Introduction Welcome To Hyundai Aftermarket! We are the worlds #1 most active and Premier Hyundai Forum and Website for Tiburon, Genesis, Veloster, Accent, Elantra, Santa Fe, Tucson, Equus, and Sonata owners! Post in here under the thread that was automatically created for you, and tell us a little about yourself!

Upgrade Package Ideas For Rd... Any Good ?

Old 03-11-2006, 10:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, new to forum. I did some research over at Newtiburon.com (before I realized they didn't deal with the RD version and came over here) and put together the following list of mods/upgrades I'm considering for my stock, 20K mile 98 Tib with Sport package:

Injen SRI (worried about flooding with CAI)
Borla catback/exhaust (including silencer)
4-1 headers
Front and rear strut tower bars
Rear sway bar
TMW short throw shifter

Other things I am less certain about:

some type of coilovers to replace current springs/shocks
Front sway bar

Goals:
- make handling more neutral (less understeer), less body roll/dive without making ride harsher than it already is - in fact hoping I can make the ride a little better in terms of vibration etc.
- 20hp/15 torque gains
- sweeter noises (but not a lot louder than stock)

I'd really appreciate any comments/additions re my list here from experienced Tib modders....

Thanks,

Devon
Old 03-11-2006, 10:54 AM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

get a AEM CAI.
Old 03-11-2006, 10:54 AM

do not get an sri or wai they're terrible, best bet is aem cai. best one for the rd series
last time i checked borla doesnt make a catback for us lol
never heard of tmw either.
strut bars and sway bars will help handeling alot
to get 20 whp. youll need header,hi flow,catback,cai,probably airram and bbtb
Old 03-11-2006, 04:34 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Devon @ Mar 11 2006, 10:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Injen SRI (worried about flooding with CAI)
Borla catback/exhaust (including silencer)
4-1 headers
Front and rear strut tower bars
Rear sway bar
TMW short throw shifter</div>

Injen's WAI sucks (It's not a SRI, or is it a CAI), get the AEM and put a bypass on it if you are worried about water. OR, even a better idea, don't drive through a foot and a half of water.

Borla doesn't make a exhaust for us.

4/1 Headers, ehh, they are allright but good luck finding a good set. I'd get the Maintec GT Headers or the ones Flyryde is making.

Strut bars are very important and look good.

Front & Rear sway bars.

TMW doesn't make a short shifter for us. Doesn't matter if they have it labeled for us, if you can't get a picture of the actual product, they don't make it.

I just checked their website, they only make 2003 and up Tiburons.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>some type of coilovers to replace current springs/shocks</div>

Ehh, not a bad idea but I'd look at a cheaper answer for now that you can sell if it's not enough. Like the famous KYBGR2 strut / Eibach Spring combo.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Front sway bar</div>

Does a LOT more than the rear will.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Devon</div>

If you look to the left of your posts bro, you'll see that we see your name on every post. No need to type it.
Old 03-11-2006, 04:47 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Save yourself a good verbal thrashing and use the Search function at the top of the page. You will be surprised how much useful info you'll find w/o having to post a question. Not being a dick, but you're new to the site and some of our "seasoned" members get their panties inabunch when they have to answer the same question for the 1,000,000th time. With that being said, you're on the right path just on the wrong train. Intake, header and exhaust are typically the "grounds fees" for modding. You might be copying other folks in the Hyundai community by installing the same products as what they are using, but trust me there are several reasons why we all have similar setups. The biggest reason is that we learn from other peoples experiences/mistakes.
Welcome smile.gif
Old 03-12-2006, 01:44 AM

As mentioned in my first post, I got my modding ideas from a forum for current-gen Tibs, so I'm not surprised some things made for them are unfortunately not available to us.

I have already spent a few hours wading through the postings on these topics, and on virtually all of the potential mods (AEM CAI excepted) there is no consensus to speak of - different folks have different thoughts and often conflicting advice on the value of headers, the best catback, the relative performance benefits of various mods, yadda yadda.... It might be worth considering a Beginner's Mods FAQ with consensus opinions. This forum has hundreds of posts that get hit on each of these search terms and expecting a new member to wade through them all is a little unrealistic. The other issue I have is being in Canada certain parts are just not going to be easy to get, and may not even be workable ( I saw a post indicating Candian RDs only have one cat versus 2 for US cars).

Anyway, I appreciate your advice redzman and others. On the sig issue, I am a member of several other auto forums where some (a minority, it's true) choose to actually sign off on their postings - that no one does it here is atypical.
Old 03-12-2006, 07:22 AM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Devon @ Mar 11 2006, 12:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>- make handling more neutral (less understeer), less body roll/dive without making ride harsher than it already is - in fact hoping I can make the ride a little better in terms of vibration etc.
- 20hp/15 torque gains
- sweeter noises (but not a lot louder than stock)</div>

Its going to be louder than stock to get 20 hp without nitrous. Ure going to have a harsher ride, I can feel the lines that are painted in the road if theyre a few coats.
Old 03-12-2006, 07:26 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

i justed wanted to add that injen dynoed .2 hp higher than aem but the AEM peaks a few hundred rpm sooner... so its about the same tongue.gif nana.gif if it came down to gettin a injen for cheap like i did (got mine for 45 bux shipped just had to buy a filter so about 75 bux for a brand new injen) and spending 150 for a aem you do the math....

it was all dynoed on a dynojet motor by i8acobra way back when im tryin to find a dyno sheet on hp.com...