Introduction Welcome To Hyundai Aftermarket! We are the worlds #1 most active and Premier Hyundai Forum and Website for Tiburon, Genesis, Veloster, Accent, Elantra, Santa Fe, Tucson, Equus, and Sonata owners! Post in here under the thread that was automatically created for you, and tell us a little about yourself!

New guy

Old 04-05-2010, 10:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2003 hyundai accent gl
Default New guy

Whats up my name is marc and i live in florida, im a big fox body guy and have an 03 accent 1.6. Its a good daily driver but im looking to make it a little more fun to drive, have already deleted the intake silencer and have a test pipe in place of the muffler and installed 8k hid's.
Old 04-05-2010, 11:04 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

welcome2.gif to the site! Sounds like a good start to the modding. TONS of Accent owners here, so feel free to ask any questions you may have.
Old 04-05-2010, 11:14 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Welcome... What part of FL?
Old 04-05-2010, 03:22 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Subaru Legacy 2.5l Limited

welcome.gif to the forum! be sure to check out the accent forum to get ideas some ideas for your accent.
Old 04-05-2010, 03:45 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

welcome.gif

I have an '87 Fox Body Cougar XR-7 also. Gotta love the potential of the Fox Body cars.

There are a ton of things that can be done to the Accent from mild to wild depending on how much time/energy/money you want to put into it. We can point you in the right direction no matter what your goals are.
Old 04-05-2010, 08:22 PM

Vehicle: 2004 hyundai tiburon

welcome.gif
Old 04-06-2010, 09:02 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (187sks @ Apr 5 2010, 05:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>welcome.gif

I have an '87 Fox Body Cougar XR-7 also. Gotta love the potential of the Fox Body cars.

There are a ton of things that can be done to the Accent from mild to wild depending on how much time/energy/money you want to put into it. We can point you in the right direction no matter what your goals are.</div>

fox body mustangs here.

i have read that the "alpha" trans, im assuming thats what you guys call a 1.6 dohc trans. is a total box of sh!t.
is there anything that is better that can go in place of it, or a complete drivetrain swap? i saw something about a beta swap, does the beta 2.0 and trans bolt into an accent?
Old 04-06-2010, 09:04 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bommello @ Apr 5 2010, 01:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Welcome... What part of FL?</div>

North Port
Old 04-07-2010, 01:29 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

The Alpha trans is the trans used on the Alpha family of engines, ranging from 1.3l to 1.6l, including your 1.6l.

I wouldn't call it horrible, it's just not good. Specifically it has 2 major issues. First of all, they tend to have crappy synchros that make the 1-2 shift bang and grind which gets progressively worse with time until it gets difficult to shift because everything involved has been rounded off. That can mostly be fixed by running Redline MT-90 in the trans unless the bad shifting is already severe. The second issue is that if you run enough torque through it and drive it rough you'll blow it up pretty quickly most of the time. It seems like "enough torque" seems to be about 135 ft/lbs, but that's not a hard and fast rule, some people have been running that much or more torque through it for years with no problems.

A 2.0l does swap in easily by engine swap standards at least. You'll have to make a new passenger's side motor mount, and depending on how much clearance you want for changing the belts you may want to slot the holes on the other motor and trans mounts to let you shift it a bit towards the driver's side. The 2.0l does bolt to your transmission and that's a proven way of doing the swap, but you can also fit the entire Beta 2.0l engine and trans into the Accent. It's a tight(er) fit, but it works.

If your trans isn't giving you any trouble at this point, I would switch to Redline MT-90. If you want to do the Beta swap, I would still use your trans unless you're dead set against swapping out the trans if you have a problem later.