Introduction Welcome To Hyundai Aftermarket! We are the worlds #1 most active and Premier Hyundai Forum and Website for Tiburon, Genesis, Veloster, Accent, Elantra, Santa Fe, Tucson, Equus, and Sonata owners! Post in here under the thread that was automatically created for you, and tell us a little about yourself!

Welcome To The Forums: RD2 G6BA

Old 03-14-2008, 11:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like to welcome a new member to our community!

Member Name: RD2 G6BA
Registered on: Mar 14 2008, 10:27 AM
Profile: http://www.rdtiburon.com/index.php?showuser=8884

RD2 G6BA,
Welcome To RDTiburon.com. Please feel free to look around and post get to know others! Remember, you will not be able to post anywhere in the forums until you reply to this topic.

Please be sure to read the site rules completely. Here are a couple more items specifically for new users.
1. You will not be able to post anywhere in the forum until you complete your introduction, you can do that by replying to this post.
2. We do ask that you fill out your profile completely, to include your location, and year model of your Tiburon if you have one.

Here is a SAMPLE STANDARD FORMAT INTRODUCTION POST.

Hi, my name is ____.

I'm from ______.

I drive a ______ _____.

I found these forums through _____ _____ __ __ _ _____ _ ______ _________________________ _ ___.

I've done the following mods to my car.

__
____
_
_____

It's good to meet you all and I hope to learn from you!
Old 03-14-2008, 05:05 PM

Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

Hello everyone, my name is Phil

I live in Atlanta, GA.

I drive a 2001 Hyundai Tiburon Turbulence (RD2), and a 1983 Porsche 944.

I found these forums through the all-mighty Google. I was looking for info regarding the V6 swap.

I've done the following mods to my car.

Diddly
&
Squat

Of course I've owned it less than 72 hours..... So yeah. It was bough to replace the 2007 Accent I bought last year. Poor little Chubby. He was squished by an evil Cadillac with an apparent thirst for import blood. After only 8 months of use he was taken from me through the evils of Geico and thrust me into the pursuit for a daily driver again. A family friend was selling a beautiful red RD2 for 6k and was willing to cut $500 of the price for me. I have always loved the look of the RD's but being a kid's car I was skeptical that the old girl was still up to par. Much to my shock she was in super condition! In fact the only blemish on the entirety of the vehicle at all was a small smudge on the rear driver-side seat. I was sold, but having previously test driven a GK1 I was a little taken back that the power from the 2.0 was seemingly slim. The real power doesn't kick in unlit around 3000 RPMs and the automatic tranny, in comparison to the SE's 6-speed, seemed more like it belonged to Skoda than Tibby. But that’s what mods are for right?
Just today as I was calling around to salvage shops I came across a complete g6ba GK1 engine w/ ECU for a mere $700!! And being that this is the mighty GK engine that I am used to I was astounded! I happened along this forum when Google searching this swap thinking it has been done dozens of times. Reading what others here have written about its difficulty makes me that much more intrigued. So yes, I am just another noob here with the aspirations of dropping a G6BA into my RD2, not only that but as a long term goal I want to couple this engine with an Xtrac 6-speed sequential transmission. Yes it'll take a while, in the duration I have my other toy as well. But this is a goal I will not waiver from.

It's good to meet you all and I hope I can learn a lot from you all!
It's gonna be a fun ride.
Old 03-14-2008, 05:20 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Well thats going to be a fun little project. Keep in mind the weight of that motor also.

I dont think people do that to much. In fact I know a lot of V6 Tib guys wishing they had the 4 cylinder.

I think the first thing you may want to look into is a manual trasmission swap. Then think about keeping the i4 and possibly going turbo or something. I think that would satisfy the need for a little more power easier.

Welcome though, post some pics of the rd2
Old 03-14-2008, 05:33 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome to the site.

I've been thinking about performing a Diddly conversion on my Tib and I see that you have already completed not only the Diddly, but also the high performance Squat mod. Can you recommend any good brands? lmao.gif

A seat stain should not be hard to get out, or replace.

Do you have a manual or automatic? The automatic tiburons are slow. If you have a automatic, the best upgrade is a manual swap.
Old 03-14-2008, 07:15 PM

Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

The squat mod was a DIY job. But for just $42.95 I can send you all of the components necessary.
I prefer small, unmarked bills.

More on topic:
I haven't gotten actual figures on the weight of the 2.0 vs. the V6, but could the weight disruption not be offset by replacing some of the body molding with Carbon Fibre equivalents? I have done this with a few other cars prior. Then again added weight in the front where the majority of the grip is wouldn't be detrimental would it?
As for the tranny -
I stated above the manual swap is tempting, but for the price of a few worn out clutches and the 6-speed I believe I can find a decent sequential unit. inevitably I want an Xtrac but thats far from today's reality. It will use the same console I have now with just the replacement of the shift mechanism. Besides, its unique. Who else has a sequential in their tibby?
Old 03-14-2008, 11:21 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The real power is gained by torque slipping the clutch. I don't think a sequential shifter can do that. Automatic vehicles are good for shifting evenly and expectedly, but for power you really want a clutch.
Old 03-14-2008, 11:46 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Welcome.

As you look around the site, you'll see many members have brought it up before, but the 2.7L is just a dog. Doing ALL of that work, for an extra 30HP?

No thanks.

If you REALLY want to swap another engine into there, do the 3.5L v6, lots of the Koreans swap that into their GK's, it's a great engine.
Old 03-15-2008, 12:34 AM

Vehicle: 2004 Volkswagen Jetta GLI

welcome
Old 03-15-2008, 07:22 AM

Vehicle: 2000 tiburon

welcome man, if i were you i would throw a beta2 engine in there and have a realiable but quick car. with mods in my sig i'm just as fast a stock 5sp v6. and i have more top end too