Introduction Welcome To Hyundai Aftermarket! We are the worlds #1 most active and Premier Hyundai Forum and Website for Tiburon, Genesis, Veloster, Accent, Elantra, Santa Fe, Tucson, Equus, and Sonata owners! Post in here under the thread that was automatically created for you, and tell us a little about yourself!

What To Do About The Cat

Old 10-07-2005, 04:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I currently own a RD2, so if I change my exhaust headers how do i make my car legal again, because isn't my catalytic converter attached to my exhaust header?

I guess i should be adding that I'm a new tib owner and have been doing a lot of reading about how to make my car last a little longer while adding a little joy to owning it. This is my fourth vehicle but it's the first foreign car i've had the privalege of tinkering with. I don't know a lot about performance in cars just how to keep them running. This is also my first i4. The reason I bought the car was because of the way it looked and the great deal (the space in the engine compartment didn't hurt either-V6's and V8's=no room under the hood). The reason I came here is because the forum seems to actually talk about the cars and the advice seems sound.

Back to my original question: I'm looking to keep my car for a long time and i want to enjoy it while i have it. The first things i want to do are adjustments to the suspension, brakes, and open up the pathway for my car to breathe (intake, intake manifold, and a complete exhaust). That way the car is ready for more power if, and when, the need arises.
Old 10-07-2005, 04:10 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

You have 2 cats I dont know why probally because of cali. After your aftermarket header is on then you can have a high flow cat then the catback. Also get te cat to keep it sounding good good.
Old 10-07-2005, 04:24 PM

so i can buy both the headers and the catback exhaust from:

http://www.evofusionusa.com/TeamSR/Hyundai...on-catback.html
http://www.evofusionusa.com/TeamSR/Hyundai...ron-header.html

and only have to add one high flow cat to make everything copacetic or do i even have to add anything at all?

one would figure a 'catback exhaust' would have a cat
Old 10-07-2005, 04:57 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Hyundai Tiburon

^^no actualy a catback exhaust means its from the cat back so it doesnt have a cat
it bolts up behind the cat i.e. catback

and actually im not sure about how good evofusion is
no one here really has talked about that site sence i have been on here.
u would be better off getting kspec headers. fing02.gif
Old 10-07-2005, 04:58 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

We tend to avoid EvoFusion here, people have had problems in the past. Some people have no problems, others have long waits for parts.

The best bet for an exhaust is to find a custom exhaust shop around you. Drop it off one morning, catch a ride to wherever you need to go, and pick it up that evening. As for headers, a lot of people recommend:

kspec.com
importshark.com
Old 10-07-2005, 05:06 PM

I went to import shark for mine... it actually came with a high flow cat! fing02.gif
only took a couple of days to get it to me aswell.
Old 10-11-2005, 11:39 AM

thanks for the info. so all i have to do is fit a highflow cat (magnaflow sound like a good choice?) to a kspec header then take it to an exhaust shop. any one have any other suggestions on highflow cats?