Nitrous Oxide (NOS, Zex, NX Express, Venom, etc) This forum is for Nitrous Oxide discussions, and an area for folks to ask questions about Nitrous Oxide and related parts.

Are blow down kits a waste of money?

Old 07-09-2010, 09:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 hyundai Tiburon
Default Are blow down kits a waste of money?

http://www.summitracing.com/search/Brand/N...s/?autoview=sku

Is this something that should be used on alot of nitrous kits or is there real no big safety concern if you run a kit without it?
Old 07-09-2010, 09:42 AM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

You share the same airspace as your nitrous bottle. You need it if the bottle gets too hot and pops off or if it gets damaged and crumpled. It is a good, cheap safety device. Don't leave home without it.
Old 07-09-2010, 10:39 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

I had my bottle in the car during Texas summers without one. Takes a lot of heat and pressure to burst a tank. Not saying that it won't happen, but if you take it out during the hot days, then you're fine without one.

Some NHRA tracks require them when the bottle is in the same air space as the driver. I race on one, but they never check to see if I have it.
Old 07-09-2010, 09:10 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Safety should be your number one concern. A manufacturer builds your car with safety in mind. Never sacrifice on functionality. It gives you and your passengers peace of mind. When people say your nitrous is dangerous, you can list the safety features.

Number one thing is to not have to ditch the car screaming NAaAWZ!!!
Run the lines outside the vehicle

A bit off Topic: reliability. Zex pulls fuel in accordance with bottle pressure.
You should find some way to verify your system as well. I was able to watch my stock narrow band sensor react the same way at wot with and without nitrous

Basically, you should be able to say my car is as safe and reliable as any car and I have nitrous as well.
Old 07-10-2010, 09:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1997 hyundai tiburon fx

No its not a waste of money. Alot of tracks require it. I use to work as a tech inspecter here at new england dragway and we do require to have it. Working on some hot days I have seen some bottles blow with the high pressure and if you are sharing the same air space you do not want to inhale it. It could kill you. Its not medical grade nitrous. Just fyi.
Old 07-10-2010, 01:05 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

It's not dangerous to inhale. It's impossible to inhale. Medical grade is pure. Automotive has sulfur added so you can't inhale it. I've inhaled it accidently and it irritates your nose, and lungs if it got there. But it won't cause harm....unless you're sadistic.