Introduction Welcome To Hyundai Aftermarket! We are the worlds #1 most active and Premier Hyundai Forum and Website for Tiburon, Genesis, Veloster, Accent, Elantra, Santa Fe, Tucson, Equus, and Sonata owners! Post in here under the thread that was automatically created for you, and tell us a little about yourself!

Welcome To The Forums: elitetuning

Old 01-14-2009, 10:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like to welcome a new member to our community!

Member Name: elitetuning
Registered on: Jan 14 2009, 12:22 PM
Profile: http://www.rdtiburon.com/index.php?showuser=9487

elitetuning,
Welcome To RDTiburon.com. Please feel free to look around and post get to know others! Remember, you will not be able to post anywhere in the forums until you reply to this topic.

Please be sure to read the site rules completely. Here are a couple more items specifically for new users.
1. You will not be able to post anywhere in the forum until you complete your introduction, you can do that by replying to this post.
2. We do ask that you fill out your profile completely, to include your location, and year model of your Tiburon if you have one.

Here is a SAMPLE STANDARD FORMAT INTRODUCTION POST.

Hi, my name is ____.

I'm from ______.

I drive a ______ _____.

I found these forums through _____ _____ __ __ _ _____ _ ______ _________________________ _ ___.

I've done the following mods to my car.

__
____
_
_____

It's good to meet you all and I hope to learn from you!
Old 01-15-2009, 10:15 AM

hey everyone my name is luc
Just came on here to find some information about turboing my gf's tiburon. I have some more experience with it all so i decided to do some searching on here and see what i could find..but when i ran out of relevant posts i figured i should sign up so i could ask some questions i couldn't find answers to!

ohh i am from canada...what other blanks have i forgotten...

I don't drive a tiburon, but i drive a 4 door turbo civic ( be nice tiburon owners smile.gif )
I guess i could list a bit about it since its relevent to my experience
Last year my setup was
gt28r dual bb
spearco IC
edelbrock cast manifold, 2.5" downpipe.
tial bov,
edelbrock intake manifold
kteller 3" mandrel bent exhaust, with magnaflow 3" muffler
turboxs dual stage boost controller
RC 440cc injectors
ACT Heavy duty clutch, with street disc
Tuned by me on Ectune
With this setup i ran a 13.2 @105mph,
this was done on a modest tune and the stock block (non vtec 1.6 liter SOHC), with stock pistons and rods at 12psi, where i had 215whp, 187wtq

After that i built the block with YCP 75.5mm pistons, and eagle h beams rods and never really got to tune the car right before the car went away for the winter.

So this year..my setup has changed a bit.
i have the gt3076r 0.63ar exhaust housing with vband
3" spoolin performance downpipe vbanded
spoolin ramhorn manifold, and dumptube
tial 38mm wastegate
tial 50mm bov
aluminum half rad, and slim fan
RC 750cc injectors
New 2.5" charge piping, undecided on intercooler yet probably 20x9x3", or a backdoor setup with the BOV on the hotside
B&R catch can with AN fittings
ACT xtreme pressure plate with 6 puck sprung clutch
vtec head conversion with KMS valve springs and titanium retainers
Ectune and Ectune electronic boost control solenoid, antilag, launch control, full throttle shift +antilag etc.

Umm wow ..yeah thats alot..anyways the goal this year is to simply beat my last track time, however if i can get my fingers on some race gas, i'd like to hi a mid to high 11 second pass at close to 400whp.

