Nitrous Oxide (NOS, Zex, NX Express, Venom, etc) This forum is for Nitrous Oxide discussions, and an area for folks to ask questions about Nitrous Oxide and related parts.

platinum plugs

Old 12-28-2011, 02:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon
Default platinum plugs

Can someone give me a definitive answer to this? I searched and have read that some people said its ok to use platinum plugs while spraying and other people have said its a big no-no. Whats the answer because I need to buy new plugs this weekend for my car and I want to make sure I have the right ones before I get my bottled refilled.
Old 12-28-2011, 02:09 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Genesis Coupe

I think as long as you use a step colder on the plugs it shouldn't matter. But I am new to Nitrous myself as I am installing my kid in January. So I am also interested in the Platinum or No Platinum dicussion.

In for answers!
Old 12-28-2011, 03:46 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500

Originally Posted by HellBilly
I think as long as you use a step colder on the plugs it shouldn't matter. But I am new to Nitrous myself as I am installing my kid in January. So I am also interested in the Platinum or No Platinum dicussion.

In for answers!

Short answer. Absolutely not.

platinum coating mixes with an oxidizer and there inability to fire fast enough at a low enough heat range. I used to run a 150 shot on my 2011 Mustang GT, and the best plug for this application is a Silver plug, with a non projected tip.

Brisk Racing makes these. Autolite also makes plugs like this.

You really only want to run Silver or Iridium (second choice) for nitrous setups.
Old 12-28-2011, 06:50 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Genesis Coupe

Originally Posted by Seer
Short answer. Absolutely not.

platinum coating mixes with an oxidizer and there inability to fire fast enough at a low enough heat range. I used to run a 150 shot on my 2011 Mustang GT, and the best plug for this application is a Silver plug, with a non projected tip.

Brisk Racing makes these. Autolite also makes plugs like this.

You really only want to run Silver or Iridium (second choice) for nitrous setups.

Good to know, told you I was a n00b at Nitrous. Thanks for the answer!
Old 12-28-2011, 07:17 PM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

Zex plugs are great for nitrous use. You can usually find them at really good prices on a few sites or ebay. Just make sure they're gapped properly before putting them in.
Old 12-28-2011, 11:20 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 14 EGT 2.0

http://www.ngk.com/glossary.asp?kw=C...n?&manID=1&pt=