Introduction Welcome To Hyundai Aftermarket! We are the worlds #1 most active and Premier Hyundai Forum and Website for Tiburon, Genesis, Veloster, Accent, Elantra, Santa Fe, Tucson, Equus, and Sonata owners! Post in here under the thread that was automatically created for you, and tell us a little about yourself!

Welcome To Hyundai Aftermarket.org: looklikekorean

Old 10-14-2013, 01:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: Hyundai
Default Welcome To Hyundai Aftermarket.org: looklikekorean

Hello looklikekorean,

Welcome to Hyundai Aftermarket.org. Please feel free to browse around and get to know others. Feel free to tell us a little about yourself. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask.

looklikekorean joined on the 14 October 2013 - 02:12 PM.

View looklikekorean's Profile
Old 10-14-2013, 02:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Accent

Originally Posted by Hyundai News Bot
Hello looklikekorean,

Welcome to Hyundai Aftermarket.org. Please feel free to browse around and get to know others. Feel free to tell us a little about yourself. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask.

looklikekorean joined on the 14 October 2013 - 02:12 PM.

View looklikekorean's Profile

Hey Everyone,

I just bought a metallic brown 2001 Hyundai Accent GS with a 1.6L motor two months ago. Spent $1800.00 for the car via Craig's List from a nice guy who used to live in the North Shore area. The motor made unusual noise which I thought was the water pump wearing out when I bought the car. I was wrong. It turned out it was timing belt that was rattling. I found out the hard way when I took my car to a military hobby shop to fix the noise. About a quarter mile away from the shop the engine stopped and didn't restart. Had it towed into the hobby shop, opened the timing belt cover, and found the timing belt broke since it was missing from the camshaft gear. The timing belt was wrapped around the crankshaft gear and the timing cover was cracked. From looking at the condition of the shredded timing belt and other belts, the car was never serviced. It had over 121,000 miles on it. The 2nd cylinder didn't have any compression; thus, I had to access the valves by removing the cylinder head and other part associated -- intake and exhaust manifolds. Only the intake valves were bent. I was told I was lucky because the people working at the shop said they saw 100% of the valves bend or break when the timing belt gave away. Perhaps it was because I was driving under 25 mph when it happened. Anyhow, I found this forum while researching ways to remove and replace the valve keepers. I was fortunate to learn about the tool Lisle Valve Keeper Remover & Installer 36200 which just arrived. This Thursday I'll return to the shop to hopefully finish reassemble the valves and the rest of the engine. I consider myself a "Backyard Brokanic" since I never receive any formal training in working with cars. Wish me luck getting it done. I'm looking forward in finding more tips and info to maintain and fix my Accent.

Yours truly,

looklikekorean