Anyways i found this forum through my girlfriend "~tibchic~" i think her name is on here maybe? We need to turbocharge her car, and i just need to find a few things out
i'll be searching and posting to find answers as we go.
1.Wheel horsepower capability on her stock 2.2l block, no changing rods or pistons, or headgasket.
2.stock injector size
3.What engine management most people use
4.Injector impedence, high or low
and a few others

I assume since her compression is quite high its generally not very safe to put too much boost to the engine as it sits, unless you have some control over the timing advance.
What i would like to do is use megasquirt on her car, and convert it to MAP. Put some injectors in it, and tune away. However i have been reading about some people using SMT6, halltech(sp?) injector drivers for tertiary injectors, and a program called maftrburner?
Ideally i'd like to steer away from AFC's and the like, and go with something i can tune with a laptop. So anyways now that i wrote a short story can i post now lmao.gif

oh and here is a picture, i realize its not anyones cup of tea on here, but i shall post anyways.
I've seen some beautiful machines on this site in the ROTM threads my gf shows me, so hopefully as HP freaks you guys can appreciate at least that portion of the car smile.gif

you may recognize this car

and a picture before the car went away, with the lenso's and MH slicks on
Old 01-15-2009, 10:22 AM
Banned

welcome to the site..

FYI.. the motor is 2.0L not 2.2L.. on a good condition, un-opened motor, they are good for around 300whp with the right tuning.. tuning IS they key.

i sell turbo kits on here. its a pretty much full kit, with a DIY IC kit (comes with all pipes/couplers needed to route piping anyway you like) (prices will be -200$ than list)

theres a few options to choose from if your interested in taking a look.. range from basic 2400-2500$ kit to extreme 5000$+ kits
Old 01-15-2009, 10:32 AM

Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon SE

He knows its a 2.0.. musta been a typo! smile.gif

Anyways.. im not looking for a 'kit'... if i go ahead with this it will be because i have a friend who is willing to give me a turbo from his skyline.. and another friend who can build me a manifold.. so thats kinda my starting point.. those 2 major things are covered..

Its the engine management stuff we really have to look into now!
Old 01-15-2009, 10:37 AM
Banned

what size turbo from the skyline?
Old 01-15-2009, 10:47 AM

Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon SE

I think its from an RB20 ?(luc would know this) T28 ?
Old 01-15-2009, 10:53 AM

Vehicle: 05 Subaru WRX

Nice time out of the sohc engine! I would like to know what you run with your new setup, once you get it to the track. You dont need race gas, if you have e85 in your area. E85 runs a minumum of 105 octane and is better on your engine than race gas.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:58 AM

haha my bad...i knew its a 2.0, i came back here to edit that after i thought i typo'd it, and you guys already caught it haha.

Yes the turbo is the t28, i don't know any other specs on it for example trim or ar. but i assume they are quite small. One thing i dont like is the ceramic turbine...but what can you do.

So far, we're not worried about parts so to speak..
im just trying to figure out the best way to do the tuning. Everythingelse is simple enough for us to source.

I was quite impressed after reading one thread in the performance section. I knew these stock blocks would be able to handle 300whp pending a good safe tune.

The b16 engine in some honda also has over 10:1 compression, and those guys run 350-400 on uncracked engines.

But yeah i need to find more about the halltech, smt-6, extra injectors, and megasquirt for the tib.

oh..and we can only get 91 octane at the pumps here...i wish we had e85 02.gif

hmm, it appears you cant edit posts here after someone posts after you?
well i meant the intercooler is 30x9x3 not 20x9x3
Old 01-15-2009, 11:13 AM
Banned

i would go with a AEM F/IC before i would bother with any of that other stuff.

turbo seems decent, specially if its given to you

something around the size of a super 60 would be better off if you were looking at more power on the stock motor while not needing to build anything up.

the t28 will run out of breath a bit sooner than a super 60 would.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:23 AM

ill look into the AEM F/IC
since i have no idea what that is haha

i know about the AEM EMS, which is a full standalone...that costs about 1200$ haha..thats not gonna happen.

We have three of the rb20 turbos... so its kind of a no brainer to try them at first. Shes not looking for crazy power to start...first of all eher clutch is going to die...im fairly certain lol

its just that the wastegate actuator arm on the turbo is set for 11lbs at stock boost setting and you cant lower it....

unless i did something sketchy like thread the rod farther and tried that..but im not entirely sure thats a good idea...thats what i wanted to know how much whp the engine was good for so i could look at the compressor map and do some baseline calculations to figure out where 11 psi puts her for power.