KFX Performance
Sponsor:    KFX Performance
R&D for your Hyundai, new parts development, Colt Cams, tuning Korean Cars for almost 10 years.
http://www.kfxperformance.com/

Engine Dampers? Kfx Performance...

Old 10-15-2008, 11:37 AM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Remove the stock engine ballancer. The bolts are the correct size. The extra bushings are for replacements and are weaker then the ones currently inside of your engine damper. I replaced mine, but I will replace them back soon. This thing works really simply. it's just an extra engine mount. You can take it apart with no harmful reprecussions. It's not a shock, it's a damper. No real need for a DIY.

What is the plastic you're talking about? Tighten it back up.
Old 10-15-2008, 02:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

A couple of your questions are already answered Zoned.

As for the rest, when you take it apart, you'll see how it goes backtogether really easily. I might do a DIY tonight or this weekend.
Old 10-15-2008, 07:43 PM

Vehicle: 2001 hyundai tiburon

Tom,

I would or could do a DIY but I haven't received my dampener kit yet. yeah i know, i'm a slacker but i am waiting on other things to get done first before i add parts that i have to take off later.

seriously guys, don't be fooled by the looks of it. when i took REDZ dampener apart to see how it worked it really suprised me how simple they really are. I mean, it is a moving part of some sorts, which in a way requires some kind of tuning, but nothing that requires nothing but to turn the gears in your head to make it work good.

BTW Tom...

I was sweating bullets trying to get yours to work , just didnt let you know. well, until now, lol. I still don't understand why the distance between your mounting areas is a 1/2" longer than jeremy's.
Old 10-15-2008, 08:29 PM

I think mine has another 1/2" space also for soem odd reason. I'll have to measure mine tomorrow for you.
Old 10-15-2008, 09:05 PM

if you can nj, post a pic of how you have yours setup. i'm really hoping that the extra 1/2" is only in the RD1's instead of being a random damn thing that seems to happen with our cars for some reason.

not hating on the RD1's guys, I just don't have one here to do R&D.
Old 10-16-2008, 05:21 PM

UrS0NvS - I did measure the length between the mounting holes on your brackets, it is 7 1/2" spacing on my car for some reason.

http://picasaweb.google.com/richardcullen3...894045008792546

Here is the link to the photo of my install. I have to link it as the board software doesn't like Google's picasa way of linking to photos.

If you need any more info, just hit me up either on here or aol.
Old 10-16-2008, 07:25 PM

switch it end for end and try to see if that cures your problems. the sliding end should be attached to your motor mount. I don't know if it will make a difference but that is how i always see them attached and that is how REDZ and Tibbytib's are positioned. you seem to have the same amount of thread sticking out as tibbytib's does.

so your is 7.5" also eh? i don't understand it. i check EVERY one of these brackets with my originals and the holes are spot on. makes me wonder if hyundai redesigned the motor mounts somewheres does the line and used old and new motor mounts whenever they need to install a motor.

or, maybe REDZ and my car are just weird,lol.
Old 10-16-2008, 08:04 PM

So you want me to flip my damper 180' like how mwood has his installed in the pics he posted up above? If so i'll give it a shot tomorrow or the weekend and at the same time remove the stock balancer as I also just reused it by mistake. You think that switching it around will make it work better? hmmm...

As for the spacing idk on that one. the extra 1/2" doesn't seem to affect it at all, you just have to make the one end piece longer by unscrewing it a little. I have previously checked all of my motor mounts and I don't believe that any of them are blown. Actually they look very good considering how hard I drive my tib sometimes.

I hope flipping it around improves the response of the damper some, as I'm going to try my hand at Englishtown's new road course this Sunday and I bet that a fully working and tuned damper will help me a little.
Old 10-16-2008, 08:25 PM

flip it around correct, think about it this way.

your dampener kit basically works like a shock absorber. the long end always goes towards the ground which is what it is trying to stabilize is the bumps coming from the road. same thing with the dampener. you are trying to lessen the amount of of twist or torque steer by adding one of these. the way you have it setup now the dampener i bet is working harder than it has to cause you are transferring the engery coming from the engine, through the hardened parts of teh dampener, then to the end that actually moves.
Old 10-17-2008, 02:38 AM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

wouldn't that be the heavier side of the damper, the side which would more accurately replace the engine balance which is removed from this installation?

Don't get me wrong, I have mine installed the way you said, but that's because the bearing is bad on the side that is installed on my engine. It keeps the noise from being transferred from the damper to the firewall and into my ears.

On my RD2, I had to adjust the position outwards quite a bit to get it to fit. Mine is one of the early model 2001 Tiburons. One of the first of the 2001 Tibs to roll off of the line.

Mine had to be adjusted out at least 1/2 inch longer then the way it came

It's possible this has something to do with motor mounts. I have a new F/R Rollstop mount and old side mounts.