Nitrous Oxide (NOS, Zex, NX Express, Venom, etc) This forum is for Nitrous Oxide discussions, and an area for folks to ask questions about Nitrous Oxide and related parts.

Nitrous = Higher RPM?

Old 09-23-2003, 01:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, pardon my ignorance but no-one has been able (in real life) to answer my question properly.

Just what happens when you use nitrous? The way that I invision it is that at around 5500-6000rpm, it would kick in (this is hypothetical) and then WHAMMO, does it knock up your RPM to 7-8000rpm or does it stay around the same, just adding more power?

The only way that I can picture it so far is that using nitrous is like pushing the pedal down even further, there-fore adding more RPM and more strain on the engine. How much of this is correct and bogus (just so I know what I'm getting myself into by --POSSIBLY-- adding a ZEX kit onto my 2000 Tiburon ES (currently with 32,000km)?

Also, should I wait till around 50-60K km before doing any drastic changes? A guy who thinks he knows cars at work (London Drugs - Canada) mentioned that it would be a good idea to ass nitrous and/or a Supercharger/Turbo Charger only after the engine has been 'broken in'.

Any help on the subject will be welcomed with open arms.

-Aqua
Old 09-25-2003, 11:17 AM

The nitrous kicks in when ever you want it to kick in

Most prefer to have it set at wide open throttle... since that is the safest time to have it spray

Another thing... our redline is at 6750rpm... you know what happens if you spray nitrous at 6750rpm???
BOOM!
You hit the redline and the ECU cuts the fuel... so now you have no fuel, and gang of air, and the NAWZ
So your car goes boom!
Pistons or rods will start flying and hopefully none of them will fly side way and hit you in the nuts

Nitrous will add as much power as you want it.. usually in 35, 50, 75 shot amounts

Your engine is broken in by the way... engines fully break in after about 2-3k miles (3200-4800kilometers)
So your engine is fully broken in

If you want to turbo and use nitrous... i strongly recommend you do a lot of research...
Using both will put you in an insane category which will take a lot of dedication and prep work, which the average person does not want to go through.

I strongly recommend you look into buying an NX nitrous kit
Old 09-25-2003, 11:01 PM

Groovy stuff. Thanks for the reply man, I appreciate it!
Old 09-26-2003, 08:03 PM

<--- is insane lmao nitrous s/c combo here I come
Old 10-01-2003, 07:24 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

QUOTE (JAWS021)
Another thing... our redline is at 6750rpm... you know what happens if you spray nitrous at 6750rpm???
BOOM!
You hit the redline and the ECU cuts the fuel... so now you have no fuel, and gang of air, and the NAWZ
So your car goes boom!
Pistons or rods will start flying and hopefully none of them will fly side way and hit you in the nuts

Actually, I've hit the rev limiter maybe 4 times, but shifted immediatly afterwards because I misjudged it by half a second. So it didn't lean out for too long. Sometimes you can't help but stare at the Z28 or GT your spanking and not pay any attention to your redline. lol.gif
Also, when I switched to the 60 shot, my stock fuel pump couldn't handle it and I ran lean down the 1/4 mile twice before I figured that was what the shaking was. :roll:

I'm ashamed to say this, but I also forgot to tighten the hose around the fuel jet once. The hose completely disconnected and I ran a 50 shot of PURE nitrous without the added fuel. shock.gif

This doesn't mean that my engine isn't damaged, but I don't hear or feel anything out of the ordinary.
Old 10-01-2003, 08:41 AM

Vehicle: 2K Tib

QUOTE (aquamarine)
Just what happens when you use nitrous?
-Aqua

Cars use air, fuel, and compression to create power. Without great expense you can do nothing about compression, so your left with modifying air and fuel.
Over simplified it's this equation:

Air + Fuel = Power

Really there is a balance that must be achieved. Something around 14:1 ratio air to fuel. Injecting Nitrous Oxide into the intake is a way of adding more Air to the system (in the form of oxygen). But your not really increasing the amount of air (considering mass or volume), just the oxygen content of the air, which is what matters for the combustion process.

So, there you are in 4th gear, 70 MPH, 4800 RPM (approximation) and your foot nailed to the floor. You have a 50 shot (that's a nitrous injection metered to add 50 horsepower) and you mash the button and scream "GO BABY GO!"

Well, when you hit the button nitrous oxide is injected into the intake and replaces some of the volume of normal air that gets sucked into the cylinders. When it mixes with the fuel, gets compressed and ignited more fuel gets burned (because there is more oxygen than in normal air), the ECU detects a "lean" signal via the O2 sensors in the exhaust, and adds fuel. You've added Air and Fuel so you have more Power.

Well, thats the gist of it anyway as I understand it.
Old 10-01-2003, 12:42 PM

Thanks Blue, that is by far the easiest and best way I have found to explain how nitrous works.
Old 10-08-2003, 01:10 PM

Your lucky jon...
When i had my zex kit... the fuel pressure hose slipped off.... i heard the clamp bounce off something (cling sound)...
by then it was too late

I had lost 50 pounds of compression in cyl 2

I didnt realize our fuel pump started to give out around a 60 wet...

I never had the problem since ive been riding around with my GST pump for the last couple of years.
Old 10-09-2003, 06:45 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

If you think about it, someone calculated that the stock pump maxes out around 180hp. So that's about 120whp stock plus 60 from the nitrous.
Old 10-14-2003, 02:13 PM

Yea i remember it was around 180, but that was on 4 injectors.

Using the NX method of a fogger nozzle you pretty much add a 5th injector

I figured it would be a bit much higher... but either way, it would be too close to call to recommend.

Another thing we could do, is the DSM 8 gauge wire trick...
Give the pump direct voltage from the battery using some nice thick ass wiring.
That should give us a nice cushion to play with...
Then again... 20 bucks for a GST pump is really not that much compared to the 15 bucks for wiring.

Oh well...