog the car. I also don't notice a "harshness" when I shoot nitrous. It's actually rather smooth when it hits. Running too rich can cause backfiring.
Old 09-07-2010, 01:51 PM

And all I'm saying is it WILL NOT bog the car. It never has for me, nor has it ever backfired due to an extreme rich condition. People run without a purge all the time and NEVER have the simptoms your stating. Oh wait, I never did! And on an 80 shot, never backfired. You're taking your theories and overexagerating them.