Introduction Welcome To Hyundai Aftermarket! We are the worlds #1 most active and Premier Hyundai Forum and Website for Tiburon, Genesis, Veloster, Accent, Elantra, Santa Fe, Tucson, Equus, and Sonata owners! Post in here under the thread that was automatically created for you, and tell us a little about yourself!

Welcome To Hyundai Aftermarket.org: Jane

Old 09-03-2012, 12:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: Hyundai
Default Welcome To Hyundai Aftermarket.org: Jane

Hello Jane,

Welcome to Hyundai Aftermarket.org. Please feel free to browse around and get to know others. Feel free to tell us a little about yourself. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Jane joined on the 03 September 2012 - 01:09 AM.

View Jane's Profile
Old 09-03-2012, 12:24 AM

Vehicle: 2006 hyundai tucson

Please excuse my ignorance but I don't know much about the newer vehicles.

I inherited a 2006 Hyundai Tucson GL V6 front drive from my brother, who recently passed away.

As the transmission had problems, an aftermarket, non-Hyundai transmission was installed before I received it.

I need to know if installing an aftermarket transmission will damage any parts...should I go to a Hyundai dealership and get a Hyundai transmission installed?

Would that be expensive? Approximately how much it would cost to replace this transmission with a Hyundai Tucson type transmission?

I really appreciate any assistance/information I can get...Thanks!
Old 09-03-2012, 10:15 AM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Sorry about your brother, and welcome to Hyundai Aftermarket

If the transmission was a Kia it is possibly the very same part that came on the Hyundai. There are not very many companies making "aftermarket" transmissions for Hyundais. If you can find out what model number or part number was installed we could answer your question better.
Old 09-03-2012, 10:37 AM

Vehicle: 2006 hyundai tucson

Originally Posted by Stocker
Sorry about your brother, and welcome to Hyundai Aftermarket

If the transmission was a Kia it is possibly the very same part that came on the Hyundai. There are not very many companies making "aftermarket" transmissions for Hyundais. If you can find out what model number or part number was installed we could answer your question better.

Thank you for your reply and sympathy. I talked to my brother twice the week before he left and he was very happy; he passed away suddenly without evidence of pain. So I guess going happy, rapidly without pain is the best way to go.

...I am trying to find out what exactly was installed, hopefully they will email me the info soon.
Old 09-03-2012, 03:44 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

No it should be fine. Chances are that the transmission is not aftermarket. It is more likely that it is a hyundi transmission that was rebuilt or re-manufactured by an aftermarket company, it would then be sold as an aftermarket re-manufactured transmission.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:14 AM

Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

Transmissions are so cross-platform/make today that its rarely even matters.

EX: The Transmission from the B16 Nissan Sentras is the same used in the US spec Tib SE and Euro spec Kia Ceed. Save for bell housing an some casing mods, it's basically the same.

Transmissions get reused a lot because in many cases (not all) they are designed by an outside firm and fit to the application. An "aftermarket" is probably just remanufactured using like parts from different cars. Gear ratios could change but that wont affect fitment.