Introduction Welcome To Hyundai Aftermarket! We are the worlds #1 most active and Premier Hyundai Forum and Website for Tiburon, Genesis, Veloster, Accent, Elantra, Santa Fe, Tucson, Equus, and Sonata owners! Post in here under the thread that was automatically created for you, and tell us a little about yourself!

New Guy With Big Ambitions

Old 04-14-2006, 10:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey, my name is Tyler i am 20 and i am from indiana. i have a 2000 tiburon. all that has been done to it so far is, CAI, cat-back exhaust, 17 inch rims, CF hood, and a few other exterior upgrades. my question is, what can i do to get my car in the low 14's or 13's in the quarter mile? i also have an automatic. please leave a tranny swap and turbo out of your suggestions. i would like to stick with the auto because it is too hard to find everything needed around here. so please just give me some good suggestions out what i can do to hit my goals. thanks
Old 04-14-2006, 10:29 PM

welcome to the site

only thing thatll get you there without turbo is nitrous. but thats risky on an auto tranny
Old 04-15-2006, 09:43 AM

a couple of grand worth of NA mods and you MIGHT hit the 14 mark... but no 13's. sry man but if you really wanna go that fast, go turbo. its honestly cheaper than buying all the little parts that give a couple of horsepower each.
Old 04-15-2006, 09:46 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Uhm, with 17 inch rims (unless they are VERY light), and an automatic, the only way you'll reach those speeds is to add another engine in the trunk.

I'm serious.

Read through the site, look at the REAL stuff you have to do to get your car to where you want it.

Frankly though, a Manual swap should get you into the 15's. Light nitrous could do into the high 14's.

As for finding the stuff for a swap, it's easy.

www.car-parts.com

www.ebay.com

You can find everything you need.
Old 04-15-2006, 11:17 AM

Vehicle: 2000/Hyundai/Tiburon

Well, you have the CAI and exhaust. Get 272 cams, 4-2-1 headers if you don't have them, 4-1 if you go manual. Bigger injectors and fuel pump, upgraded ECU, AIRRAM intake with thermoblock spacer, lightweight pulleys, better ground and cables and plugs, P&P head, raise the compression, add nitrous. Then you risk blowing the auto tranny.
Old 04-15-2006, 11:47 AM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

The amount of power it will take the car to hit 13s is more than the amount of power the auto tranny is going to take. Also, the amount of money you will spend to hit 13s on N/A is going to be like twice that that you would spend turboing. You need to search this site. And before you even say it, because I KNOW you're thinking it about now, the answer to a supercharger is no. For the reasons behind this you can once again search. Search for "alpine supercharger" or something. LOTS of info on the topic.
Basically, you can't hit 13s with the auto tranny unless you spend serious amounts of money upgrading it..and if you're going to do that you may as well just do a 5spd swap. Hell, there was a guy on here parting out his car and he was selling EVERYTHING needed to convert an automatic to a 5spd for around $700 shipped. Then, if you are mechanically inclined or have friends/relatives that are, you can print off the instructions (with pictures even!) that walk you step-by-step HOW to swap an automatic to a manual.
Take it from me...I used to have an automatic. cool.gif

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (purpletib @ Apr 15 2006, 12:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Well, you have the CAI and exhaust. Get 272 cams, 4-2-1 headers if you don't have them, 4-1 if you go manual. Bigger injectors and fuel pump, upgraded ECU, AIRRAM intake with thermoblock spacer, lightweight pulleys, better ground and cables and plugs, P&P head, raise the compression, add nitrous. Then you risk blowing the auto tranny.</div>
That about sums it up.
OR, you could spend about $1000 less than that setup and make way more power by swapping to a 5spd, and turbo it.
Old 04-15-2006, 11:58 AM

ok you guys talked me into the tranny swap. i found this on this site. he selling almost everything. please just tell me if this would work and what else i would need. thanks guys

"I got almost everything you need for sale.

New 6 puck stage 3 clutch kit (pressure plate, clutch disk, throw out bearing, alignment tool)
New master cylinder
New slave cylinder
New manual starter
New short shifter
Shifter assembly
Manual brake pedal assembly with sensor
Clutch pedal assembly with sensor
Clutch fluid resevoir
Line from master to resevoir

$350

With 2001 Elantra trans 21k. $600

All you will need is the flywheel, line from master to slave, shift selector cables, mounts (if needed)"
Old 04-15-2006, 11:59 AM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

Check out this example, this just shows you how EASY it is to do the swap. Within a few days of posting this this guy had TWO people offering complete kits to swap, and one guy who's not too far away offering to help him with it and find all the parts... http://www.rdtiburon.com/index.php?showtop...=0&#entry212693
Old 04-15-2006, 12:21 PM

Before you invest any time upgrading the auto, please SWAP IT.

Auto trannies suck to begin with, and with our cars they're even more sucky.

Read up on any car review on the 97-01 Tib and how much faster it is with a manual transmission.

I'm still trying to swap my transmission, hopefully before the summertime but chances are it'll be during the summer..