Nitrous Oxide (NOS, Zex, NX Express, Venom, etc) This forum is for Nitrous Oxide discussions, and an area for folks to ask questions about Nitrous Oxide and related parts.

Dumb F'in Question About Nitrous

Old 04-21-2005, 11:17 AM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Yeah, but there would be enough room for air to pass on the sides of it too. That was the first one i found as well...

Maybe i should start a new thread for this? It may just be possible to invent something new here.
Old 04-21-2005, 11:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wouldn't work dude

A peltier much used for cooling computer cpu's cools one side while the other becomes hot (very hot).
With no cooling off some sort the peltier will or die or just shutdown. So you have to cool the heated side so you're really moving the problem.

you could mount a heatsink of some sort on it and hook it up to the radiator.

But I think with the speed the air is taken in you really won't cool down the air much. You're also gonna load your alternator more because a peltier is often around 50 - 150 Watt.
Old 04-21-2005, 12:11 PM

what about alcohol injection? i know some cars spray in that stuff and it acts like using an intercooler. dont know much bout it tho
Old 04-21-2005, 12:35 PM

Alochol injection and water injection have both been used with some measure of success. However, I agree with Corkey Bell and A. Graham Bell regarding the use of either/both.

Basically, the Alochol or water displaces oxygen. Carrying oxygen to the engine is the primary purpose of the intake tract. They are NOT designed for carrying fluids dispursed in air or plain liquid.

Assuming you have 100% control over injectors and ignition timing, you'll make more power without them than with them. If you "need" them to make more power (to stop detonation), you did something wrong in the design of your engine system. You should "fix" the problem with an engine system design change rather than "fix" it with water/alochol spray.

If you are stock or even mainly stock you would see no gain/benefit from water injection or alochol injection. If you have a turbocharger, supercharger or insane high compression engine, you might have a "use" for them, however, I would STILL reccomend proper design in the first place so that they are not needed/necessary.

Assuming you're running 9.5:1 Compression and 35psi of boost. You'll probably have detonation issues... You could add water or alochol spray. The "right" way to do it would have been to use a lower compression motor to run that high of boost.

I'm Also a firm believer that you don't need to run 25+psi of boost to make power with a turbocharger or supercharger. Look at the formula 1 cars (when they were allowed turbochargers). They were making in excess of 1200 WHP on only 6.5psi. When they changed the rules and dropped the boost to 3.3psi, they still made in exess of 900 WHP.

So...boost is not the answer. Proper design is the answer.
Old 04-21-2005, 02:32 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

Methanol is normally only used on high power SC's because they don't have IC's.
Old 04-21-2005, 03:41 PM

very much agreed Random. Using either water injection or Alcohol injection is generally just a bandaid.

Now a water sprayer on an intercooler is a different matter.
Old 04-21-2005, 05:10 PM

better yet... NITROUS
B)
Old 04-21-2005, 07:43 PM
DTN

how about a air to air intercooler on a normal intake?
Old 04-21-2005, 07:46 PM

Pointless... where would you run the piping? You can't put an intercooler inline on the normal intake set up, and running it down to the front-mount would just create a massive restriction.

On turbochargers, intercoolers make you lose about 2-3PSI before it gets to the engine. Imagine the results when your basically running 1PSI N/A.
Old 04-21-2005, 07:47 PM
DTN

LOL, i see your point... Has anyone tried an air compressor?