Nitrous Oxide (NOS, Zex, NX Express, Venom, etc) This forum is for Nitrous Oxide discussions, and an area for folks to ask questions about Nitrous Oxide and related parts.

Question about mounting location

Old 09-15-2010, 11:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Accent
Default Question about mounting location

Ive read in a few articles that its not recommended to mount your nitrous bottle behind your seat on the floorboard, and it should be mounted as far away (trunk or hatch) as possible. Why is this? Is it just for safety in case something happens to the bottle? I havent found an actual answer to this, so wondering if someone here could explain. I dont have a remote bottle opener, so I would think mounting it somewhere within arms reach would be okso you could open the bottle when you need to.
Old 09-15-2010, 12:13 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

blah blah blah i didnt listen to those "recommendations" and never had a problem with it

mine was mounted within arms reach behind the passenger seat when i went to the track, i had a blow down tube though

if the bottle opened up, all that would happen is you would laugh your ass off

BUT check with local laws it is ILLEGAL in alot of places to have a connected bottle on the streets, or to have a bottle in the passenger compartment period
Old 09-15-2010, 01:05 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

It's only blah blah until you asphyxiate to death.
Old 09-15-2010, 01:41 PM

Vehicle: 1997/Hyundai/Coupe 2.0l SE

"BUT check with local laws it is ILLEGAL in alot of places to have a connected bottle on the streets, or to have a bottle in the passenger compartment period"

Really!?!? Where?? I live in the UK and it's legal to put the bottle wherever you like and have it connected at all times. Maybe someone could list where you can or can't have it connected and make it a sticky.
Old 09-15-2010, 01:58 PM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

Laws are probably much more different in Europe, than here in the states. We're pretty strict here and cops will write you tickets for alot of stuff that you can get away with over on your side of the world. smile.gif
Old 09-15-2010, 02:25 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

Nothing will happen if the bottled cracked. The gas would escape and you'd know it cause your eyes and nostrils would burn. The sulpher would let you know to exit the car.

You will NOT asphyxiate!
Old 09-15-2010, 03:24 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

Now that I have more time...

The bottles in nitrous kits come with what are called rupture discs. They are designed to release the gas when pressures get too high. They will release all the gas in a matter of a few seconds, but this will not harm you because there's not enough to do much inside the car. And you will react to this in time to evacuate the car once you start smelling the sulphur.
Most gas cylinders are like 1/2" thick. It would take a severe beating or explosion to puncture the casing. And like I said, the rupture disc will blow off WAY before then Therefore, there will never be an instant explosion.
Old 09-16-2010, 12:15 AM

There is a video of a bottle dumping it's gas on the Wizards of Nos website specially to show that you wouldn't lose control of your car or roll around the footwells giggling like an insane fool. When I get home I'll find the link.
Old 09-16-2010, 07:05 AM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

The reason is you want it on one of the four corners of the car, where it's likely to vent to air rather then add oxygen to a potential fuel leak. Because if there is a leak, things like carpet which normally won't burn, will burn when exposed to nitrous and a small spark. A safety blow down will reduce the risk associated with having the nitrous in the same compartment, but you still want it further away from you. Also, if it's in the back seat, people who sit back there are going to play with it, step on the hoses, and basically you cannot trust anyone in your back seat. On top of that, because the seat leans back, and can squeeze the bottle, people are likely to not secure the bottle properly, leading to the bottle flying around the vehicle and causing an explosion during an accident.

It's bad procedure to keep the bottle in the passenger compartment. Secure it well in the trunk where there's no people. Get a remote bottle opener, or just turn it on when you think it's needed.

By installing a full Nitrous Oxide bottle, you are transporting a hazardous material. According to the Hazmat class I went to, Nitrous Oxide is a level 2 oxidizer, which means it will cause things to burn which normally won't burn. Also a 2 on the fire diamond means "Intense or continued but not chronic exposure could cause temporary incapacitation or possible residual injury" The best thing is always to keep hazardous materials as far away as possible.

Not only is it dangerous to you, but it can be dangerous to all other cars on the road if your car catches fire, or someone steps on your nitrous valve. That could cause it to break and shoot through your car, into someone else's car.

Most states have laws where you cannot have the bottle connected while driving. Some say the bottle cannot be in the car unless going to the track. Some have no laws. Some specify that you put the bottle in the trunk at all times.

As far as I'm concerned, it's a good idea to keep it in the trunk regardless of laws. It's a bunch of small reductions in risk that lead to it being a good idea, and the law in some places.
Old 09-16-2010, 11:36 AM

This is video I was on about this morning http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytK6Bgqw0ug...feature=related