Introduction Welcome To Hyundai Aftermarket! We are the worlds #1 most active and Premier Hyundai Forum and Website for Tiburon, Genesis, Veloster, Accent, Elantra, Santa Fe, Tucson, Equus, and Sonata owners! Post in here under the thread that was automatically created for you, and tell us a little about yourself!

Newbie Needs Resonator Mod Help!

Old 03-11-2006, 07:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi - New forum member here, and I am eagerly looking forward to doing the resonator mod from your DIY forum. However the picture link that illustrates the procedure (http://img43.photobucket.com/albums/...orRemoval1.jpg) is not working any more. Could someone PLEASE post or PM me that photo? I don't want to start the procedure without it!

BTW, I have a silver 98 Tib with the (Canadian) Sport package (fogs, 15" alloys, 4 wheel disk brakes, etc.). It's only got 35K kilometers on it (about 20K miles) as I don't have to drive to work every day - it's in near perfect shape.

Thanks in advance!

Devon
Old 03-11-2006, 07:49 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Sorry about that, I just moved a bunch of my pictures in Photobucket for better organization.

Welcome to the site BTW, where did you find us?

Old 03-11-2006, 08:22 AM

Thanks for the fast response REDZMAN, diagram appreciated. As to where I heard about this forum, probably at Newtiburon.com - I quickly realized that was the wrong forum for me.

As I am a total newbie to doing any work on my car - I've never even changed the oil, as I live in a condo (actually I did put in a new battery once but that is it) - I have a few questions about the converter mod instructions:

"Open your air cleaner box" - exactly how do you do this? Are there bolts? snaps?

"Remove the plastic pipe on the back of the air filter box" - is this the air intake hose in the diagram?

"pop out the air temp sensor" - isn't this wired to something? Do you disconnect the wire?

"remove the bottom of the air cleaner box" - is that the part the diagram shows that has a connection to the air duct? If so do you need to do anything to loosen the connection with the air duct neck?

"cut the cable ties...." Do these have to be retied to something else at the end of the procedure, or do they just hang loose?

"under the battery tray, remove the 2 bolts" - Do you have to remove the battery to do this?
"Push the resonator out under the car" - can this be done without jacking the car up?

"the air cleaner housing" - I presume that is the same thing as "the bottom of the air cleaner box"?

"reinstall the bottom plate" - what is this - it was never mentioned as an "uninstall"!

Sorry for all the questions but I don't want to screw this up.....

Thanks,

Devon
Old 03-11-2006, 08:54 AM
http://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/images/vendor1.png

Vehicle: 01 Tiburon

welcome... welcome...

newbies are always welcome here. Don't forget to read the site rules and regulations

toronto huh? there are actually some members here that resides in GTA.
Old 03-11-2006, 09:00 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Devon @ Mar 11 2006, 08:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>"Open your air cleaner box" - exactly how do you do this? Are there bolts? snaps?</div>

Take a look at it and it's obvious, there are like 3 or 4 clips on there. Just pop them open and swing the hinges.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>"Remove the plastic pipe on the back of the air filter box" - is this the air intake hose in the diagram?</div>

Yup.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>"pop out the air temp sensor" - isn't this wired to something? Do you disconnect the wire?</div>

No, just remove it from the box. It's held in place via pressure through a rubber O ring. Just take it out and let it hang, then replace it when finished.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>"remove the bottom of the air cleaner box" - is that the part the diagram shows that has a connection to the air duct? If so do you need to do anything to loosen the connection with the air duct neck?</div>

Yes.

I can't remember, it's been about 5 years. I'd say if you need ANYTHING it'll be a screwdriver to undo a hose clamp. It may all just pull off though too.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>"cut the cable ties...." Do these have to be retied to something else at the end of the procedure, or do they just hang loose?</div>

Let them hang, unless you are paranoid. LOL

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>"under the battery tray, remove the 2 bolts" - Do you have to remove the battery to do this?</div>

You CAN, it might make it easier, but I had NO problem taking them off myself. It's up to you my friend.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>"Push the resonator out under the car" - can this be done without jacking the car up?</div>

Yup.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>"the air cleaner housing" - I presume that is the same thing as "the bottom of the air cleaner box"?</div>

The air cleaner housing is the top and bottom portion that clamp together. Just clean it out really good. A housing is always something that encases something else. IN this case, the housing incases the air cleaner (Filter).

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>"reinstall the bottom plate" - what is this - it was never mentioned as an "uninstall"!</div>

The bottom of the cleaner housing.

WHEW! Go out there with the tools suggested, you'll figure it out QUICKLY. Just look at the parts mentioned to remove, and you'll see what you have to take off to get those out.
Old 03-11-2006, 10:01 AM

Thanks - having built several computers my experience is that it's best to really know what you are doing before you start - helps keep the stress levels down. The Tib is my only vehicle, can't afford to mess it up!

Looking forward to reading about other possible upgrades. I listened to the sound of cat-back systems on the newer Tibs via sound files on Newtiburons.com - loved the sound of the Borla pipes, hope they can do the same for the RDs....