Introduction Welcome To Hyundai Aftermarket! We are the worlds #1 most active and Premier Hyundai Forum and Website for Tiburon, Genesis, Veloster, Accent, Elantra, Santa Fe, Tucson, Equus, and Sonata owners! Post in here under the thread that was automatically created for you, and tell us a little about yourself!

New Member - A Few Questions About Mods

Old 02-10-2006, 05:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all,

This is my first post on this board. I found it a few weeks ago and it's been a great asset for information. I'm posting in here because I didn't have rights to post in the performance section. Maybe that's a rule here for n00bs? I looked, but didn't see anything about that. Possibly the mods can move this if they see fit?

Anyways, on to my questions and comments...

I own a 2001 Tiburon, 5 speed. It was purchased new for $13,400 (good deal, eh?) and now that it's paid off and I'm outside of warranty (I realize I have time left on drivetrain), I'm ready for some mods.

So far I've done the following -

<u>Exterior mods</u>
Alteeza Tail Lights
Clear Corners
HID-ish Headlights
Metal Grille Inserts

<u>Interior mods</u>
Kenwood MP3 Deck, JBL Speakers, Cerwin Sub
Shift Knob (unknown brand)
Cheap short shifter (getting installed next weekend - see more below)
Damn, thats all sad.gif

<u>Performance mods</u>
Weapon-R Secret Weapon w/ Ram Air Kit (getting installed next weekend, and yes, I know you guys don't like Weapon-R, but I got the stuff pretty damn cheap)
NGK Iridium IX Plugs
NGK High Performance Wires

Now, on to my questions...

As stated above, I purchased a lame short shifter and plan to install it next weekend. I am going to swap this out for a TWM Performance shifter when they are available for the RD2 (TWM says Spring/Summer availability). Here is a picture of the shifter I purchased -
It came with no directions, and only three little parts in a small bag. Is this all I'm going to need to swap it out? I don't know how to describe the parts more than saying one is round, about the size of a penny, another is pac-man-like, again, the size of a penny, and the last part is cylindical and about 1.5" long. I've looked over the DIY shifter installs. Hopefully this will walk me thru it, but I'm open to other comments. And yes, I realize this shifter isn't great, but I'm only going to use it until I get the TWM in a few months.

I have about $1000 - $1500 that I want to put into my car besides the TWM shifter. My main interest is performance, and from what I can tell the best bet for the money is Header, Cat-Back, Pullys and a Cam. Here are my questions for those -

Headers/Exhaust - I know you guys generally dislike OBX/SSAuto, but is there anywhere else to get a header and exhaust set that is anywhere near the cost of those sold by SSAuto? With shipping, those products provided by SSAuto run less than $500. Now, I'm willing to spend more for a better product, but I don't want to throw down much more than $700 for both header and exhaust. Let me know what you guys think.

Pullys - From what I've read, a lot of the overdrive pullys out there wont work right with the 2001 because of a spline needed (or not needed?). Does anyone have a good place to find ones that will fit? I don't believe there is an issue with the underdrive pullys out there. But if there is, please let me know.

A few other questions -

There are a TON of strut bars out there. Are all created equal, or is there really a big difference between them? Is the rear strut bar anywhere near as important as the front?

I have 63,000 miles and was told I should replace my timing belt. Is a kit like this needed, or is there a better/cheaper route? - http://www.kspec.com/list.php?ac_id=80&ai_id=1485

What exactly is the benefit of cam sprokets?

OK, I think that is more than enough for now. I greatly appreciate any info provided. Thanks in advance for your time!

