Nitrous Oxide (NOS, Zex, NX Express, Venom, etc) This forum is for Nitrous Oxide discussions, and an area for folks to ask questions about Nitrous Oxide and related parts.

Questions For Those Who Spray

Old 07-25-2005, 12:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

ok after i get my dash back on i decided im gonna finally hook up the nitrous kit that ive had since like november BUT i got a few questions

i was thinkin of mounting the bottle in the floorboard behind the passengers seat(remember i have a elantra...) and only keeping it there when i go to the track or for um "special occasions..." what do you guys think of that?
i could cover the bolt holes with a floor mat or somethin plus there is a vent for the heater right under the passenger seat...keep things warm

also i heard you need to have a blow down tube if you wanna run at the track
i cant think of a way of installin it any clues?

would you still have to wire up the micro switch if you have like a msd window switch?
i heard micro switches crap out alot

thoughts?
Old 07-25-2005, 04:24 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

It's not that they crap out electrically, it's that the metal trips break off.

It depends on your track if you need a blowdown tube. I never had one while it was in the hatch. They never looked inside the car. Therefore, no one can answer this question for you.

The vent is not gonna keep the bottle warm. The bottle heaters get too hot to touch. The cheapest way to warm a bottle is to buy a $12 torch kit and run it up and down the bottle. Make sure you keep an eye on the pressure.

I dont believe you need a micro switch with a msd switch.
Old 07-25-2005, 04:31 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

hmm would a bottle heater melt the nos bottle blanket?

and i know the heater wouldnt heat it much lol but every little bit helps...
Old 07-25-2005, 05:39 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

As said, blowdown tube depends on track. Here, we don't need them, where you are, maybe. Call and ask.

Personally, heating with a torch is kinda odd, but whatever works. lmao.gif As said, don't let the pressures get too high. 950-1000PSI is what you want.
Old 07-26-2005, 06:44 AM

I have heard of people using the blanket with the heater, but why buy a blanket? It's not that big of a deal.

I was looking around for heaters and couldn't afford the $200 for one, so I asked a guy who runs 7's in street class. He says a lot of the professionals just use the torch. It keeps the bottle heated for quite a while. At least until the run is over with. $200 vs. $12 is quite a difference.
Old 07-26-2005, 07:20 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

A couple local guys around hear use the the heating element found in the "heated seats" of VW's/Audi's. They get them from a scrap yard for dirt cheap and work perfect. Cheap and it works! fing02.gif
Old 08-09-2005, 11:56 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Veilside Turbulence

im thinkin bout "bottle-bombing" my rd2. is there a diy somewhere on this site because i couldnt find one in the diy forum. also, is it imperative that the bottle be warmed or is that just an option.

also i thought n20 was...yanno...highly flamable...so torching the bottle that holds it doesnt sound like the most intelligent thing to do in my eyes...but ive been wrong in the past. just sayin there has to be a safer way than an open flame.

blowup.gif
Old 08-10-2005, 02:33 AM

There is a DIY for NX kit. It's just old, so enable search for all threads or just run through the whole DIY section.

Warming the bottle is needed to achieve the pressure of the gas so you will get enough nitrous to fuel that you will be spraying.

Nitrous is not flamable by itself, but using a torch might get nasty if you overheat the bottle and pressure will get too high. Also, using a torch messes up the bottle...
Old 08-10-2005, 05:50 AM

Nitrous is not flammable and the torch will not ignite it.
I used the torch on my painted bottle and it didn't hurt anything. I also used it on the NX white paint. Just run it up and down the bottle and it'll be fine. It'll take a couple minuted before the pressure goes up, but the bottle won't explode unless you have it at an insane pressure like 3k psi. You only need 1300 or so. Just watch your gauge.
Just try it once before buying the $220 heater kit. If anything, you wasted $10.
Old 08-10-2005, 12:33 PM

I guess you are right, but it just seems weird using a torch....