Introduction Welcome To Hyundai Aftermarket! We are the worlds #1 most active and Premier Hyundai Forum and Website for Tiburon, Genesis, Veloster, Accent, Elantra, Santa Fe, Tucson, Equus, and Sonata owners! Post in here under the thread that was automatically created for you, and tell us a little about yourself!

New Tiburon Owner

Old 01-22-2006, 04:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, i just recently purchased a used 98 tiburon with 2.0L. The car has 62,000 miles on it and runs great. Some areas of concern are such: there is a subtle ticking noise coming fromn the left side of the engine, it seems as though it is right behind the steering wheel on the left side. it is not constant and cant be heard at high rpms, even when idling it goes in and out, i think its more apparent after hard driving and then less pronounced when driven easier but again it can only be heard at low rpms and idle. A friend said it could be fuel injectors. The brakes vibrate when applied, but im sure thats the rotors. The clutch grabs really high, all you have to do is press it an inch and that is adaquete for shifting gears, not neccasarily a problem just different, can that be adjusted? When cruising at 85 or 90 the rpms read 4100, which seems high to me in comparison to other cars, is that normal?: I do alot of highway driving and i would love to be able to go those speeds just not having the engine work as hard, is there any way to smooth that out? Im very interested in doing engine mods to the car. im basically looking to increase torque throughout my rev range, and like i said im driving the car alot, work requires it. Highway and traffic. I want the power but im also interested providing the most comfort for the engine at consitent high speed, high rpm driving. Anything that would help the car breathe better,and allow it to work less hard to maintain higher speeds. Is synthetic oil really the way to go? What are some of the first mods i should be doing given the situation.....Thank You all
Old 01-22-2006, 04:23 PM

Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

you want to increase torque over the entire rpm band...

you want to improve engine efficiency...

sounds like you need to turbocharge your engine. One of the most effiecient ways of utilizing that wasted exhaust gas and turning it into power your engine can use. Plus you can get enough torque to floor it and cause skidmarks you'd thought weren't possible, and greatly increase torque over ALMOST the entire rpm band. At least where you are most of the time at 3K+

and start looking around this site, a LOT. You will learn so much about your car. There is a topic (if not two or three) on EVERY question you asked in that paragraph..

why are you cruising at 90mph? and yes that is normal for any 4cyl. tiburon.

synthetic oil has it's advantages, it's very consistent (you want that if you are turbo), has shown distinct advantageous over mineral based oils in frictional loss and withstanding high temps, (turbos get hot.. fing02.gif )..blah blah. Read about it.

Welcome to the RDT mang, I hope you find all the answer to your questions through searching our site. wink1.gif
Old 01-22-2006, 04:25 PM

Vehicle: Elantra HD / 2007

Hi! And welcome to the site!!! fing02.gif

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>there is a subtle ticking noise coming fromn the left side of the engine, it seems as though it is right behind the steering wheel on the left side. it is not constant and cant be heard at high rpms, even when idling it goes in and out</div>
probably this noise is coming from HLAs (hidraulic lifters that pops up valves). Is this noise more loud when you statr cold engine and then goes off?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>The brakes vibrate when applied, but im sure thats the rotors.</div>
You have warped rotors. As you have 98 year Tib, you probably have captive setup (you can see 4 bolts between 4 studs on the wheel hub. In captive setup to take of rotors you need to press out wheel bearings. It's PITA. But you can machine rotors without taking them from the car, so did I. Do not forget to use new brake pads with new rotors or machined rotors.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>When cruising at 85 or 90 the rpms read 4100, which seems high to me in comparison to other cars</div>
It's normal. It's beacuse of our gear ratios in the transmission.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Is synthetic oil really the way to go?</div>
Yes! fing02.gif I use fully synthetic oil. It's better than mineral oil.
Old 01-22-2006, 04:42 PM

actually when the engine is cold it doesnt seem as pronounced. It seems as though right after romping on it then stopping is when i hear it the most. It literally sounds like a watch ticking. As i accelarate i can hear it until i get higher in rpms. The sound doesnt get louder or faster as i accelarate. The clutch grabbing high, can that be adjusted?
Old 01-22-2006, 09:22 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

hey there! welcome to the boards.

if the breaks vibrate that's a sure sign it's been in an accident before... you want to get a 4-wheel alignment, brake line and brake fluid checked, rotors, calipers and brake pads, & axle checked. this can easily be fixed because the rotor or axle is most likely crooked.

got any pics? i'd love to see it! we all love our cars. i would never give it up for a GK because of the feeling and impression these cars gave me as a kid when they first came out.

good to know you want to modify the engine up a bit. kspec.com is there for us.
Old 01-23-2006, 03:57 AM

Vehicle: Elantra HD / 2007

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (HyundaiKitCoupe @ Jan 23 2006, 06:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>if the breaks vibrate that's a sure sign it's been in an accident before...</div>

Not really. After I installed new rotors (OEM) everything was fine, but then they got warped (probably I overheated them and got in a puddle). Car started shaken when brakes were applied. After resurfacing rotors braking back to normal.
Old 01-23-2006, 11:15 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Welcome to the site.

The ONLY place you should be doing 85 or 90 is at the track.

Keep it legal, or don't talk about it here.
Old 01-23-2006, 11:34 AM

Welcome thats low miles for a 98. Hope shes good to you.
Old 01-23-2006, 11:37 AM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

It seems as though about 90% of people hear that ticking noise, I think it's just normal to be honest. Both of the RD1s I've owned have done it.

Brakes problem sounds like warped rotors like Dmitry said.

Not sure about your clutch problem..

The high RPMs is due to a very short 5th gear in our trannies.

As far as breathing better, I would definitely suggest you start out your mods by getting an AEM cold air intake (check ebay). After you're comfortable with that, go on to get some headers and an exhaust (read about exhaust setups first though, otherwise you'll be made a fool of by either emissions, mechanics, or the cops because its too loud, heh). Unless you're experienced with cars, I wouldn't delve too far into turbos just yet..lol.

good luck and welcome