Introduction Welcome To Hyundai Aftermarket! We are the worlds #1 most active and Premier Hyundai Forum and Website for Tiburon, Genesis, Veloster, Accent, Elantra, Santa Fe, Tucson, Equus, and Sonata owners! Post in here under the thread that was automatically created for you, and tell us a little about yourself!

Tail light installation...

Old 12-24-2004, 11:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Alaskan Humour

Yeah, it's not Christmas morning yet, but I found out my mom bought me the set of tail lights I've been drooling over ever since I got my Tib.

She bought them off of ebay because I know this seller is legit (friends bought shit from them before).

Here is the auction:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...item=7937824832

Just a question. I've never really done any mods. Should I get these professionally installed by bringing them to a shop, or will it be pretty simple to do? My boyfriend worked at Goodyear and now works in construction, plus he has fixed up his car a good amount. You think he and I could install these new tail lights, or should I pay some professional guy to do it for me?

If you say my boyfriend and I should do it, where-about would I go to find some sort of tutorial just so we don't mess up? I figured it's just a matter of matching wires or something, but I'd just like to be 100% sure. Maybe even some of you amazingly intelligent people can just give me a 1-2-3 explanation.

Thanks in advance, and happy holidays!
Old 12-24-2004, 11:47 PM

Default Re: Happy Holidays

You can do the tailights yourself...very easy just take out the stock ones and reverse the process..just make sure you put a little sealant around the edges when you iput them in to prevent moisture from entering.
Old 12-24-2004, 11:51 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

I've got some pics from when I did mine last year, if you want, I can try to write up a short DIY for it.

It's pretty simple though, like 3 bolts.
Old 12-24-2004, 11:52 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ
Default Re: Tail light installation...

do it yourself!! 20 minutes max I would say

Open your hatch. Look inside right behind where the taillights are. There is a panel that you've probably never noticed before. Use a phillips head screwdriver and remove the 2 or 3 screws to take that panel off. You will then see the back of your taillights.

Twist the bulbs out of the old taillights, remember which bulbs are reverse, turn, brake, etc.

I believe there are 4 nuts you will have to remove to get the taillight off. Just twist those 4 nuts off and the taillights should pop out.
Reverse the process, and use the same nuts to hold your new taillights on. The screws are part of the tail light assembly and won't come out.

it's very simple, if your boyfriend can't do it, then I recommend you get a new boyfriend. You should be able to do it yourself, if you're willing to spend 15-20 minutes on your car. Seriously though, it should take less than 10 minutes to do. No wires to mess with, just twist the bulbs and they'll come out of the tail lights, then just twist them back in to the proper location
Old 12-24-2004, 11:55 PM

Default Re: The Person Above You

Oh wow, that sounds really simple. Haha, I'm going to make him put the new lights in before I give him his Christmas gifts. wink1.gif

Thanks alot, guys!
Old 12-24-2004, 11:55 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ
Default Re: Tail light installation...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CyberShark)</div><div class='quotemain'>You can do the tailights yourself...very easy just take out the stock ones and reverse the process..just make sure you put a little sealant around the edges when you iput them in to prevent moisture from entering.</div> sealant? where? My tail lights didn't require any. I just popped the old out and popped the new in. Shouldn't require any sealant, but then again, it depends on the quality of the tail lights.

Sorry Redz, I think I just wrote up the DIY for it oops.gif I went and looked at my stock taillights in the other room, and there are 4 bolts in them, which I'm pretty sure were just held on by small nuts
Old 12-25-2004, 12:00 AM

I'll put them in and see how they hold up before I put sealant on. I'm a cheap bastard and I don't like buying things I don't need, lol.
Old 12-25-2004, 12:47 AM

Default Re: FS: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

When I first got my tailights, 4yrs ago (more or less), someone complained about getting moisture/water in the tailights..(was it TeamSR??) so I put sealant around it just in case...hey, that was 4yrs ago..if you don't want to put it, that's fine. I've been telling people to put sealant out of habit ever since.
Old 12-25-2004, 01:46 AM

Default Re: greddy emanage

Well how much is this sealant, and why would you need if if the stock lights don't seem to have it? And why does it matter if moisture gets in there?
Old 12-25-2004, 07:09 AM

Default Re: Winter Wonderland pics

I tell you what, put in the tailights first, if you ever have problems with moisture (and I hope you don't) then you can put sealant later..like Majik said, there's different quality of tailights out there.