Introduction Welcome To Hyundai Aftermarket! We are the worlds #1 most active and Premier Hyundai Forum and Website for Tiburon, Genesis, Veloster, Accent, Elantra, Santa Fe, Tucson, Equus, and Sonata owners! Post in here under the thread that was automatically created for you, and tell us a little about yourself!

Welcome To The Forums: e_c_unit

Old 10-27-2008, 05:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like to welcome a new member to our community!

Member Name: e_c_unit
Registered on: Oct 27 2008, 04:49 PM
Profile: http://www.rdtiburon.com/index.php?showuser=9388

e_c_unit,
Welcome To RDTiburon.com. Please feel free to look around and post get to know others! Remember, you will not be able to post anywhere in the forums until you reply to this topic.

Please be sure to read the site rules completely. Here are a couple more items specifically for new users.
1. You will not be able to post anywhere in the forum until you complete your introduction, you can do that by replying to this post.
2. We do ask that you fill out your profile completely, to include your location, and year model of your Tiburon if you have one.

Here is a SAMPLE STANDARD FORMAT INTRODUCTION POST.

Hi, my name is ____.

I'm from ______.

I drive a ______ _____.

I found these forums through _____ _____ __ __ _ _____ _ ______ _________________________ _ ___.

I've done the following mods to my car.

__
____
_
_____

It's good to meet you all and I hope to learn from you!
Old 10-27-2008, 07:05 PM

Hey...

My name's Tommy. I bought a red 2001 std. shift with the bigger engine from my sister-in-law a little over a year ago. She'd had it under cover in her backyard for three years. When I took it for a test drive the odometer read just over 24k miles. I've put quite a few more on it since then.

I teach a couple of clsses part time at JMU, a big Uni in a small town in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia. I'm a designer and developer of educational multimedia software too. And I'm a photographer and an artist.

Right now I'm wearing the same Vanson motorcycle jacket bought from a friend just a few weeks before I was married in 1982. It still fits great and slips into the stock Tiburon leather seats quite nicely.

I just got back from a quicky up Skyline Drive down to Waynesboro and onto I64 West. If you know 64 you know it comes down off Afton Mountain at a pretty steep grade. It doesn't get much action from Troopers because it must be awefully dangerous to pull anyone over. So it's fast. I listen to a rip of Mario Cart music when I'm driving this road because of all the commercial truck traffic. Mario helps me concentrate and I still love playing the old game. It's a fact computer games help keep your eye-hand coordination up even when you're old enough to be getting AARP junk mail like I do.

Oh speaking of music I have to brag about my Tib's favorite high note which is C and she'd like to sing it more often but Virginia has strict laws discouraging it. The fine would be far more than the car's worth and I'd be teaching my classes on-line from the State Hotel in Richmond. But I'm amazed how eazily she hits this note with just a four cylinder engine. She seems as fast as the four cylinder bikes I used to ride.

I'd never considered buying a Tiburon let alone a Hyundai before last year. This was a fluke and a chance to get a cheap reliable car unloaded by a close relative. Keep in mind as a family man I've been driving safe and economical sedans for over 25 years. But before that I was a scooter enthusiast. Fast bikes were my drug of choice starting in the early 70's.

Funny thing is I wasn't impressed with this car at first. In fact I told my wife on a test drive it was best to keep the r's around 4k+ while merging onto I81; the suicidal conduit through our town and University. BTW my wife is the responsible member of our partnership. She's a Psychologist and full time professor/graduate program coordinator at JMU.

Anyhow it wasn't long before I learned about the Tiburon's ECU. I'm a programmer and game designer so I get the concept of an adaptive system. Reboot and start driving like I'm on a bike and she'll learn how to breathe again. That was the advice I got anyway. I think it worked. All I know is despite her slugishness at times she likes to play tag with her peers on the fine mountain roads above the Shenandoah Valley and I'm happy to let her do exactly as she pleases.

Tom W.
Old 10-27-2008, 07:13 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Wow, what a long introduction post mang. It was elegantly written too. Oh, to have a 24,000 mile Tiburon again. I would like to know if you plan on modifying her. Cold Air Intakes are the greatest first mod.