-Dillon
01 Tib / 5-speed
Old 02-10-2006, 06:10 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Performance mods
Weapon-R Secret Weapon w/ Ram Air Kit (getting installed next weekend, and yes, I know you guys don't like Weapon-R, but I got the stuff pretty damn cheap)
NGK Iridium IX Plugs
NGK High Performance Wires</div>

weapon-r is pure crap i bet you would have gotten the same gains as just removing your resonator
aem is your best bet and those can be found for 100 on ebay or you can get a knockoff and put a k&n filter for like 40 bux total
the plugs gained you .01 hp

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Headers/Exhaust - I know you guys generally dislike OBX/SSAuto, but is there anywhere else to get a header and exhaust set that is anywhere near the cost of those sold by SSAuto? With shipping, those products provided by SSAuto run less than $500. Now, I'm willing to spend more for a better product, but I don't want to throw down much more than $700 for both header and exhaust. Let me know what you guys think.</div>

the obx header is your best buy seriously
most people dont like that header cuz it buzzes a little more but for a difference of what 300 bux i think its worth it (i own one and it doesnt bother me)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Pullys - From what I've read, a lot of the overdrive pullys out there wont work right with the 2001 because of a spline needed (or not needed?). Does anyone have a good place to find ones that will fit? I don't believe there is an issue with the underdrive pullys out there. But if there is, please let me know.</div>

the only pulley that would net you any respectible horsepower would be the crank pulley(which dynoed at 8hp once by its self) the other ones will give you a total of like 2hp for all of the pulleys you add just get the crank one and be done with it no worries about splines or nothin although the crank pulley will need new belts the part numbers have been posted before

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>There are a TON of strut bars out there. Are all created equal, or is there really a big difference between them? Is the rear strut bar anywhere near as important as the front?</div>

both bars will help with some when i installed the front i got a little less wheel hop which is nice for racing also it is a easy install and you will gain some handling in the process get one from a good source i believe there is one for sale in our forum somewhere just dont get the cheapo ebay 10 special it will bend on ya and if you plan on getting a airram the strut bar wont fit it so keep that in mind

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>I have 63,000 miles and was told I should replace my timing belt. Is a kit like this needed, or is there a better/cheaper route? - http://www.kspec.com/list.php?ac_id=80&ai_id=1485</div>

yes get a timing belt replacement and do the water pump at the same time that kit is priced ok but it is recommended if you dont know much about mechanics to get it done cuz you can blow your engine up if you do it wrong do the crank pulley and the timing belt at the same time since you gotta remove the stock crank pulley to do the timing belt

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>What exactly is the benefit of cam sprokets?</div>

there really isnt one for stock cams so unless you got some like 272 cams dont bother with them it will only piss you off cuz you gotta dyno for best effect

JUST SO YOU KNOW

most people wouldnt have spent the time to post all this info its all been talked about before ALOT do a search youll find your answer
Old 02-10-2006, 06:23 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Best opening post I've read LOL. Most of the time its "Hi i 0wn a 2001 Tibur0nn and want to modefy it."

Faith basically answered all your questions. You'll find everything you need to know about the cars here. As for the header thing, I agree. Headers don't do too much.
Old 02-10-2006, 06:26 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

i just realized this was in introductions

man we have specialized topics here this section is so you can introduce yourself

and i just thought of somethin else for the price of the 500 header you can run a 50 shot of nitrous and get a lot more hp
Old 02-10-2006, 09:00 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tiburon

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tribaltek @ Feb 10 2006, 07:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Maybe that's a rule here for n00bs? I looked, but didn't see anything about that. Possibly the mods can move this if they see fit?</div>
haha. its stickied in every forum. oh well, no big deal

wavey.gif

welcome to the site. now you can post in all the forums. and, before you ask a question, use the search feature. if that doesn't help, then post a new thread
Old 02-10-2006, 09:49 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Yeah, the Weapon R is worse than driving without a filter.

LOL

BTW, that shifter will NOT WORK WITH YOUR CAR.
Old 02-11-2006, 03:00 AM

Vehicle: Elantra HD / 2007

Welcome to the site!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>I'm posting in here because I didn't have rights to post in the performance section. Maybe that's a rule here for n00bs?</div>
Yes, it's for n00bs. wink1.gif It's introduction section, you post info about yourself. Then you will have access to all forums.

Have you thought about turbocharging your Tibby?