Nitrous Oxide (NOS, Zex, NX Express, Venom, etc) This forum is for Nitrous Oxide discussions, and an area for folks to ask questions about Nitrous Oxide and related parts.

DENTED BOTTLE!

Old 05-12-2010, 10:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2002 Hyundai Accent
Default DENTED BOTTLE!

So I dropped off my bottle yesterday at a local place to have it refilled, picked it up a couple of hours later (had to run some errands and i was late so thats why I dropped it off). I ended up putting the bottle in my backseat and didnt worry about bolting it back in place in the hatch.

This morning I go out to bolt it back in, and I noticed theres a small little dent in the bottle towards the bottom with a black smudge on it. It almost looks like the bottle was dropped. I called the shop and raised hell with them. The manager started to deny it but after screaming at him for awhile and saying there wasnt a dent when I dropped it off to them, he finally admitted that one of his workers was careless and did it. They are offering to buy me a new bottle which hopefully will be in later in the week. My question is, will it still be safe to run with the dented bottle in my car? Im thinking I may use it as a backup or even possibly do a 2 bottle set up. But if it might be unsafe, I wont do it.
Old 05-12-2010, 10:38 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

shouldnt be a problem

unless tech goes nuts over it

even if the bottle opens up youll just end up laughing like a retard
Old 05-12-2010, 04:42 PM

Vehicle: 02/hyundai/accent

i wouldnt do it because if it opens up it could be like a match to a rocket and rip through your trunk and into the passenger compartment. they fill those suckers up pretty high in the psi range and it will go flying if the dent turns into a hole. but if you take the bottle to a firemans house they can test it under high pressure and they will for sure be able to deam it safe or not
Old 05-12-2010, 04:50 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

lol were not looking at like 10000 psi man

if its already AT high pressure, then its obviously not gonna burst....itd pop before it burst

im tellin you man you wont have a problem expecially if it didnt do anything already with the bottle filled

pressure doesnt increase in a bottle unless its heated

Old 05-12-2010, 09:44 PM

Vehicle: 02/hyundai/accent

im not saying that the pressure will increase but now you have a weak point in the bottle and you have no clue if it will ever burst at will. ive had it happen to me when i was working at my local paintball shop. we had a kid come in with a dented nitro tank for paintball. which are filled at the same pressure as a nitrous bottle. and about 10 minutes after it was filled the dent turned into a burst and the bottle went flying all over our filling cage. thank god no one was in the cage at the time because it put holes in the cement walls.

so to make things short. i would get the tank re hydro tested. since they will fill past the recommended psi and check for its safety and integrity. but hey you can what ever floats your boat. just pointing out my opinion.
Old 05-13-2010, 06:42 AM

Vehicle: 2002 Hyundai Accent

thanks guys. i'll take the bottle to the firestation down the street from my house and have them test it out. smile.gif