How did you find the site? What brings you here?
Old 10-27-2008, 07:24 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Tuscani Tiburon

Welcome to the site man. post up some pics.
Old 10-27-2008, 10:54 PM

I found this site when I googled [tiburon ecu]. And thanx for the good words. I'm glad to join up though it's unusual for me. I'm a lurker at heart. But sometimes I'm compelled by things bigger than my privacy concerns. That's definitely not a criticism BTW just a fact. We can't help who we are or so I tell my students.

I'm writing lengthy posts now to make up for lost time. I'm guessing what you might like to know about me, my capabilities with cars, my motives, etc. I figure it saves time with a few fat intro posts before things slim down to typical conversation once we know each other.

Probably like most of you all I want is more. More power to start with. But headers are over the top for now not to mention I hear they don't do that much. So yeah cold air intakes are maybe one ticket? That's nice and simple and gets me under the hood again. Anything else in the realm of bolt-on? When I was in high school tearing down a 383 V8 was an earn-as-you-learn project they were that simple. It's been a while since then and just looking at the valve covers of my Tiburon intimidates me.

I'm also in the camp where a muddy car puts you in with the locals and the Sherriff ignores you. Anything flashy and you're asking for trouble if you drive the way I do looking for trout streams or a good landscape to shoot. Plenty of people drive fast in the mountains here and in nearby West Virginia. It's not an area where people fear the law. But tricked out cars make you a target if for no other reason than you look like you've got money where most people don't.

So if I can make my Tiburon a better performer and keep her stock appearance then everyone gets along. That's why the ECU interests me so much. If it's machine language in EPROMs with no higher level interface then it's outside my capability. I found some wiring diagrams for it but what I want is a way to talk to it directly. I'll bet someone's written/compiled a runtime something in C or even JAVA that let's you mess with the ECU by interpreting its instruction set. Nothing fancy just a serial cable to the unit from a laptop and something like PARAMETER = X. (I'll get a practice ECU at a junkyard.)

I've scanned the posts about megasquirt(?!) but wasn't sure if there's anything there for the taking. And with what I've read about reprogrammers you're stuck with a relatively small set of custom programs to load up and try out. I have to admit what I don't know about these devices or any other technique would fill a stadium so I guess like a lot of people who post for the first time I'm trying to shortcut the learning curve.

Tom W.
Old 10-28-2008, 04:44 AM
DTN

Well, for now we're limited to speculative reasoning and output observation. The ECU remains a mysterious black box on a planning phase board. We know what inputs/outputs it has and what they do. We can modify the values before they go in or after they come out, but the ECU itself has not been programmed. I'm sure everyone on here would love to be able to reprogram the ECU, but for now we're limited to piggyback systems or full ECU replacements. From what I understand, there is an encryption password for removing or inserting data to the ECU, and it requires specialized eeprom R/Ws. If you have any information about the ECU or reprogramming it, it would be great.
Old 10-28-2008, 08:50 AM
Banned

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>but the ECU itself has not been programmed.</div>

except the fact bluespanishshark's engine management is a flashed stock ECU.. so his is programmed..

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>But headers are over the top for now not to mention I hear they don't do that much.</div>

the KFX header alone adds 8whp and 8ft.lbs. on stock catback.

an AEM CAI clone on ebay runs about 40-60$ and adds a good amount of power as well as a nice sound.

if your wanting 'more' as in power, there are a TON of things that are quite simple to do, there are some that are a bit more time consuming and you have to get dirty. depends on your budget, how much power you want, and how involved you want to get in squeezing the power out of the car.

welcome to the site.. enjoy your stay.. i sold my tiburon 8 months ago and im still here.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:24 AM
DTN

I believe the "flash" you are talking about is simply cutting a RPM wire in the ECU. If it were more then that, we'd probly have more then the ability to just raise the rev limiter.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:01 AM
Banned

no... wrong...

the entire ECU has been programmed with modified timing and fuel maps for his boost setup.
Old 10-28-2008, 02:36 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Yup, he's even posted about it a few times in the past. Hell, it's in his SIG.